Improving the ps2 graphics on a ps3

GrayFox9593

Dedicated Member
Sep 19, 2006
I'll have to try that, I noticed that Tourist Trophy looked like crap, thats the only PS2 game Ive tried on the PS3 so far.

Nov 14, 2006
I have it run through composite and Socom looks fine, on the other hand lego star wars looks like shiiiiiiiieeeeet.

Sep 9, 2006
Does anyone know if new ps2 games will still look like crap on my PS3. The only game I am concerned about it God of War 2. Is it still gonna look awful, or will it be better since they know of this problem and will fix it?

Nov 14, 2006
[QUOTE="USMC99, post: 0]Does anyone know if new ps2 games will still look like crap on my PS3. The only game I am concerned about it God of War 2. Is it still gonna look awful, or will it be better since they know of this problem and will fix it?[/quote]

Just a guess, but a big new firmware update is coming in March, i bet you will be able to downvert (is that a word?) the resolution, and my guess is the aliasing issue will be fixed too. So to the answer of your question, yes it will be fixed but probably not for couple months.

Nov 14, 2006
when i first played god of war on my ps3 the jaggies were pretty bad...but then i went to the menu in game and switched GOW to progressive scan mode ( the only game i have with this option from ps2 ) and it looks great...for GOW i would go this route but for others like FFXII ill have to give this a try.

Hexadecimal

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2006
I don't see what the issue is...The PS2 games look bad because they have to be upscaled in order to be viewed full screen in HD.

M

majinvegeta

this COULD POSSIBLY be a dumb question, however, what if I play the games via my pc? cant I use a software to upscale the image??

Doesn't De-Interlacing do just that? clear the image so it looks better?? I was thinking maybe I should just have it plugged via component > tv tuner (crappy but a tuner nonetheless) and use a program on my PC to view PS3 when I wanna play PS2 games.

I have done this using my PS2 in the past, but the quality still doesn't turn out to be that great :(. Anyone have some suggestions?

P209

Master Poster
Jun 19, 2006
Do your PS2 games look too jaggy on the PS3? Here's a semi-fix... [update 1]

Posted Dec 30th 2006 4:45PM by Nick Doerr
Filed under: News, Culture
We're calling this a semi-fix because not everybody has their television set up like I do (in Athens, not at home... this one rocks out with HDMI and such). A while back, we did a short investigation on the YouTube video claiming PS2 games look a lot worse on the PS3 -- in my particular case, it appears to be true. Kind of. Yes, there are a lot more jaggies and oh, goodness, the text is atrocious. There is, however, light at the end of this tunnel. I'll tell you how my TV's set up to quickly repair the damaged graphics.

All right, so currently my PS3 is connected to my TV via the HDMI and those cruddy composite cables -- the yellow, white, and red. Why both? Because my TV has channels dedicated to both. When I run a PS2 game on the HDMI channel, yeah, it looks bad. So what do I do? Go to my Display Settings and swap the PS3 back onto the 480i channel -- the channel most PS2 games were probably meant to be seen in. I think that's the problem -- PS2 games didn't plan on getting their resolutions increased so drastically. Anyway... so I swap it back to 480i and re-load the PS2 game and guess what? The text is gorgeous and the graphics look fine. I think. They don't look perfect, but it's a lot better than the HDMI shows.

You guys can go ahead and test this if your TV is prepared for the journey of multiple wires. Or computer monitor, which I know a lot of you swear by (and rightly so, it seems)! Let us know if this works for you. In all seriousness, though, it doesn't bother me that much. If I can still enjoy the gameplay, I don't mind having a jaggy sword, or funny-looking handrails. Perhaps Sony will strive to fix this in the future, but for now, keep your PS2 hooked up if it gets too unbearable.

[update: As I continue to screw around with different games, if you crack out any 2D-centric titles (Atelier Iris 2 in my case), the graphics actually look better with HDMI. The backgrounds have a few splotchy points, but the sprites are much, much sharper.]
for the lazy people like myself

jason551

Apprentice
Nov 18, 2006
ToP209,

Excellent idea, I was going to try this when I got a PS3, not having one handy, I didn't want to jump in and say something. But I was thinking the same thing. Just play the ps2 games in analog until a firmware fix comes out. *Brilliant* ;)

Tha_Legend

Superior Member
Dec 16, 2006
Florida
[QUOTE="Deafboy, post: 0]I have it run through composite and Socom looks fine, on the other hand lego star wars looks like shiiiiiiiieeeeet.[/QUOTE]

That's because SOCOM supports 480p. Try Metal Gear Solid 3, it's the worst looking out of all my PS3 games. I hope this can be fixed with a firmware update that Sony is willing to release.

takuya

Superior Member
Dec 17, 2006
www.tupeck.com
This is what I did. have the composite cables plugged in for FFXII and other PS2 games. Look ok to me - not perfect, but not the horror that was HDMI without upconversion.

PS3fan15

Forum Elder
Oct 10, 2006
[QUOTE="USMC99, post: 0]Does anyone know if new ps2 games will still look like crap on my PS3. The only game I am concerned about it God of War 2. Is it still gonna look awful, or will it be better since they know of this problem and will fix it?[/quote]

Looks the same with an SDTV. All my games have no scaling issues whatsoever with SDTV.

Once I get my HDTV for MY PS3, I guess I will still be using my SDTV for PS2 games. XD (that is if the scaling sucks)

Anyway It's been fun..

Dec 5, 2006
i noticed if you put it on 480p it fixes it somewhat.maybe its just me.i dunno i play san andreas alot and thats about it on ps2 games plan on getting like 9 games in the mail though ill check it out i can have my ps3 hooked up through composite and component at the same time but id hate having to change the video output all the time.i havent noticed any problems maybe its just hdmi, i use component.