Inside Xbox Season Premiere: Sea of Thieves, PUBG, Far Cry 5, and More. A must watch.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I don't think Sea of Thieves is going to do very well. I played the last few beta's and it is pretty boring. There is nothing to do while on the ship and sometimes you are standing there for 5 mins until you reach the destination. You can stop off at random islands and look for buried treasure where you can then carry it to the ship and then sell it off and the nearest town. I use the term town very loosely as it is usually just a very small island with a couple shops.

The beta failed to actually teach you how to play the game so that could be part of my issue. And the fact that very rarely did we come across another ship with other players. Fighting other people and sinking their ship is pretty fun. Maybe the final release will have better adjustments to make the game not feel so slow.

You can see from the video I recorded that the game is not face paced at all.

H

Hedon

I just watched the video 2 days ago. I was surprised that it was 2 hours long, a bit too long for me going forward there. I will have to watch the recap that they do after.

Sea of Thieves seems to be doing well by gamers in the forums and media from what I have seen. Personal experience, amazing. Last week I was literally playing for 8 hours straight one afternoon/evening. I had no idea it had been that long. We were having so much fun taking down other ships (and being taken), finding treasure, stealing treasure from others. Resourcing for the animals, meeting and looting at the skull. Working as a team is a must in this game, with a mic. We all had our spots, and knew exactly where we had to go. I was running sails and anchor, others were doing steering and keeping their eye out on top of the sail. If map reading, compasses. We even met up with another team of 4 and worked together as 8 people to take over another ship and shared the treasures. There was indeed no shortage of things to do, and the missions are hella fun.

I am getting this as well as Far Cry 5 in the next two weeks, so the gaming is going to be plentiful!

The dashboard updates, such as share direct to twitter, etc. are great and all, but the dashboard already has everything I need. As long as I can launch a game and join friends, I am good to go.

The PUBG stuff was good, but I am still waiting for the game to hit retail status before/if I buy it. The whole Battle Royale thing might be a little overplayed at this point, but I will see how it pans out over the next 6 months or so.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
I just watched the video 2 days ago. I was surprised that it was 2 hours long, a bit too long for me going forward there. I will have to watch the recap that they do after.

Sea of Thieves seems to be doing well by gamers in the forums and media from what I have seen. Personal experience, amazing. Last week I was literally playing for 8 hours straight one afternoon/evening. I had no idea it had been that long. We were having so much fun taking down other ships (and being taken), finding treasure, stealing treasure from others. Resourcing for the animals, meeting and looting at the skull. Working as a team is a must in this game, with a mic. We all had our spots, and knew exactly where we had to go. I was running sails and anchor, others were doing steering and keeping their eye out on top of the sail. If map reading, compasses. We even met up with another team of 4 and worked together as 8 people to take over another ship and shared the treasures. There was indeed no shortage of things to do, and the missions are hella fun.

I am getting this as well as Far Cry 5 in the next two weeks, so the gaming is going to be plentiful!

The dashboard updates, such as share direct to twitter, etc. are great and all, but the dashboard already has everything I need. As long as I can launch a game and join friends, I am good to go.

The PUBG stuff was good, but I am still waiting for the game to hit retail status before/if I buy it. The whole Battle Royale thing might be a little overplayed at this point, but I will see how it pans out over the next 6 months or so.
Didn't think much of Sea of Thieves, but looking at what they have planned out, it looks like it might be a game to watch out for. Hearing that sword and gun play is not all that is worrying.

It however looks like there will be enough content to try and make the game feel not too repetitive.

Jun 4, 2007
I don't think Sea of Thieves is going to do very well. I played the last few beta's and it is pretty boring. There is nothing to do while on the ship and sometimes you are standing there for 5 mins until you reach the destination. You can stop off at random islands and look for buried treasure where you can then carry it to the ship and then sell it off and the nearest town. I use the term town very loosely as it is usually just a very small island with a couple shops.

The beta failed to actually teach you how to play the game so that could be part of my issue. And the fact that very rarely did we come across another ship with other players. Fighting other people and sinking their ship is pretty fun. Maybe the final release will have better adjustments to make the game not feel so slow.

You can see from the video I recorded that the game is not face paced at all.

People seem to either love or hate this game based off the people I've seen playing the beta. Watching videos or streams makes it look boring as hell due to how slow it is. The sword fighting and shooting should have been top notch but it appears that Rare didn't have it high on the list of priorities.

It's a great thing this is in gamepass because it gives MS an out where they can talk about how many people played it instead of how many people actually bought the game. I don't have much faith that it'll sell well. I can see this game having a dedicated fanbase but nothing mindblowing that's going to push consoles.

H

Hedon

Didn't think much of Sea of Thieves, but looking at what they have planned out, it looks like it might be a game to watch out for. Hearing that sword and gun play is not all that is worrying.

It however looks like there will be enough content to try and make the game feel not too repetitive.

Looks like Fortnite, PUBG and Sea of Thieves are the top selling games on Xbox Live right now. Sounds promising for sales. I saw the official game trailer just came out too. Looks pretty cool. Oh, and Kraken!

Jun 4, 2007
Sea of Thieves is getting torn to bits by reviews. The foundation is there but it's boring. Meaningful objectives would have made this game less boring.

Edit: SOT could have benefited greatly from letting players create their own islands and bases. Economy and all. Project Spark proved that there's talented gamers out there on the xbone. Start everyone with basic creative tools and unlock more based on wealth and task you've completed. That would have made it very special. That's how you would become a true pirate legend. Players would see that certain crews are not to be fucked with based on this idea alone. Can you imagine it? Going on raids and trading with other pirates until the shit hits the fan because there's no honor among thieves. Going to islands that Rare laid out across the world to find rare gear that no other crew has. MS made a big fuss out of the cloud tech but has nothing to show for it yet when it comes to game design.

I guess time will tell if Rare can get make this game into something special.

Last edited:
May 20, 2008
69 average. It's not looking so well for another new MS AAA IP lmao. *2 million players

*Sold copies started, Rented copies started, copies started in gamepass, copies started in gamepass trial.

I know you xbox fans hate me and I love it. You better pray that Phil "half the man of Don Mattrick" Spencer finally knocks E3 out the park with some new AAA exclusives. I will unleash hell if he drops the ball yet again.
Lol.. it’s actually the contrary. The game is doing well. And just so you know, it’s close to 3 million now. That’s probably something you won’t find on N4G. But anyway I’m like Mynd. It’s not my thing either. I can’t get it into a game like that but to each his own.

And Two, how could we hate someone who loves Xbox as much as you. You keep us well informed ?

Two4DaMoney

Master Sage
Jun 4, 2007
Great game design going on here. 100's of hours of grinding varied quest. To become something for the world to see. To become the most badass chicken and pig catching motherfucker ever. To become a Pirate Legend. Afterwards you receive even more quest. Quest that only a Pirate Legend's experience would be able to solve. It's hard to believe that a big AAA studio needed only 4 years to flesh this out.