It Finally Happened... I cut cable!

DayWalker

The Heisman
May 9, 2006
After years of negotiating...

I finally told Comcast to kick rocks!

Going with netflix and hulu+... via comcast internet until I can think of an alternate provider.

anyone else out there a cable cutter?

Kwes

Unbound Mercenary
Mar 30, 2009
It can be quite liberating. I cut from comcast a few months ago, was done dealing with their bullshit.

Still using their shit internet unfortunately.

DayWalker

The Heisman
May 9, 2006
I told them I wasn't willing to pay over $100 a month for cable and internet... and they wouldn't give me a promo... (they usually do)

Need to figure out if I can get centurylink for internet only for under what comcast charges...$70...

Kwes

Unbound Mercenary
Mar 30, 2009
[QUOTE="DayWalker, post: 6063903]I told them I wasn't willing to pay over $100 a month for cable and internet... and they wouldn't give me a promo... (they usually do)

Need to figure out if I can get centurylink for internet only for under what comcast charges...$70...[/QUOTE]

Same, and honestly, the service is not worth the price.

But if you find something cheaper, let me know. ;)

DayWalker

The Heisman
May 9, 2006
[QUOTE="Dwenny, post: 6063913]If it wasn't for the sports, I'd probably change also. Not sure of the alternatives.[/QUOTE]

yeah if football was on right now there's no way I could do it...

...I might call them in august and see if I can get a promo...

Admartian

Wibbly Wobbly
Nov 28, 2006
New Zealand
I thought this was going to some claud3-esque thread about finally being rid of constipation.

Speaking of internet-plans, what are the bandwidth/data caps (if any) for your typical US plan?

Admartian

Wibbly Wobbly
Nov 28, 2006
New Zealand
[QUOTE="DayWalker, post: 6063923]yeah if football was on right now there's no way I could do it...

...I might call them in august and see if I can get a promo...[/QUOTE]
Wouldn't be cheaper to get NFL GamePass?

May 5, 2011
USA
[QUOTE="DayWalker, post: 6063929]anybody know if DISH and DirectTV are any better?[/QUOTE]

I can vouch for DirecTv. My grandmother has comcast and yes, DirecTv is better. We've had DirecTv for years at my parents. You get all kinds of sport packages, movies you can order, and etc.

DirecTv and Metrocast rock! :D

Lebowski

Master Sage
Nov 29, 2007
Bowling
Nice, congrats on the step forward!!

I hate my cable company too (Rogers) but I'm inclined to stay with them because of the TMN on Demand channel which has HBO in HD, so I get the latest Game of Thrones every Tuesday when it updates its tv shows and movie listings. I also like the NASA, Nat Geo and Speed channels I get in HD.

Normally, I would cut since I'm barely watching any of those channels, but I'll keep it. And until Internet streaming can completely get rid of buffer times, I'll stick with my TV. I HATE watching a movie or tv show on a stream. It lowers the quality and can buffer, which is a pain in the urethra.

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
[QUOTE="DayWalker, post: 6063903]
Need to figure out if I can get centurylink for internet only for under what comcast charges...$70...[/QUOTE]

$70 for Internet? Thieves!

On the move with Tapatalk

Fenix

Elite Sage
Aug 19, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I could never go without cable, and my internet and cable is $129. Though $20 of that is The Movie Network, and I do got some other "special" channels that I wouldnt have otherwise such as AMC and some HD programing. Doesnt help Netflix and that in Canada completely sucks.

podsaurus

El Presidente
Jul 2, 2008
in a box
[QUOTE="DayWalker, post: 6063929]anybody know if DISH and DirectTV are any better?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="The Black Wolf, post: 6063942]I can vouch for DirecTv. My grandmother has comcast and yes, DirecTv is better. We've had DirecTv for years at my parents. You get all kinds of sport packages, movies you can order, and etc.

DirecTv and Metrocast rock! :D[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's different where you are but we had DirectTV for a while and switched back to Time Warner because it was a lot cheaper. I think we saved like $90 or something. I don't remember but there was a pretty significant difference.

I would never want to replace cable with some internet service. I know many people are jumping on with watching things online, on phones and tablets but not me. No thank you.

Ezekiel

Forum Sage
Apr 29, 2006
It's been about 8 years since I've payed for cable. I cut that corrupted, overpriced cord a long time ago and honestly, don't miss it in the least. You'd be surprised at how much you can "live without". For me, it was a net gain and one less thing to worry about paying. But in all honesty, it's hard to justify $100-$200 for 500+ channels of THE SAME GARBAGE day in and day out.

One thing I'm looking into is a cheaper internet service alternative. Paying $70 a month on a 20 megabit connection is a rip-off. I sure hope Google gets its act together and rolls out nationwide Gigabit internet for a decent price of less than $100 a month so that all these other corrupted ISPs are forced to compete on a level they never have before and are forced to provide way better service for way less. Ultimately, the power shift will go back to the consumer and companies will either offer superior solutions or die, like they should in a legitimate capitalist environment.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="DayWalker, post: 6063903]I told them I wasn't willing to pay over $100 a month for cable and internet... and they wouldn't give me a promo... (they usually do)

Was the internet part of the cable pack and they knocked off $30 or was it seperate fee?
$100 for cable plus $70 for internet.
Eitherway $70 (£45) for internet seems very expensive and it better be at least 100Mbit and unlimited downloads.

Its weird how thesedays companies dont givea shit about existing customers and just about getting more.

Last edited:

robvandam111

Master Poster
Mar 11, 2010
Miami, Fl

Even if they're not in your area. That would be the price you'd be paying for Google Fiber and you'll be getting 4gb download speed per second lol.

Sir_Scud

Super Elite
Dec 30, 2007
I cut cable last year. I looked at my roommate and asked, "Why the fuck do we pay for this? There is nothing to watch." Hell, we generally used our computers more for tv. The only luxury was sports, but I'd rather miss the game than spend over $100 a month for cable and internet. Glad we did.

Oct 18, 2006
[QUOTE="Sir_Scud, post: 6064674]I cut cable last year. I looked at my roommate and asked, "Why the fuck do we pay for this? There is nothing to watch." Hell, we generally used our computers more for tv. The only luxury was sports, but I'd rather miss the game than spend over $100 a month for cable and internet. Glad we did.[/QUOTE]

That is the issue I am running into, 99% of the stuff that is on TV is just garbage...I need to just figure out where my shows that I do watch are available on which service and do the same thing!

Jaeger

Master Sage
Mar 2, 2008
I can't remember the last time I actually watched proper TV. I always find myself either downloading the latest episodes of a show and putting them on my iPhone or PS3 or using catch-up (ITV Player, BBC iPlayer, 4OD) or using a streaming service such as Netflix. In this day and age, and with the technology we have available to us, the need for cable/satellite TV is becoming less and less.

Dec 23, 2010

In general, they suck. Just as expensive as cable, and not as reliable. Specifically, if you live anywhere that has severe storms then expect to lose your TV for the duration of the storms. I can tell you from experience that losing your TV when the tornado sirens go off is a deal-killer for me. I need to know where the tornado is, not have a message about unable to find a signal.

Personally I've been extremely happy with Verizon FIOS service. It wasn't available at my last house, but once I moved I was able to cut my TV/Internet bill in half while almost doubling my internet speed with Verizon. Their TV + Internet (50mbps down/25mbps up)+ Phone is just $90.