Is the "Negative Press" good for Sony?

Legend Killer

Master Poster
Dec 24, 2005
Well we've all heard them, I've been here since the beginning, I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly to the point of making me take a break from gaming forums for a year. but we also cannot ignore the fact that Sony did most of the damage to themselves. from the beginning with the $600 price tag and their sometime arrogant and cocky comments during the launch of the PS3. They also had very poor marketing and their P.R just made matters worse.

but with the recent changes in my eyes it seems Sony has finally found their way every since E309. I'm seeing the Sony I loved from the PS1/PS2 era again. and with the Price cut and the release of the Ps3 Slim, It seems the Negative press got Sony to listen to their demands, ironically in return we benefit from it. a cheaper Ps3, greater games and a online service that keeps getting better so in the end their noise made Sony a stronger company. :lol:

So I have only one thing to say to the gaming press. :grin:

KEEP IT COMING!!

what's your input?

Jan 1, 2009
Honestly, depends on the way you look at it.

Maybe it isn't only the media. The people also had a large part in Sony's recent changes. All of the complaints/criticism made by Ps3 owners and non owners has helped fuel this change.

(Or they want 360 fanboys to shut the hell up. ;) lol)

muyy

Apprentice
Oct 19, 2007
the bad press probably hurt, mostly because it is what most people read/are going to believe. Im not saying some of it wasnt true, especially that 600 dollar price tag. Sony saw what people were saying though, and made some changes in the right direction. It is just a shame that news sites and other media have to, not mud sling, but jive talk about the ps3 for Sony to listen, when Sony should be listening to the general public in the first place.

Legend Killer

Master Poster
Dec 24, 2005
[QUOTE="higgos22, post: 0]well if ps3 starts to sell really well they can make the press eat their words[/quote]

They'll just find something else to complain about which in return will make it get even better. :lol:

Unless they turn their attention to Microsoft or Nintendo. :(

Ryunosuke

Elite Member
Jul 3, 2005
Oklahoma
It depends on what the bad press is. Something controversial like the PSP Black/White ads gaining press, regardless if it's negative or not, will boost sales. The media claiming that the PS3 has a lack of games, that it overheats or claims on any other software/hardware faults will not help boost sales, it would actually hurt sales.

I don't believe the media had any influence on the price drop or slim model PS3 either; I believe it was solely the consumer, sales and the rate the technology improved(mainly cell). I don't think Sony is doing anything to please the press; they know that there is nothing they can do that will please them and that they will always find fault in something.

Sony is likely more aware on what's being said on gaming forums/sites about the PS3/PSP than the media is. It is just not always that easy to make changes and there are times where the only thing they can do is wait it out. When Sony started working on the PS3 they likely weren't expecting the economy the end up like it has and there is a point where they cannot just scrap what work they have done on the PS3 for something cheaper.

DarkNemesis

Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2008
Parkville, Maryland
I never have and never will listen to the press.i think for myself and that is why i bought a PS3 two years ago.I was always confident in Sony and the PS3.I never once doubted them and I can say at this moment that i am very satisfied with my purchase.As for sales,that didn't make the PSX or the PS2 great.It was and still is the quality and originality that the Playstation brand has delivered over the last decade with great software that makes them successful to me.

If anything,Sony is the reason why MS had to step their game up and why Nintendo had to find an alternative fanbase because of the PS2.

Fiasco

Superior Member
Jan 29, 2008
in the end i think this will be the only console to continue to have a huge lifespan... early negativity, and now it has pretty much been reversed.

I

InfiniteRetro

[QUOTE="DarkNemesis, post: 0]I never have and never will listen to the press.i think for myself and that is why i bought a PS3 two years ago.I was always confident in Sony and the PS3.I never once doubted them and I can say at this moment that i am very satisfied with my purchase.As for sales,that didn't make the PSX or the PS2 great.It was and still is the quality and originality that the Playstation brand has delivered over the last decade with great software that makes them successful to me.

If anything,Sony is the reason why MS had to step their game up and why Nintendo had to find an alternative fanbase because of the PS2.[/quote]

fantastic. reppy coming your way.

Jan 11, 2008
www.Thetf.net
This generation will serve as a valuable lesson to Sony. After taking a step back and looking at how far PSN has come since the announcement of the system (after all they've tried to take on a major Software company in that space) and the surprise dominance by Nintendo, I think they'll get their act together for the PS4/PSP2.

We are already getting rumblings of the subdivisions at Sony working together to create good hardware-software relationships, and if Springer manages to get Sony Pictures, Sony Music and the Playstation/Viao/Walkman divisions to all sing together from the same songsheet, thats a pretty killer combo. Microsoft at present are much better at interdepartmental collaboration, and Nintendo are better are keeping secrets. Tackle those two problems, and Sony will be alright.

Looking at the PR team now, I feel its much better than what they had at the Launch of the PS3. Yoshida, House, Tretton etc all seem make less mistakes. The one to watch however, is still Kaz.

PsychoMantis

Mr. Ten-A-Key!
Nov 20, 2005
If you are the CEO of Sony or a top dog in the company then you may worry but everybody on here is a consumer. I don't understand why threads like this continue to pop up, it just shows the fanboyism in people and stirs up a **** storm. Please, for the love of god...let Sony worry about the PS3/sales and other things having to do with the company, just continue gaming. This thread is similar to the threads about NPD report and talk about it like they can help or do something for Sony by talking about it, its pointless let them deal with it. Ever since the PS1 came out and up until the PS3 Sony has had great quality in games and hardware that's a fact, I have been very satisfied since I first bought a PS1 with Sony products. I also own a 360, despite things like overheating issues and things like that I haven't experienced that problem and I enjoy my 360 as well. The fact of the matter is Sony does put out quality consoles and in-turn great games over the years its just when you put a price tag over $600 it turns people away but I know that the PS3 Slim will change that and Sony will be doing great once again.

/thread

E

ERC1980

[QUOTE="DarkNemesis, post: 0]I never have and never will listen to the press.i think for myself and that is why i bought a PS3 two years ago.I was always confident in Sony and the PS3.I never once doubted them and I can say at this moment that i am very satisfied with my purchase.As for sales,that didn't make the PSX or the PS2 great.It was and still is the quality and originality that the Playstation brand has delivered over the last decade with great software that makes them successful to me.

If anything,Sony is the reason why MS had to step their game up and why Nintendo had to find an alternative fanbase because of the PS2.[/quote]

i feel the exact same way.

i could have been a sheep during the rough times and jumped ship to the other side, but i knew sony was gonna give me my monies worth if i stayed true and showed my brand loyalty.

Legend Killer

Master Poster
Dec 24, 2005
If this was Hollywood Sony would be the biggest movie star on the planet with all that negative press going around.

Just look at how that helped Britney, Paris and Lindsay Lohan. :lol:

like DarkVincent07 said, Any publicity is good publicity.

Jul 19, 2006
[QUOTE="Legend Killer, post: 0]They'll just find something else to complain about which in return will make it get even better. :lol:

Unless they turn their attention to Microsoft or Nintendo. :([/quote]

I agree. With the 360 having an over 50% failure rate shouldn't they be talking about that? None of them have yet to really touch on that but they will dig as deep as they can to get something on the ps3. LAME.

I

InfiniteRetro

[QUOTE="empirex, post: 0]I agree. With the 360 having an over 50% failure rate shouldn't they be talking about that? None of them have yet to really touch on that but they will dig as deep as they can to get something on the ps3. LAME.[/quote]

i think if the competitor consoles ate household pets and sodomised the living they'd still get praise but if sony called down jesus from heaven himself even the pope would banish it.

Mar 11, 2006
[QUOTE="Legend Killer, post: 0] but we also cannot ignore the fact that Sony did most of the damage to themselves. from the beginning with the $600 price tag and their sometime arrogant and cocky comments during the launch of the PS3. They also had very poor marketing and their P.R just made matters worse.
[/quote]

You making these statements as if they were fact only proves how effective the negative attack tactics have been.

Sony said early on that the PS3 would be expensive. If you really remember, Sony in 2005 was looking at a 2007 launch for the PS3. It was Microsoft rushing the 360 out in 2005 that forced Sony to rush the PS3 to launch in 2006, with the Blu-ray head still in early stages of development and manufacturing cost, the HDMI standard not being set, and Cell yields staying low (increasing cost, but turning out not as low as Xenon and Xenos at the time). Kutaragi making the statement people would work longer to get a PS3 was probably because he didn't think Sony would launch at a $600 price point, meaning selling several hundred dollars lower than the actual cost.

You say "arrogant and cocky". How about if the word was "confidence"? Arrogant and cocky have negative connotations and that was slapped on them by the negative press, and it should be obvious to all that the word "press" is being used very loosely here. "Press" in this context means blogs, forums, amateur game websites, newsgroups, and podcasts. They attacked and attacked and attacked, jumping and seizing on every slightest rumor or the slightest point of ridicule they could find, twisting and spinning and distorting it into the worst form of propaganda and FUD.

How about these statements from Sony that are being ignored in this post event analysis?

"We are in this for the long term, it is not a horse race"
"We have a business to run"
"The PS3 is just getting warmed up" (in the fourth year)
"I want to try to see if we can exceed the PS2 numbers after nine years, otherwise why are we in this business?" - Kaz Harai 7/15/2008

And let's not forget, these forums were swarming with 360 trollers two years ago, absolutely convinced not only the PS3, but Sony, was on the verge of doom and death. And why exactly are we supposed to be understanding of these people?

I

InfiniteRetro

[QUOTE="Bligmerk, post: 0]You making these statements as if they were fact only proves how effective the negative attack tactics have been.

Sony said early on that the PS3 would be expensive. If you really remember, Sony in 2005 was looking at a 2007 launch for the PS3. It was Microsoft rushing the 360 out in 2005 that forced Sony to rush the PS3 to launch in 2006, with the Blu-ray head still in early stages of development and manufacturing cost, the HDMI standard not being set, and Cell yields staying low (increasing cost, but turning out not as low as Xenon and Xenos at the time). Kutaragi making the statement people would work longer to get a PS3 was probably because he didn't think Sony would launch at a $600 price point, meaning selling several hundred dollars lower than the actual cost.

You say "arrogant and cocky". How about if the word was "confidence"? Arrogant and cocky have negative connotations and that was slapped on them by the negative press, and it should be obvious to all that the word "press" is being used very loosely here. "Press" in this context means blogs, forums, amateur game websites, newsgroups, and podcasts. They attacked and attacked and attacked, jumping and seizing on every slightest rumor or the slightest point of ridicule they could find, twisting and spinning and distorting it into the worst form of propaganda and FUD.

How about these statements from Sony that are being ignored in this post event analysis?

"I want to try to see if we can exceed the PS2 numbers after nine years, otherwise why are we in this business?" - Kaz Harai 7/15/2008

And let's not forget, these forums were swarming with 360 trollers two years ago, absolutely convinced not only the PS3, but Sony, was on the verge of doom and death. And why exactly are we supposed to be understanding of these people?[/quote]

A-F'ing-Men. rep coming your way and if i could a fund raiser;)

if you look at the ps1/ps2 they work on a marathon-type business model. does anyone wonder why ms products are NEVER fantastic straight away? because they rush, or dont try as hard or dont bother. windows has been the example all these years and apple sits on the sidelines making stellar OS far more stable than any windows. WHY the hell would xbox people come to a sony forum. honestly i dont do it to their forums so why do they even bother?

Aug 26, 2005
Back in 2005 there was so much fear, uncertainty and doubt laid down by reputable video game news sites in regards to Sony and the PS3.
It's hard to believe that negative press didn't cost Sony some console sales back in '06 and '07.

Granted, the fact that the PS3 was $600 when it released was a huge turn off to consumers, which probably contributes most to why PS3 sales were slow since the start.

Yet if you scoured the Internet back a couple years ago it was vividly clear that a lot of people and websites jumped on the "Hate on Sony" bandwagon.
And you didn't need much to convince a person that what the site's reporting is true and not just some rumor a fanboy created.

Agriel

Forum Sage
Mar 7, 2007
[QUOTE="Perfect Sin, post: 0]Back in 2005 there was so much fear, uncertainty and doubt laid down by reputable video game news sites in regards to Sony and the PS3.
It's hard to believe that negative press didn't cost Sony some console sales back in '06 and '07.

Granted, the fact that the PS3 was $600 when it released was a huge turn off to consumers, which probably contributes most to why PS3 sales were slow since the start.

Yet if you scoured the Internet back a couple years ago it was vividly clear that a lot of people and websites jumped on the "Hate on Sony" bandwagon.
And you didn't need much to convince a person that what the site's reporting is true and not just some rumor a fanboy created.[/quote]
it was insane the amount of FUD that was out that also, stuff that was rumor that people still today think is fact

I

InfiniteRetro

[QUOTE="Perfect Sin, post: 0]Back in 2005 there was so much fear, uncertainty and doubt laid down by reputable video game news sites in regards to Sony and the PS3.

And you didn't need much to convince a person that what the site's reporting is true and not just some rumor a fanboy created.[/quote]

my xbox loving pal had a right go at me for getting defensive. he's like 'oh who cares' so i replied with this:

"dude (yes i said that), it may not bother you because you're on the side of the fence not coming under constant attack. i mean, even on ps3 forums you cannot escape idiots trolling to disrupt it all, trying to make you feel like poo for choosing sony. my arguments are legitimate and those arguments are why i didnt choose an xbox. but im tired of everything you read is a doom and gloom, that people get into trouble for liking sony." i also added in "ive been through the ranks of consoles since the master system, you havent (360 is his first) and ive been there for the ps1/ps2 and now the ps3. so ive seen how its all changed and how over night it went from loving sony to hating them cos it was popular."

so yeah, while at the end of the day none of it matters, and this is the thing that ****s me off more than anything. a majority of multi-console owners claim to be the best opinion offerers and yet when you start bagging on the xbox, they get upset, if you bag sony, they go 'well, thats true'.

im a fanboy, so what. im a fan of sony, im a fan of various music types, and movies. does that make me have less of an opinion? no.

Legend Killer

Master Poster
Dec 24, 2005
[QUOTE="Bligmerk, post: 0]You making these statements as if they were fact only proves how effective the negative attack tactics have been.

And let's not forget, these forums were swarming with 360 trollers two years ago, absolutely convinced not only the PS3, but Sony, was on the verge of doom and death. And why exactly are we supposed to be understanding of these people?[/quote]

Most of what you say is true but you can't say some of the things Sony said wasn't arrogant, for example the "Xbox 1.5" and "Next gen don't start until we say so"
comments. looking back even I can admit some of that was a little over the top. I agreed with them at the time but looking at them now those were very poor choice of words for a company. it just got their competitors even more aggressive to go out there and mock them as much as possible.

I'm not saying Microsoft and Nintendo didn't have their fair share of slanderous comments but that's another story.

I

InfiniteRetro

[QUOTE="Legend Killer, post: 0]Most of what you say is true but you can't say some of the things Sony said wasn't arrogant, for example the "Xbox 1.5" and "Next gen don't start until we say so"
comments. looking back even I can admit some of that was a little over the top. I agreed with them at the time but looking at them now those were very poor choice of words for a company. it just got their competitors even more aggressive to go out there and mock them as much as possible.

I'm saying Microsoft and Nintendo didn't have their fair share of slanderous comments but that's another story.[/quote]

no one is perfect and i agree. what baffles me, is that sony actually havent 'failed' the consumer. yes, the price is high, but no one is forcing anyone to buy it. for people that bought xboxes and have had and still have them dying on them, no one says a thing. i mean, as far as im concerned, ms need a bloody good kick up the *** and learn how to treat the consumer with respect and make something that wont break down so easily. ps3 is very well made as is the nintendo wii. and while nintendo has had good success people just stick blinders on, ignore anything ms does and go after sony. for what? having a high price. oh NOOOOOOOOOO.

