Is College Worth it?

Cybertox

Forum Guru
Dec 28, 2009
Switzerland
If im not wrong this is the same guy who makes different videos concerning history which contain nice animations and explanations.
I would recommend checking him out.

bash

Veteran
Aug 24, 2009
Ontario Canada
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5895487]Since my wife makes double what I make, while she's working less hours than I would be; yes, college is worth it lol.[/QUOTE]

What does your wife do?

Jan 31, 2007
Northern Ireland
I'd say the experience alone is worth it. It is a foothold into your industry of choice, as well as the contacts and networking you will get while you are there. There is also extra opportunities and support from your university and careers advisers.

It may be argued that you could teach yourself the content of you course, but the real reason for doing it at the end of the day is that nice certificate to put on your CV.

Kwes

Unbound Mercenary
Mar 30, 2009
I'd say yes. My brother had a job working as a web developer, and they flat out told him, "get the degree and your pay goes waaay up".

Silvy

Master Guru
Sep 29, 2010
North Carolina
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5895487]Since my wife makes double what I make, while she's working less hours than I would be; yes, college is worth it lol.[/QUOTE]

So your wife wears the pants in the house? :snicker

Jan 31, 2007
Northern Ireland
Also, in the UK the student loan doesn't have to start being paid off til you earn at least 15K a year and the APR is tiny. So it is basically one of the best loans you'll get in your life.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="bash, post: 5895495]What does your wife do?[/QUOTE]
She's an emergency room nurse in a decently large hospital. She oversees all the staff that is working, along with taking patients, etc., if they are swamped. She makes triple gross salary, and bring double net home. Just for reference, I only make 35K a year.
[QUOTE="Silver_Knight, post: 5895583]So your wife wears the pants in the house? :snicker[/QUOTE]

She does wear pants sometimes. Most of the time, it's skimpy panties. :snicker I had posted a pic a few years ago for everyone. It's been removed by now though.

Silvy

Master Guru
Sep 29, 2010
North Carolina
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5895606]She's an emergency room nurse in a decently large hospital. She oversees all the staff that is working, along with taking patients, etc., if they are swamped. She makes triple gross salary, and bring double net home. Just for reference, I only make 35K a year.

She does wear pants sometimes. Most of the time, it's skimpy panties. :snicker I had posted a pic a few years ago for everyone. It's been removed by now though.[/QUOTE]

Oh what a shame :snicker Also, only 35k? You make that sound like it's nothing. :)

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2012
Orlando FL
Funny i had this conversation last week with my cousin. Is college worth it? Well depends on your field what you really want to do most likely your going have a large debt coming out. Even now a days with an education you wont get a job because they want on the job experience so medical is always a safe bet. If your not a school person or DONT know what you want to do i dont recommend you go to college because your just going to collected debt and never get your degree.

Ive been lucky when my education i banked on criminal justice sounded like a great idea while i was in school once i got into the field no jobs all i could get was a public defender gig making only 47k working basically 7 days a week. Thank god i double major in business and i was able to obtain great paying job with less work and more than double the pay. I attribute it to PURE luck and my ability to interview well. I lucked out but i have alot of friends in shitty situations with LOADS of DEBT from school and cant find a good enough paying job and people w/o degree arent making the same or more because they have "experience" in the field and a 8 or 9 training or certificate.

I love how people told me you NEED to go to college to make good money and its the only option to making a good living which is not true I have co workers that make more than me with less education and with my side family business alone I make an extra 20 to 35k a year extra not taxed.

The college experience was something partying, classes, cramming, meeting new people ect...however if your not going to be focused and dont know what you want to do its an expensive pointless thing for you to do. You need to know what you want to do and LOVE it cause if not your wasting your time and money.

May 5, 2011
USA
I think it's worth it, without a doubt.

Like another member said, you not only get a higher education to work better jobs, but you meet references and get all kinds of support.

Even if you do get into debt, depending on your field, you'll get out of it real soon.

If you become a Dentist and go into $150,000 worth of debt, guess what? You'll be most likely making 6 figures as a dentist. If you pay a little extra on your student loans, you'll be debt free in 5-10 years.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
Aprenticeships are better value you actually get paid to go to college either 1 day per week or block release 3 or 4 weeks at a time.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2007
Northern Ireland
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 5895653]Aprenticeships are better value you actually get paid to go to college either 1 day per week or block release 3 or 4 weeks at a time.[/QUOTE]

There are barely any apprenticeships going these days though.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
Its why UK doesnt have much manufacturing among other things TIs been said since I was an apprentice we need more apprenticeships but the gvt and powers that be didnt listen.
But the rarity isnt whats discussing its worthyness.
Both are worth doing just one pays you the other you pay for it.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2012
Orlando FL
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 5895723]Its why UK doesnt have much manufacturing among other things TIs been said since I was an apprentice we need more apprenticeships but the gvt and powers that be didnt listen.
But the rarity isnt whats discussing its worthyness.
Both are worth doing just one pays you the other you pay for it.[/QUOTE]

Im not sure how things work in the UK...

Here in the US they offer internships which 80% are non paying....College is great when you have a plan and the will to see it thru. Speaking from experience its not easy and knowing what you want to do @ 18 years old? almost impossible

RaY_210

Forum Elder
Jan 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
[QUOTE="DeviousOne, post: 5895740]Im not sure how things work in the UK...

Here in the US they offer internships which 80% are non paying....College is great when you have a plan and the will to see it thru. Speaking from experience its not easy and knowing what you want to do @ 18 years old? almost impossible[/QUOTE]

That's exactly where I was/am now. Lol I went right out of high school with a clue of what I wanted to do. But I just wasn't into it. Luckily back then, I was a broke ass mexican lol, so I got financial aid, so I went to college for a year for free. But I ended up dropping most of my classes and only passed a few. Fast forward 8 years later, and I got thru one program at a technical school that got me the job I have now. And I'm going back to hopefully be an engineer, where I brought up my GPA from like a 2.1 to like a 3.4

Kwes

Unbound Mercenary
Mar 30, 2009
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5895606]She's an emergency room nurse in a decently large hospital. She oversees all the staff that is working, along with taking patients, etc., if they are swamped. She makes triple gross salary, and bring double net home. Just for reference, I only make 35K a year.
[/QUOTE]

I make less then you. But I get to carry a rifle all day. But my wife brings home the most dough too though.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
College, a necessity?

A coworkers son graduated high school in june... he did some welding in the vocational classes. He was extremely loving the class and when he had straight A's, a company was looking for some welders with a "skill set" in several areas. He's only a couple months there, passed all their exams, etc. and is making in the 40k's. He just turned 18 a few weeks ago.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="DeviousOne, post: 5895740]Im not sure how things work in the UK...

Here in the US they offer internships which 80% are non paying....College is great when you have a plan and the will to see it thru. Speaking from experience its not easy and knowing what you want to do @ 18 years old? almost impossible[/QUOTE]

It hink in the UK college is seen as a way to bum around and not do anything for a year or 2 since more often than not it is totally free.

I had no clue what I wanted to do when I left school either which is why I went to college bummed around there for a bit and realised I wanted money more than an education so quit and applied for appreticeships in electrical engineering, I chose this field becase whilst at school I did as a work expereience worked at a college and attended one of the electrical courses and learned how to wire simple lighting circuits and it was the most interestign part of that whole experience, the rest was spent in offices doing typing or filing files.

Basically Apprenticeships - you are employed but at a low rate of pay which can often be below the minimum wage currently its around £2.60 which is $4.10 per hour. The hourly rate increases every year providing you pass the courses and exams you are set when attending college.

[QUOTE="RaY_210, post: 5895760]That's exactly where I was/am now. Lol I went right out of high school with a clue of what I wanted to do. But I just wasn't into it. Luckily back then, I was a broke ass mexican lol, so I got financial aid, so I went to college for a year for free. But I ended up dropping most of my classes and only passed a few. Fast forward 8 years later, and I got thru one program at a technical school that got me the job I have now. And I'm going back to hopefully be an engineer, where I brought up my GPA from like a 2.1 to like a 3.4[/QUOTE]

Heard alot of the GPA in films and TV but never understood it, how is it calculated?

-----------------

Coworkers written down makes me snigger I immediately think "cow workers"

Last edited:
If you get on with the right company, it isn't necessary. I worked as a courier for Fedex while I was deciding on a college major/career and it paid decent money. There were also other opportunities that required some training, but were available without a college degree.

I ended up getting a degree, but if I stayed with Fedex, I probably would have been okay without one. My main fear was something could happen and they would downsize (it happens enough to worry about it) and I would have been left without a tranferable skill set.

-Dj-

Veteran
May 8, 2009
you got be smart what you go for. the 1st thing you must think about is there a jobs for it
the 2nd thing is how the fuck you going pay your college bill

you got really plan this shit out or you just going get fuck in ass

Jul 10, 2012
Orlando FL
My goal when deciding to go to college was to get a degree that was flexible which is why I chose to go with a major in business then while I was in school decided to get into criminal justice cause I had friends in the field then did 2 years after in UF's law program.

I just wanted to be able to get a job that's gonna pay me enough to do the things I wanted to do...House, cars, and money in the bank so I can invest which lucky I've been able to do so at a young age. Like previously said college isn't for everyone u can make just as much money in the right field with just training u can make a good living.

Also having good money management is vital which is an whole another discussion lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Super_Lilith

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2006
Depends on many things:1. Do you enjoy your subject and the college enough to pay the amount to study?

2. Or financially, do you require your course to get into the career you want? i.e. realistically you are not going to be an engineer or lawyer or doctor or accountant without the required training. (some idiot posts "but i know some one that didn't blah blah and still managed to..." - shut up we talking about in general.

I.e. in these times I cringe a bit when I hear people going to study art history and sociology expecting a job at the end.

So if you going for financial reasons and there is no obvious career path then no it is not worth it.

DeviousOne, you probably weighed up the options and found that the skills you learn in business degree will help you set up a successful business once you graduate isn't it?

Last edited:

Silvy

Master Guru
Sep 29, 2010
North Carolina
I still say people should go for the passionate about instead of the logical way but most people go for the most common job getter. If i we're to go it would be about video games. I don't care if i end up on the street and begging for a change at least i went for something i wanted to.