It's hilarious that KZ: Mercenary is the best GG game I've ever played

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
It may also be one of the best games I had ever played on a handheld. It's nothing special but just unlocking stuff and getting experience points while playing reminds me of MGS however it's not as complicated as MGS, which makes it less annoying and it can actually be pretty strategic (reminds me of brothers in arms gameplay where you are constantly behind cover) because I can't just bum rush everyone - although i have done that and it works too to some degree.

The handheld's controls restrict me from playing it like a regular shooter so I'm doing a lot of behind-the-cover gun play and it doesn't feel overly done. The production value is top notch, probably the highest i've seen for a handheld game. it could easily pass for a console shooter but where KZ on console has never truly kept my interest (except KZ on the PS2), this game has surprisingly kept my interest the most compared to all other Vita games I've played. In fact, Uncharted was my first high production game on it and it just could not keep my interest and just felt tedious on the handheld.

I just can't help but laugh because GG has tried so many times to make a decent shooter and the best game they ever make is for a handheld lol. Not to mention, it feels like an expansion/DLC compared to other KZ games. The game doesn't feel grand/epic in any way, which isn't a bad thing, I just like how much content is in there and how addictive it is to get points and unlock items/weapons/equipment/armor etc.

I also like the little radar they give you which helps you spot where the enemies are. Usually I don't want to know but the game being strategic, it helps.

My only gripe would be that the game isn't really designed for a handheld...it just sort of works but I would still prefer to play it on a home console. It doesn't really take full advantage of the handheld's touchscreen capabilities.