Issue with Wii connecting to the internet

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
I'm just going to re-post what I put on the official nintendo tech support forms.

--

Hello,

Recently I tried to connect my Wii online to go buy a virtual console game or two and was met with this rather annoying error.

The problem is that from what I gather the error is caused by a password mismatch, but I've already confirmed that it's the correct password and security.

My router is set to broadcast G/N mixed,
Auto WPA/WPA2 Auto,
TKIP and AES.
Double checked the password,
Restarted the router twice (powercycled).
The router's channel automatically chooses itself, and currently is set to channel 11. (I've also tried 1 and it proved no help).
Added the Wii's MAC address to the exception list, but MAC filtering is already set to allow all connections.

I've tried connecting in the following manners:

WPA TKIP (what the Wii defaults to when finding the connection.)
WPA2 AES
No encryption.

I'd also like to note that I've connected to this very same router before, and no other device has an issue obtaining a Wi-Fi connection. Currently there's only 4 devices connected, but I know the router can support more as we've had many more connected without an issue.

What should I be doing now?

--

In addition to this, this morning I reset the router to factory default settings and re-established the SSID/Security. Tried again with no encryption, and again with. No difference.

Also, my DSi has no issues connecting under the very same settings. Right now no one else is home so these are the minimal conditions for connections. The ONLY thing connected ATM is my PS3 and my laptop. Nothing. Normally there's at least 2 laptops, 2 iPhones, and at least 1 PS3 connected and there's no issues. It's been quite a few months since I've connected/used the Wii but it has worked with this router before.

Help. I just want legit Chrono Trigger :(

Last edited:

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
Hate to bump threads but it appears the Wii/DS section is very low-traffic.

Anyone have the faintest idea? The official Nintendo forums said call Nintendo's tech support... and honestly I'm using that as a last resort because I just don't feel like dealing with over the phone customer care at the moment.

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
Have you tried disabling all the security-stuff from your wireless router? I might've had the same problem with my old PSP where every other device's wifi worked but for the PSP's wifi to work I had to have an unprotected Wifi connection with no passwords or IP/MAC filtering so anyone walking past this building could've taken advantage of my connection. You might not want to keep your router that way at all times, of course, but if you just want to, say, download a firmware update or a game, then I don't think it's too dangerous to do that for as long as necessary.

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
[QUOTE="Fenix, post: 5585958]Have no clue what the issue could be but have you tried WEP instead of WPA? (I use WEP, for some reason lol)[/QUOTE]
No, but to be honest I feel like trying it without any security ruled out WEP vs WPA.