Install sizes

nextgen3

Super Elite
May 15, 2006
Wales, UK
Anyone getting annoyed how big these installs have gone since? The struggle is gamers who own 500gb console like myself is so frustrating, many would say oh just go buy a 2TB harddrive but that isn't always the case. Games are becoming to big for consoles now.

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare & remastered 130gb (without DLC & patches!) WTF!!

Not sure the full list of installs between now & December but it will stack up pretty heavy & I mean heavy.

Mafia III 45GB
Rise of Tomb Raider 20GB or there about.
WWE2K17 42GB

Don't know the rest.

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
Well its a fact of life these days for gaming. On consoles or computers. That is the price you pay for 1080p+ games and high graphical settings. No real way to get around this.

This is going to make 100/128GB blu-ray discs mandatory for the next generation of consoles as 4k becomes more mainstream.

Also it likely means that you won't see solid state storage in the next gen consoles either since it likely won't be anywhere near as cost effective as mechanical HDD's for the storage amounts needed. (I'm thinking 2 terabytes plus as the baseline storage level.)

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
If they used 3.5 inch drives it would be less of a problem, which i hoestly thought they would. Another issue is there is not any room in the chassis to add an extra drive, we can only replace smaller with larger and so have to reinstall or redownload the games making it time consuming which puts people off.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Archival Discs, developed by Sony and Panasonic, can store data anywhere from 300GB to 1TB. By comparison, BDXLs (quadruple-layer discs) can store up to 128GB of data.

I'm always fascinated by how big games have become over the past two decades; what developers do with more storage space and improved console hardware. But I also wonder, if higher resolutions and textures weren't so important, what could be achieved in other areas like gameplay?

Last edited:

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6521876]If they used 3.5 inch drives it would be less of a problem, which i hoestly thought they would. Another issue is there is not any room in the chassis to add an extra drive, we can only replace smaller with larger and so have to reinstall or redownload the games making it time consuming which puts people off.[/QUOTE]

Except people would compaling about the size of the console if they used 3.5 inch HDD's. Same thing with dual 2.5 inch HDD's.

The solution is simple, which is what microsoft allows for: the usage of external storage.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="MATRIX 2, post: 6521890]Except people would compaling about the size of the console if they used 3.5 inch HDD's. Same thing with dual 2.5 inch HDD's.

The solution is simple, which is what microsoft allows for: the usage of external storage.[/QUOTE]

Is it possible to use more than 1 USBdrive on Xbox?
Well the size wouldn't be ahuge increase for 3.5 drive but some people will complain about anything.

Last edited:

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
That gives you options of 2.5 or 3.5inch drives with he latter usually being cheaper, but needing separate power supplies. Seen some 2.5 inch 4TB for around £100

Last edited: