Impact on weapons

Yuuichi

Miqo'te Bard
Oct 25, 2009
So here I am super excited I got a legendary weapon Doctor Nope from an engram. It has higher attack then my currently equped auto rifle so you would think it would deal more damage. So I go to patrol and do a headshot...52 dmg...wtf this is lower than my old one. I equip my old one, which has lower attack but higher impact, and headshot...82, wait wtf is going on? So I then go and grab my lvl 16 auto rifle with less attack than both, but more impact than both, I headshot...110....WTF???? Why is impact such a heavy stat that determine dmg. I mean why would I ever want a lower impact weapon that has higher attack? Yes I still plan to get that other legendary auto rifle with more impact, but really how much of a noob do I feel at 26 using a lvl 16 auto rifle. This game needs some balancing, but anyone care to explain this?

Merchant

Elite Member
Jul 23, 2006
As far as I understand it is, attack is how well the weapon will do against enemy armor rating.
Impact is more directly correlated to damage per shot, but is calculated without enemy armor being taken into account.
Enemy armor is calculated in proportion to your level. Higher level than you = higher armor. Lower level than you = lower armor.

So with enemies equal level or higher (those who have higher armor rating) a higher attack stat will be more beneficial as it will punch through that armor. Enemies your level or higher will get much more efficiency out of your attack stat.

When you are fighting lower level enemies, their armor is easily breached and the impact stat is becoming more pronounced, as any weapon will break through the armor easily and the bonus impact damage will be more effective. But with higher level enemies it does not fully penetrate their armor rating.

But I could be completely wrong. But so far this is my understanding of it.

Last edited:

XperienZ

Apprentice
Aug 1, 2007
Wales, UK
Dunno if you were firing the gun from the same distance each time, but range has an impact too... guns with high range do their full damage from a further distance and the damage decreases rapidly once you're outside its operational range. Also, from what I've read, the scope you choose has a huge effect on damage - Each one seems to have its own damage multiplier which sounds like it'd have a big influence on damage done, particularly from distance.

I think you just need to experiment, especially with the upgrades, until you're happy with the gun you have (I'm still using a level 18 rifle at level 26 so it's not unusual)!

Yuuichi

Miqo'te Bard
Oct 25, 2009
So basically because I tested it with low lvl mobs impact was a bigger factor but if I go against mods my lvl the attack will have more dmg calculation.

str8upnobs

Dedicated Member
Feb 25, 2007
www.highhenchmen.com
Also have to take in consideration the Range , Stability , Fire rate of said gun. Generally lower impact will mean the gun has a higher fire rate or a mixture of balance on all stats. Making it an OVERALL better weapon , attack wise at least.

Say if you are only doing 55 dmg with that new gun , but avg 3 more shots into the enemy in the same amount of time it = higher DPS. Imo you aren't after the one shot kill , but an overall quicker kill in general. Leave the one shots for the sniper rifles and gold guns.

Last edited: