Is it just me or is Singularity a horrible game?

ps3isthebestobe

Superior Member
Jan 23, 2008
So all i have been hearing about is this game of late. When i first saw it the only impression i got was half life 2 rip off. However i thought at the time it was just my prejudice and that i was sure the game would put to use the game play elements they showed off in the trailer.

Well yesterday i played the game and i just can't see why anyone would want to buy this game. Ill first start with the look of the game. I was playing it on my friends top range PC with what i can only assume was the best graphical settings considering he is always telling me about his beast of a PC. Anyway the whole time i couldn't stop thinking about how awful the game looked. Bland, blurry textures and uninspired level design i honestly couldn't think of a FPS on ps3 that looked worse bar haze. We have definitely reached a point in gaming where power is becoming less relevant, as clever game design can outshine a game running on a machine twice as powerful.

Does it look the same on ps3, sort of washed out? Also whats with the alien growths they incorporated as well, could they get any more unoriginal. Every single element just seemed like it had been ripped straight from another game, just in a more average fashion.

Lastly im going to take a swipe at the gameplay. One of the features of the game is the ability to age and object or de-age it if you were. This was talked up a lot in the previews and im sure a lot of people were like OMG AWSOME. When i first saw this i immediately felt HL2 ripoff, and 'what a joke'. Surely i couldnt be right, could i? Well it turns out i was. So parts of the game require you to use your device to repair stair cases that are destroyed by de-aging them or bringing them back through time. Is this what we call gameplay these days? Seriously just think for a second how pathetic that is. Hold down this button for 3 seconds and the stair case magically re-appears. Now wasn't that some of the most innovative 3D platforming you have ever experienced?

That is not what i call gaming, thats what i call implementing pointless stuff to make it feel as if your gimmick is good for something. I dunno maybe this is some peoples bread and butter, just like WW2 FPS's are mine, but i am honestly done with games that don't impress me from the first trailer. I gave this game a chance but no my initial impressions were extremely accurate. Uninspired game with gimmicks thrown in, it doesn't make killing monsters any more fun than it was killing them in doom.

/rant

Mar 20, 2010
Game is great. You're far to critical. I have it on pc. You MUST use a texture fixed executble. Problem with the unreal engine. Google it. Game looks great. Most fun i've had since hl2. Plus it has nolan north in it. You want something unoriginal play a WW2 fps........oh hold on.

Last edited:

Lebowski

Master Sage
Nov 29, 2007
Bowling
it's not THAT bad..I'm only dissapointed that I have a meter on my TMD powers..I wanna use them as much as possible...bring on way more enemies, but let me use the time device infinitely..in fact, **** the weapons, TMD ftw!

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
It's just you. I haven't played this game yet, but I have read and watched reviews and while what you say about uninspired gameplay ties in with what has been said about this game (taking elements from other games and blending them, but this doesn't have to be a bad thing at all) I think it is still a nice looking game. The same was said about Darksiders, that it took elements from Zelda and GoW and I tend to agree but that doesn't mean it sucks. Infact I love Darksiders.

I dunno, half your rant was about graphics, which seems to have been addressed by Spaceman, the other half was about one feature of the game. Was it stupid how at the press of a button in Soul Reaver (Legasy of Kain series), that reality changed and warped, often opening up new paths? No. As Spaceman said you are far too critical. If using a time device to age and de-age items isnt gameplay, then is running around in countless war FPS pushing a button to fire a gun?

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2005
[QUOTE="ghost_rhayne, post: 5083415]It's just you. I haven't played this game yet, but I have read and watched reviews and while what you say about uninspired gameplay ties in with what has been said about this game (taking elements from other games and blending them, but this doesn't have to be a bad thing at all) I think it is still a nice looking game. The same was said about Darksiders, that it took elements from Zelda and GoW and I tend to agree but that doesn't mean it sucks. Infact I love Darksiders.

I dunno, half your rant was about graphics, which seems to have been addressed by Spaceman, the other half was about one feature of the game. Was it stupid how at the press of a button in Soul Reaver (Legasy of Kain series), that reality changed and warped, often opening up new paths? No. As Spaceman said you are far too critical. If using a time device to age and de-age items isnt gameplay, then is running around in countless war FPS pushing a button to fire a gun?[/QUOTE]
Not strictly talking about the OP here but there is such a thing as people not liking good games for no other reason than it doesn't hook them in.

Darksiders is a perfect example. I love those sorts of games - Zelda and Okami being among my favourites. There is nothing about Darksiders that sucks but I just don't feel it. 2 demon hearts into the game I stopped playing and didn't feel like coming back. I've tried three times to date to get back into it with no success. I want to like this game but it's not happening. That's just the way it goes sometimes.

The problem begins when people feel that because they didn't like a game they need to justify that it must suck, and there IS a fundamental difference between a bad game that's bad and a good game you just don't like. Most people are just too opinionated to realize the difference.

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
Ja I agree with you Mask, this is why I said to the OP that it was just him. I have seen people who thought MGS4 sucks, who dont like MNR or RDR. It comes down to the old saying "different strokes for different blokes". :)

TheBreezyBB

Master Poster
Mar 22, 2007
Qatar
[QUOTE="mickice, post: 5083404]This is why I stick to PS3 exclusives, most third party games feel like the one before it and leave me unimpressed.[/QUOTE]

This.

Dec 19, 2006
I watched a few videos after PSU gave it a good review and people who'd bought the game were saying that it's decent. The shooting just looks absolutely terrible to me and it's ugly.

ps3isthebestobe

Superior Member
Jan 23, 2008
Sorry im going to be taking another shot at singularity here, but wow this game is ugly, I do not find balls of lighting fun i find it quite random and gimmickish. I do not find controllable bullets to be innovative but rather timewasting. Also the platforming elements of this game are just quite ugly, unoriginal. Same game different name.

Cyn

Veteran
Feb 19, 2008
Each to their own and all that. I haven't played it and don't plan on buying it since it looks dull to me. Some of my friends have it, one said 10/10 they love it, the other 2 hate it. Marmite game?

33x

Super Carlton
Staff member
Dec 26, 2007
SW London
Hell no, its a great game, an excellent FPS. defo a sleeper hit.

Think bioshock, half life and time shift.

Cool weapons, gore, decent storyline = good game!

darksora

Master Poster
Apr 23, 2007
I dont remember being able to age or de-age objects in hl2? :s

But from what I've seen of it in videos it didnt really stand out to me much but I also havent been paying attention to it either so my knowledge on this game is zero :(

!SG!

Apprentice
Mar 8, 2009
I actually hate sci-fi shooters(or any sci-fi genre in general), but Singularity is surprisingly good game.
The first hour or so is slow paced but it picks it up from there and become much better experience.

Last edited: