Is this normal? Ps3 freezes when tranfering files

Jul 1, 2008
It happened before but I ignored it since I was transfering files from a disc I figured it was the disk that had the problem

Now im trying to transfer 2216 songs from my ipod to my ps3 but it suddenly froze at 40 (1% complete)

its not cause of drive space because I checked if I had space before I started

Its been like that for 15 minutes now

kalishnikov

Superior Member
Jul 3, 2007
PA
I wouldn't call it exactly 'normal', no. I've transferred quite a few music files onto my PS (from CDs though, not iPod as it doesn't keep formatting from the iPod) and haven't had it lock-up yet whilst transferring.

Not sure what your issue could be though, perhaps someone more knowledgeable with hardware then myself could give you a better idea.

Mr.Blah

Apprentice
Sep 14, 2007
The same thing happened to me last night, I was moving songs off of a USB thumb drive and it froze around 30-40%. Nothing was working so I did a soft reset. When it came back on the songs that had been transfered worked fine, but I haven't played a game on it yet. I'm using a MGS 80GB bundle and I haven't updated the firmware yet.

Jul 1, 2008
what a terrible flaw for such a "power house"

It just freezes. Dead. Not even the ps button works. I have to manually shut it down with the power button( and even then that takes atleast 10 seconds) and reset it

Stylee

Apprentice
May 27, 2006
no that is not normal.

i have transfered ~2,000 songs before and no problem.

i just did it again with my new layout which contains 1,690 songs.

while it did take a while, it never froze, there were times where it did pause for a moment (~5 - 10 secs) but it kept on going.

Jun 9, 2008
when i first got my 40 gb ps3 it froze when i would tranfer siles to psp to ps3 so i returned it and got a new one it hasent locked on me while transfering files.

Zodia

Superior Member
Dec 14, 2006
www.sonicassassins.net
[QUOTE="HowlBridges, post: 0]It happened before but I ignored it since I was transfering files from a disc I figured it was the disk that had the problem

Now im trying to transfer 2216 songs from my ipod to my ps3 but it suddenly froze at 40 (1% complete)

its not cause of drive space because I checked if I had space before I started

Its been like that for 15 minutes now[/quote] That happened to me as well with my old ipod, it would freeze just trying to play the songs from the ipod, but once i disconnected the ipod (with the PS3 still on) it would go back to normal.
After updating the ipod's firmware it worked better, so you may want to try that (if you haven't already).