Is Amazon Echo worth buying?

StevenW

General Manager
Staff member
Nov 5, 2008
Been thinking about getting a new lady in my life for Christmas. I can't bear Amazon as a company, but Alexa does sound handy. Anyone know what the music options are like on there? I'm not really interested in using her for much more than playing tunes. Wondering a) what the sound is like b) can you get her to play any record you want?

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I bought one for $30 on Amazon and I think it is worth the price. It is best when you have other devices connected to it like your lights or thermostat.

StevenW

General Manager
Staff member
Nov 5, 2008
I bought one for $30 on Amazon and I think it is worth the price. It is best when you have other devices connected to it like your lights or thermostat.
Was that the Dot for that price? Yeah, I haven't got the Smart devices, but as long as I can play music through it and chat with Alexa instead of the missus it will be great.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Was that the Dot for that price? Yeah, I haven't got the Smart devices, but as long as I can play music through it and chat with Alexa instead of the missus it will be great.
Yes, the Echo Dot is currently $29.99 on Amazon. I also think you can buy multiple Echo Dots and use them as intercoms.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
I got a google home mini a couple weeks ago and its pretty good. Sound quality of the speaker is better than expected but far from Hi-Fi quality. I think the google mini looks a lot better than the Echo dot.
Over here in Blighty we can use home to make calls or texts yet :(