Steve

Forum Sage
Nov 19, 2008
Columbia, MO
Yes. I think the negative press is great for Sony. Sure, when someone walks up to you and criticizes you, it's annoying. But that's what some people need to get them going, and what they need to get them thinking about things some people may not be particularly happy with. Criticism is good in cases like these, I think. However the best kind of criticism is constructive. To critique something is good, but to do so and to give some ideas for improvement is even better.

The Negative Press may be a pain from time to time, especially if you're a big Sony fan. However, in the long run I think the negative press has a positive impact.

ryukenchi

Superior Member
Nov 19, 2007
u know evryone keeps mentioning the price but i mean they launced a blueray/ gaming system at a time that blueray just came into the business(i think. ill look it up later) so u cant really blame them for putting that price tag. ppl just had to **** at that time and wait for blueray to become old news :p . xbox360 and wii had nothing special(xcept for its wiimotion)
sony did something revolutionary (always have) and they always get crap from the media and than after a few years the same say that sony is awsome and its a treat to make games for it and blablabla.

i got my ps3 for 275 euros the 60 gig version. brandnew at the time that it was 600:p i know a guy :p
honestly in general ppl just need to **** and be patient.

anyway maybe im just being fanboyish and ill proly get a warning but meh
FREEDOM OF SPEECH lol

Mar 11, 2006
Of course, the negative attack campaigns have hurt Sony, just not fatally, as much as that was the goal of the attack campaign.

But it did hurt one person at Sony. That person is Ken Kutaragi. It was almost like this concerted effort to focus all guns and atomic bombs on Kutaragi, like he was the capitol of Sony Inc. The reason was to perform the equivalent of an assassination of a head of state. Kill Kutaragi and they thought that would kill Sony.

Remember, everything attributed to what Kutaragi said was actually a translation, often bad and mangled, of what he actually said. The practice of taking phrases out of context and building whole articles around cherry-picked sentences would be a big fail for anybody taking Journalism 101. And yet, we had almost 5 years of "game journalism" doing exactly that.

In 2005, the "press" took his statement "the Playstation is not a games machine" and howled with snarky ridicule, attaching the Krazy Ken insult to his name. They neglected to include the rest of the (lengthy) interview and this is what Kutaragi said later in that same interview:
"On the other hand, the PS3 has been created [specifically] as a computer for entertainment. Entertainment refers to a lot of things, and not just to games. The PS3 will be able to provide powerful functions for all of the [imaginable] forms of entertainment".

Notice how that statement makes perfect sense and fits exactly into the future plans for the PS3 to not only be a games console but an entertainment center. However, it didn't fit into this snarky, ignorantly insulting form of "game journalism" that has spawned over the past few years, so it was conveniently ignored.

In 2006, the "press" took his statement "no matter how much [capacity] we put in it, it won't be enough." as another point of ridicule, to mean the PS3 would not come with a hard drive. Now look. People routinely put 500GB hard drives in the PS3 and many are looking forward to putting in a 1TB hard drive. Now, how stupid does that "press" look?

The "press" hounded Kutaragi over his statement “With the PS3, our intentions have been to create a machine with supercomputer calculation capabilities for home entertainment...You can experience the 4D world.” 4D is the fourth dimension. The three dimensions (3D) are length, width, depth. 4D adds time. So, game graphics have actually been 4D for a long time, 3D in motion. Why that phrase was seized on as another point of ridicule is beyond understanding. But now, look at a game like Heavy Rain plus the new controller wands in addition to 3D Blu-ray and some people are finally starting to understand what Ken Kutaragi was talking about,-- 4 years ago--, about a living world inside a game machine

Ken Kutaragi is a visionary engineer and people should be deeply ashamed for slapping the Krazy Ken label on him. He is the reason Sony is even in the videogame console market, being the primer mover for Sony to enter the market with the Playstation 1. He really did want the PS3 to launch with two HDMI outputs, two Ethernet ports, 6 USB. The problem is that would have cost $1000 then. The truth is that, while being a visionary engineer, he would have been a disaster as CEO of Sony, which is a corporation that has to earn profits to stay in business. The real shame is that so many of these "press" people ganged up on him to bring him down and so many suckers were duped into following that "press".

I

InfiniteRetro

@bligmerk: did i rep you already? cos you need another dose of reppage. yes, its pathetic how much they went after him. and as such, the pitchforks of the idiot village people decided that once they got him they'd go after anyone else. btw, i dont know the story but how come he left?:(

Legend Killer

Master Poster
Dec 24, 2005
[QUOTE="Bligmerk, post: 0]Of course, the negative attack campaigns have hurt Sony, just not fatally, as much as that was the goal of the attack campaign.

But it did hurt one person at Sony. That person is Ken Kutaragi. It was almost like this concerted effort to focus all guns and atomic bombs on Kutaragi, like he was the capitol of Sony Inc. The reason was to perform the equivalent of an assassination of a head of state. Kill Kutaragi and they thought that would kill Sony.

Remember, everything attributed to what Kutaragi said was actually a translation, often bad and mangled, of what he actually said. The practice of taking phrases out of context and building whole articles around cherry-picked sentences would be a big fail for anybody taking Journalism 101. And yet, we had almost 5 years of "game journalism" doing exactly that.

In 2005, the "press" took his statement "the Playstation is not a games machine" and howled with snarky ridicule, attaching the Krazy Ken insult to his name. They neglected to include the rest of the (lengthy) interview and this is what Kutaragi said later in that same interview:
"On the other hand, the PS3 has been created [specifically] as a computer for entertainment. Entertainment refers to a lot of things, and not just to games. The PS3 will be able to provide powerful functions for all of the [imaginable] forms of entertainment".

Notice how that statement makes perfect sense and fits exactly into the future plans for the PS3 to not only be a games console but an entertainment center. However, it didn't fit into this snarky, ignorantly insulting form of "game journalism" that has spawned over the past few years, so it was conveniently ignored.

In 2006, the "press" took his statement "no matter how much [capacity] we put in it, it won't be enough." as another point of ridicule, to mean the PS3 would not come with a hard drive. Now look. People routinely put 500GB hard drives in the PS3 and many are looking forward to putting in a 1TB hard drive. Now, how stupid does that "press" look?

The "press" hounded Kutaragi over his statement “With the PS3, our intentions have been to create a machine with supercomputer calculation capabilities for home entertainment...You can experience the 4D world.” 4D is the fourth dimension. The three dimensions (3D) are length, width, depth. 4D adds time. So, game graphics have actually been 4D for a long time, 3D in motion. Why that phrase was seized on as another point of ridicule is beyond understanding. But now, look at a game like Heavy Rain plus the new controller wands in addition to 3D Blu-ray and some people are finally starting to understand what Ken Kutaragi was talking about,-- 4 years ago--, about a living world inside a game machine

Ken Kutaragi is a visionary engineer and people should be deeply ashamed for slapping the Krazy Ken label on him. He is the reason Sony is even in the videogame console market, being the primer mover for Sony to enter the market with the Playstation 1. He really did want the PS3 to launch with two HDMI outputs, two Ethernet ports, 6 USB. The problem is that would have cost $1000 then. The truth is that, while being a visionary engineer, he would have been a disaster as CEO of Sony, which is a corporation that has to earn profits to stay in business. The real shame is that so many of these "press" people ganged up on him to bring him down and so many suckers were duped into following that "press".[/quote]

I remember every one of those interviews and you're right about the media taking things out of context, Ken Kutaragi was the Shigeru Miyamoto of the gaming industry and many aimed to destroy him for their own selfish agenda. I miss the Guy and I hope he'll be a part of the Playstation 4 developement team.

When all is said and done the real winner are the gamers just look at what we have in-store for us in the future more AAA titles than I can think of.

I'm glad I took a year off from gaming forums it allowed me to go out and actually play the games that developers work so hard on which so many seem to forget, I enjoyed them without the bias ridicule tainting my experience.

Hats off to Sony they are a great company no matter what anyone says.