is a second job in these times considered greedy?

Demon2005

Dedicated Member
Jul 2, 2009
Vancouver, Canada
Everyone knows that there is a 'Global Economic Crisis' going on right now and that there are people out of a job, or making less at their current job. this situation is not as bad in Canada but people are still slow about hiring new employees. Now I am a fully licensed auto technician working in a Ford dealer in Canada, I get paid by job, so if I am not working I don't make money. For the last couple years things have dropped off and now it's a given that I won't make my hours when I am at work, the average is about 8-9 hours in a 10 hr day.

I have been thinking about getting a second job, one to help out with the loss of hours, and two to have something to do on my days off, which are a lot. I have been told by my friends that this is both a good idea and a bad idea, cause it will make me look greedy. what do you guys think?

k.cuthbertson

Dedicated Member
Nov 25, 2008
I'd say go for it. I just lost my co-op job and i'm looking for another job, but hey if you can get two man, more power to ya. The only thing that would be greedy is if you just kept the money to horde..you gotta spend it if you wanna help the economy. Think of it this way, if you spend the extra money you make on luxuries you provide the person who makes those luxuries with a paycheck.

BigYoSpeck

Superior Member
Dec 29, 2008
Hell if you need the money and are willing to give up the time who's business is it. I would say the biggest failing is that of your main employer in not paying you what you need and fully exploiting what you have to give causing you to need to seek a second job.

gster

Paddy McCourt
Mar 13, 2009
Bristol
[QUOTE="Demon2005, post: 0]Everyone knows that there is a 'Global Economic Crisis' going on right now and that there are people out of a job, or making less at their current job. this situation is not as bad in Canada but people are still slow about hiring new employees. Now I am a fully licensed auto technician working in a Ford dealer in Canada, I get paid by job, so if I am not working I don't make money. For the last couple years things have dropped off and now it's a given that I won't make my hours when I am at work, the average is about 8-9 hours in a 10 hr day.

I have been thinking about getting a second job, one to help out with the loss of hours, and two to have something to do on my days off, which are a lot. I have been told by my friends that this is both a good idea and a bad idea, cause it will make me look greedy. what do you guys think?[/quote]

go for it. at the end of the day, its even harder to get a job, so if you do get a second one you would have clearly proven you are a worthwhile addition to that team.

Apr 28, 2005
Maryland
Of course not. Some people need the extra money to support themselves and/or their families. I work with a girl that had a nasty breakup with her husband. She's relatively new to America (only about 2.5 years) and she was a victim of domestic violence. She didn't have a car and relied on her husband to take her to and from work everyday. Once she separated, she needed a car to get around. She bought a new car and got a second job to help pay for it (along with rent at her new place).

I'm fortunate enough to have a stable job that pays me well so I don't need a second job. Those that have multiple jobs, more power to you.

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
There are people who consider extra work as greedy? Since when did hard work became greed? Nonsense.

As long as you remember "Work to live, not live to work" everything will be absolutely fine.

deepdown

Apprentice
Nov 12, 2008
[QUOTE="BigYoSpeck, post: 0]Hell if you need the money and are willing to give up the time who's business is it. I would say the biggest failing is that of your main employer in not paying you what you need and fully exploiting what you have to give causing you to need to seek a second job.[/quote]

Go for it.

There is nothing wrong with getting a second job even in a bad economy.
If the work is not coming in at your current job, then there is nothing your employer can do about it. To many people are not willing to get a second job.

This idiot has no idea what it takes to run a business. People are putting off servicing their cars or doing it themselves to save money. There is nothing wrong with it, that just the way it is. When the choice is rent or an oil change, people will pay their rent first. It is up to each person to make ends meet, not the employers.

SYLiam

Superior Member
Jan 10, 2008
Who cares about being greedy? No one's going to give a toss about you, so you should look out for yourself. It'll all sort itself out one day.

BigYoSpeck

Superior Member
Dec 29, 2008
[QUOTE="deepdown, post: 0]This idiot has no idea what it takes to run a business. People are putting off servicing their cars or doing it themselves to save money. There is nothing wrong with it, that just the way it is. When the choice is rent or an oil change, people will pay their rent first. It is up to each person to make ends meet, not the employers.[/quote]

Am I this idiot?

theaface

Dedicated Member
Jan 22, 2009
Absolutely more power to you. I don't know how it is the US or Canada, but over here in the UK, the biggest blights on society are the lazy. We sadly have way way too many people who claim any and every kind of benefit available, and always want something for nothing, and these are the people that deserve scrutiny. I've never objected to someone working hard and earning an honest living, whether they be doing 1 job or a dozen, so if its something you want to do, absolutely go for it.

Demon2005

Dedicated Member
Jul 2, 2009
Vancouver, Canada
wow, I never thought this would garner so much attention. Thanks for all the replies.

I've decided to go for it and apply for a second job, and no this is not my employers fault, people are just neglecting their cars, it will get even worse soon as the Christmas season approaches.

Lethalmind

Fister Roboto
Mar 13, 2008
ISIS HQ
The way I see it, if you have the determination to make as much money that you can by sacrificing more of your free time, you're deserving of a second job.

Have a ball.

Steve

Forum Sage
Nov 19, 2008
Columbia, MO
Greedy? Not the slightest. Like Lethal said, if you're willing to put in the time and effort to have a second job, then you're cut out for one, and, if you want to, you certainly should. So you may be getting it bit more money for recreational purposes by working an extra job, but that's simply the benefit of hard work and devotion.