Inside the Vita, PSV memory /usb slots shown.

Wasib

Super Elite
Feb 2, 2007
Yup there they are - the memory card slot (for storage of games, music, video, pictures etc) and the PlayStation Vita game-card slot. It does look a little messy in there though - lots of holes and gaps. Also I am not sure if I am a fan of those pull-out flaps. They seem fiddly to use.

Last edited:

Nitey

Elite Guru
Jan 17, 2011
Does look quite messy, yeah. Maybe they'll polish up those little things before its finalized

Well the pull out flaps there are attached to 3 hinges, so it shouldnt be too bad i think

floetry

Forum Guru
Oct 21, 2006
tey should have a shutter instead of a flap. Can't explain it, but kinda like a window that pulls up and down, to open the cartridge, just pull it back, to close it, just pull it forward. simple.

but this will probably be the retail version. Once they give it a name, isn't it locked up? as far as production goes? I assume they are in production right now since announced.

Jul 9, 2008
[QUOTE="floetry, post: 5576599]tey should have a shutter instead of a flap. Can't explain it, but kinda like a window that pulls up and down, to open the cartridge, just pull it back, to close it, just pull it forward. simple.

but this will probably be the retail version. Once they give it a name, isn't it locked up? as far as production goes? I assume they are in production right now since announced.[/QUOTE]

you mean like the thing on the new xbox360s?

Thorzilla

Elite Sage
Feb 4, 2006
[QUOTE="mickice, post: 5576666]So this thing has no USB ports and 2 proprietary card slots?[/QUOTE]

No USB it seems...let's hope not! It would be like shooting yourself in the foot!

Jul 9, 2008
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5576964]It'll probably have a proprietary cable for charging/usb functionality.[/QUOTE]

hopefully then i wont have to carry around my laptop and my vita charger. Did you already pre order yours fear?

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
Ok, apparently, I don't have it paid in full. They only applied a $50 credit I had to the system. Hmm, I might change it to Amazon. I've always loved their customer support.

There is a small port on the bottom of the device, so that'll probably be for your proprietary cable for transfers/usb/charging...

Ryunosuke

Elite Member
Jul 3, 2005
Oklahoma
[QUOTE="Seahawkk, post: 5576976]hopefully then i wont have to carry around my laptop and my vita charger. Did you already pre order yours fear?[/QUOTE]

I believe at least one end of the proprietary cable is a regular USB end, making it similar to mini-b to usb cables. The charger is probably one of Sony's usb chargers seen here (just with 1 plug instead of 2): http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10063209-1.html

Here is the picture from E3 showing a USB cable, at least one end looks like it is a regular USB end.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
Yeppers. Looks like a proprietary male end going into the PSV, on the other end, male full sized USB. That will, in turn, plug into the power adapter (aka usb block), then to an ac outlet. I really hope those are m2 cards and not a new form factor card.

floetry

Forum Guru
Oct 21, 2006
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5576984]Paid in full via Gamestop pre-order.[/QUOTE]

gamestop, horrible customer service. If you switch to amazon, you'll be doing yourself a favor.

floetry

Forum Guru
Oct 21, 2006
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5577072]On that note, I've never had any issues with Gamestop, or their customer service.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't wait for it to start Lol.

I find gamestop's employee's although gamers less informed about their products across all platforms, and offer horrible customer service. I guess its reality, You can't really expect a teen girl(never seen teen dudes working there now that I realise it) to go into specifics about a console or exclusives.

My friend being the idiot he is, listened to a gamestop employee that sold him a refurb 160gb I believe, and that it could play free ps2 games as long he dowloaded the ps2 software emulator that was posted to the site. If I recall correctly, that was for 80gb that were partly emulating most of the ps2 games through software. Well, he bought it, took it home, opened the free God of War game, said that the employee didn't sold him the console on false information and they won't accept it, because its a sony refurb.

I find that hilarious and suited for him. He's an idiot and buys thing on impulse without even financing his own money. Spends entire paychecks.

While it may be good for him, its terrible for parents and people who walk in the store not familiar with video games that are buying it for their kids, etc

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
[QUOTE="floetry, post: 5576599]tey should have a shutter instead of a flap. Can't explain it, but kinda like a window that pulls up and down, to open the cartridge, just pull it back, to close it, just pull it forward. simple.

but this will probably be the retail version. Once they give it a name, isn't it locked up? as far as production goes? I assume they are in production right now since announced.[/QUOTE]

The "shutter" you're describing is easier to break, and costs more to produce. The flap with a plastic tag may not look the prettiest when it's open, but it's far more durable. And quite honestly I don't care if it doesn't look beautiful when I'm putting in a game.

[QUOTE="Seahawkk, post: 5576988]i paid in full via amazon :p[/QUOTE]

How? Amazon won't charge you until it ships.

floetry

Forum Guru
Oct 21, 2006
[QUOTE="Tyrien, post: 5577731]The "shutter" you're describing is easier to break, and costs more to produce. The flap with a plastic tag may not look the prettiest when it's open, but it's far more durable. And quite honestly I don't care if it doesn't look beautiful when I'm putting in a game.

How? Amazon won't charge you until it ships.[/QUOTE]
i see this having more of a problem. Look at the video, that guy had a hard time opening it. If my flap breaks, I won't care. Most likely I will buy my games from the psn store, I don't want to carry cartridges around.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/14/sony-playstation-vitas-removable-memory-looks-like-an-sd-card/

Looks like we'll be bitten by the "sony" bug once again. These are new proprietary cards for "external" storage. Once again Sony screws us over. ffs I hate when they do this ****. At least with the PSP, I could use the cards in several different devices I had. Prices weren't sooo bad because of the adoption of the mem sticks. With this, unless Sony breaks from the mold, will be over priced for a while. FU!!!!

Ryunosuke

Elite Member
Jul 3, 2005
Oklahoma
[QUOTE="squirrelbo1, post: 5577895]Oh sony, why o why must you do this to us. why cant you just use whats already available. *le sigh*[/QUOTE]

For one, the physical size. There are only 2 options available at that size MicroSDHC and M2 memory sticks, M2 cards being the faster of the two. As has been pointed out these are highly likely to be modified M2 cards for more security and an additional size(s).

Prices will likely be around the same as current M2 cards or cheaper if M2 cards drop in price over the next 5 or so months.

The reason these are likely to just be modified M2 cards is because Sony is not going to sink the money into a completely new format to only be used for one product. Despite what people say when Sony develops a new format they tend to expand into as many of their products as possible. However with these cards Sony has stated they are only going to be used for the PSVita.

A size comparison to see how much larger SDHC and Memory Stick Duo/Pro Duo cards are to M2 cards. These are to scale.

Last edited:

Ryunosuke

Elite Member
Jul 3, 2005
Oklahoma
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5577936]I'll just wait till some Chinese company makes a microsd adapter lol.[/QUOTE]

Is that possible? Considering M2 and microsdhc cards has basically the same size.

Btw, where is the memory card slot located? I assumed this was it right next to the game card slot.

Upon closer inspection that doesn't appear to be a memory card slot. It looks closer to some type of USB port or something and has what appears to be mounting holes for sometype of addon. It also appears it doesn't have the little indention or whatever you want to call around it to make the card easier to remove, the larger game card has one.