In Japan, The Vita Has More Upcoming Games Than Any Other Console

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Overseas, the PS Vita continues to struggle, but in Japan, things are looking better for Sony's handheld.
Things have not been easy for the little portable console ever since its launch over 3 years ago. One of the biggest complaints early on after the Vita's release was the lackluster library of games. However, since then, things have picked up somewhat. While it has yet to release a million-selling game in Japan, the selection has become robust enough that I no longer feel embarrassed for it when I walk through the Vita section of my local game store

Not only that, but looking at the schedule of upcoming game releases, the number of games coming out for each console shows a rather stark contrast.
Number of games scheduled for release in Japan up to the end of March:
3DS: 17
Wii U: 2
PSP: 6
PS Vita: 39
PS3: 22
PS4: 22
Xbox 360: 4
Xbox One: 8
Yes, while the Vita does have the most games coming out, that doesn't mean that it's going to rake in the most in terms of game sales – Nintendo has proven time and time again that itcontinues to reign in that area. Still, more games does indicate more developer confidence in the system, which can hopefully lead to more killer games on the system down the line.

The PS Vita is still trudging uphill outside of Japan, especially considering the difference inhandheld console popularity between cultures. Even so, it's nice to see that it's got a relatively secure foothold on its home ground and that its library is expanding.
http://kotaku.com/in-japan-the-vita-has-more-upcoming-games-than-any-oth-1678196355

huh? More games = more sales?

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
West struggles because we're not that much interested in the indies, we want more AAA games...
If there'd be some more (decent ones, not glitchy/laggy alike AC:L) then the Vita would sell more..

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK
I'd beg to differ, Indie titles are massive in the West, in fact they sell way more than AAA titles cumulatively. The problem is that Japanese games are very niche. There is a cult following (like myself) for niche Japanese games to come over to the West but not enough people are there to warrant a translation. Having said that though the amount of new Japanese games coming out on Steam is crazy! Perhaps they're just testing the waters on Steam to see if there's enough of a reason to port it across to the Western market on the Vita/PS4. It's great to see that the Vita has a lot of games being developed for it though. If none are going to come out West then I'm so glad that I'm studying Japanese right now because I'm going to be importing a lot of Vita games otherwise. :snicker

DarkVincent07

Trying not to break stuff...
Mar 4, 2008
Sydney
[QUOTE="WaxWeazle, post: 6412578]West struggles because we're not that much interested in the indies, we want more AAA games...
If there'd be some more (decent ones, not glitchy/laggy alike AC:L) then the Vita would sell more..[/QUOTE]

Most of the upcoming Vita games in Japan aren't indie games. But they aren't "AAA" either. They are just Japanese mid-tier mid budget developed games that do very well on the platform.

I wish I knew Japanese because there are just more and more fantastic games coming out on the Vita. It's a shame that no western developers/gamers seem to care about the system. Thankfully a bunch of these Japanese games are coming westward, but not enough

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Good that more games for Vita in Japan and that will continue to help the handheld but i'd be a real challenge to outsell the 3DS and its several models.

West do generally prefer AAA and some of the indie titles comes to Steam before Vita such as Banner Saga and its sequel is coming to current gen consoles this year by the time banner Saga on Vita releases as well as Resident Evil Revelations port which is coming after it's console release.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
I don't think it is any good news for west. Vita is turning to a Japan-only console day by day.

AaronSOLDIER

Ultimate Veteran
Apr 5, 2007
forums.final7fantasy.com
Personally I prefer AA to AAA any day, I'd gladly take the likes of Silent Hill, Grim Fandango, Clock Tower over Call of Duty, Assassins Creed and the rest of the overrated yearly releases. Most indies can piss off though, make something original like Minecraft, Terreria, No Mans Sky and whatnot, enough with the 8bit ripoffs already.

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="AaronSOLDIER, post: 6412837]Personally I prefer AA to AAA any day, I'd gladly take the likes of Silent Hill, Grim Fandango, Clock Tower over Call of Duty, Assassins Creed and the rest of the overrated yearly releases. Most indies can piss off though, make something original like Minecraft, Terreria, No Mans Sky and whatnot, enough with the 8bit ripoffs already.[/QUOTE]

I've enjoyed more AA games on Vita than AAA games....that is certain.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
As do I same as with A.
Anything beats companies constantly milking their AAA franchises each year.
YS Memories Of Celceta was a great Vita game and that came from a low budget Japan company.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
It's a good game fun party/hack and slash gameplay just needs improvement in the camera which from the looks of the it Ys Next is going to fix the camera.