Independence Day: Resurgence - Official Trailer

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[video=youtube;LbduDRH2m2M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbduDRH2m2M[/video]

We always knew they were coming back. After INDEPENDENCE DAY redefined the event movie genre, the next epic chapter delivers global spectacle on an unimaginable scale. Using recovered alien technology, the nations of Earth have collaborated on an immense defense program to protect the planet. But nothing can prepare us for the aliens’ advanced and unprecedented force. Only the ingenuity of a few brave men and women can bring our world back from the brink of extinction.
Official site: http://www.warof1996.com/

I personally don't care that Will Smith isn't in this movie as I liked Jeff Goldblum more in the original. Anyways, this looks pretty cool.

Last edited:

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
I was very shocked when I saw the trailer. I pieced together that it was Independence Day quickly and I chuckled because I figured it would be terrible. Actually looked pretty cool. Will not being in it doesn't bother me at all. I'm actually looking forward to this one.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
Oh nice!! Thanks for the news, but Will Smith at least should have a side role or something... The dude made an amazing job back in the first movie.

ArnoldRimmer

Superior Member
May 23, 2015
On Red Dwarf....
I think it'll be okay, get past the good bless America stuff and you'll get a half decent popcorn movie for some good explosions and mindless entertainment. (Like pretty much any Michael Bay film I.e explosion, explosion, character talks about explosion, explosion etc etc)

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="jj03, post: 6493912]according to the story, hiller was killed in 2007, testing alien hardware...xcom vibes..[/QUOTE]
Yeah, here's the official website: http://www.warof1996.com/

Cool stuff.

Last edited:

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
The original Independence Day is just a really entertaining popcorn film with a lot of likable characters. It's not like the filmmakers have to worry about making something too complex or deep with this sequel in order to live up to the legacy.

So hopefully this movie is just a plain ol' bundle of fun. It definitely has a far different look than the original, but it seems promising from an action perspective. The biggest question is how the the characters and humor are handled.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 6494115]The original Independence Day is just a really entertaining popcorn film with a lot of likable characters. It's not like the filmmakers have to worry about making something too complex or deep with this sequel in order to live up to the legacy.

So hopefully this movie is just a plain ol' bundle of fun. It definitely has a far different look than the original, but it seems promising from an action perspective. The biggest question is how the the characters and humor are handled.[/QUOTE]
I was curious to see which direction they would take with a sequel but the X-COM-like angle is pretty interesting. I also wonder how the aliens will look like with today's special effects.

Lebowski

Master Sage
Nov 29, 2007
Bowling
If there's one thing about this director (Roland Emmerich) is that he LOVES destruction. All his movies, except maybe Stargate and Universal Soldier feature massive amounts of destruction. No, not just some big explosions like Michael Bay. This guy loves blowing up famous buildings, landmarks and entire cities and countries. ID4:R seems like it's gonna dwarf 2012, which makes me happy. Afterall, it was ID4 that started his destruction trend. So go big or go home.

Ezekiel

Forum Sage
Apr 29, 2006
Meh. I'm on the fence with this one. Guess we'll have to see how well it does. I'm glad Will Smith isn't going to be in it.

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
I think it looks alright. I could think of many other movies that deserve a sequel over Independence Day.

The original was about a 7/10 movie in my opinion. The script was somewhat cheesy and the humor was meh. For example, the scene shown in the 2nd post here is so ridiculous to me. Make it a serious movie OR a complete comedy like Mars Attacks, not some odd mix of both. It's a mildly entertaining movie but there's so many better alien movies.

Alien movies like Mars Attacks, Men In Black, E.T., A.I., Fire in the Sky, Contact, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Moon, K-Pax, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, or Mission to Mars were all more entertaining than ID in my opinion.

I think I'll wait for this sequel to hit the streaming services before I see it.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Forum Sage
Apr 29, 2006
[QUOTE="Chewbacca, post: 6498028]I think it looks alright. I could think of many other movies that deserve a sequel over Independence Day.

The original was about a 7/10 movie in my opinion. The script was somewhat cheesy and the humor was meh. For example, the scene shown in the 2nd post here is so ridiculous to me. Make it a serious movie OR a complete comedy like Mars Attacks, not some odd mix of both. It's a mildly entertaining movie but there's so many better alien movies.

Alien movies like Mars Attacks, E.T., A.I., Fire in the Sky, Contact, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Moon, or Mission to Mars were all more entertaining than ID in my opinion.

I think I'll wait for this sequel to hit the streaming services before I see it.[/QUOTE]

Um. A.I. was not an alien movie. It was about humans creating artificial intelligence and yet still going extinct. It was an excellent movie but it wasn't about aliens.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="Chewbacca, post: 6498028]I think it looks alright. I could think of many other movies that deserve a sequel over Independence Day.

Alien movies like Mars Attacks, E.T., A.I., Fire in the Sky, Contact, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Moon, or Mission to Mars were all more entertaining than ID in my opinion.

I think I'll wait for this sequel to hit the streaming services before I see it.[/QUOTE]
I think that Mars Attacks is really the only movie you could compare with Independence Day as they're both alien invasion films though Independence Day's appeal was that it managed to be both serious and fun. For example, the 2014 remake of Godzilla is serious whereas Pacific Rim is both serious and fun and I enjoyed the latter movie more.

The truth is that I've always wanted to see another movie like Independence Day about aliens invading our world and there's no better disaster movie director that comes to mind than Roland Emmerich; there are more talented movie directors in the industry, sure, but we're talking about a specific genre of movies, hence the hype for this sequel.

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
[QUOTE="Ezekiel, post: 6498120]Um. A.I. was not an alien movie. It was about humans creating artificial intelligence and yet still going extinct. It was an excellent movie but it wasn't about aliens.[/QUOTE]

I understand that I'm in the minority here but I'm still entitled to my opinion.

While I agree that A.I. is mostly about artificial intelligence and human relations with said intelligence, it still has an alien presence, albeit brief. I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it but all I'll say is re-watch the end of the movie. :p

You could say the same thing about Mission to Mars too. It's mostly about Mars until you get to the end.

K-Pax is a movie which leaves the door open to interpretation but one could say it's about an alien.

Contact is about listening for signs of life in space and then building a portal which no one understands at first. There's no real alien presence until towards the end of the movie though. I'd still consider it an alien movie even though you don't see slimy, colored figures with odd shaped heads.

I'm not bashing ID or the sequel, I'm just saying I think there's better movies in my opinion. The first Men In Black is a good example of humor and action working better IMO. I didn't care for the mix of humor and action in ID but I still give it a solid 7/10. I think iRobot is probably my favorite Will Smith movie even though it's not about aliens.

Keep calm and carry on! :)

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Forum Sage
Apr 29, 2006
[QUOTE="Chewbacca, post: 6498196]I understand that I'm in the minority here but I'm still entitled to my opinion.

While I agree that A.I. is mostly about artificial intelligence and human relations with said intelligence, it still has an alien presence, albeit brief. I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it but all I'll say is re-watch the end of the movie. :p

You could say the same thing about Mission to Mars too. It's mostly about Mars until you get to the end.

K-Pax is a movie which leaves the door open to interpretation but one could say it's about an alien.

Contact is about listening for signs of life in space and then building a portal which no one understands at first. There's no real alien presence until towards the end of the movie though. I'd still consider it an alien movie even though you don't see slimy, colored figures with odd shaped heads.

I'm not bashing ID or the sequel, I'm just saying I think there's better movies in my opinion. The first Men In Black is a good example of humor and action working better IMO. I didn't care for the mix of humor and action in ID but I still give it a solid 7/10. I think iRobot is probably my favorite Will Smith movie even though it's not about aliens.

Keep calm and carry on! :)[/QUOTE]

I have to respectfully disagree about "A.I." I believe the beings at the end of the movie are vastly advanced descendants of the original human A.I. robots that were created 2000 years prior.

As for Independence Day, I have to agree with you that it was rather lackluster. Sure, it was a great movie for the visual candy it gave us but to assert it's one of the greatest films of the 90s is a bit subjective. Not the best movie but most certainly not the worst either.