I've swalloed into buying a tablet

MacP

Veteran
Jun 27, 2008
I was looking to buy a tablet relatively cheap less than £100 to be exact. After much deliberation I bought the Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7 7" tablet. The main reason I bought this particular tablet was because I wanted everything I needed to do at the touch of a button. Which seemed to me what the Kindle Fire does.

Does anybody here own a Amazon tablet?

How would you rate it?

jj03

Elite Guru
Apr 7, 2007
yeah. my wife does but regrets it. she hates the fuckin thing. amazons kindle, even tho its android, has been borked a bit. like a special needs version of android and not in a good way. its slows down badly after a while, and imo, just ain't very good at all. i'm still using the 2012 nexus 7, updated with lollipop. no bloat, no bs, just pute android. runs great still and is great for steaming shit like showbox, hd cinema etc. would be proper cheap now too.

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
I own the Kindle Fire HD and I would sooner recommend a competitor tablet over it. The Kindle Fire has limitations because Amazon is a cunt about things. For example you can't install Google programs (it's fucking Android!!!) on it. You need to root it first, install the google play store, then install the programs through it. Amazon replaced Google's store with their own version, but it has lower program support, less reviews, etc.

I got my Kindle Fire for free so I'm totally happy with it. It does play most games and programs fairly well. But I wouldn't buy one if I was looking for a tablet.

MacP

Veteran
Jun 27, 2008
I've cancelled it now as I do not want to be restricted to what Amazon wants me to use. Are the cheap tablets on ebay worth it?

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I own 4 new Kindle Fire HD and 1 original Kindle Fire HD tablets. They are great for kids, but not so much for adults. And they do start to freeze up and require a hard reboot.

jj03

Elite Guru
Apr 7, 2007
yeah..that freezing up shit if down to when you delete stuff, the actual uninstall process gets rid of the program but doesn't free up the space it occupied. like ghosting...but worse.

i'd still recommend a nexus 7 2012...for well under a ton, its the cats pyjama's.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="jj03, post: 6435562]yeah. my wife does but regrets it. she hates the fuckin thing. amazons kindle, even tho its android, has been borked a bit. like a special needs version of android and not in a good way. its slows down badly after a while, and imo, just ain't very good at all. i'm still using the 2012 nexus 7, updated with lollipop. no bloat, no bs, just pute android. runs great still and is great for steaming shit like showbox, hd cinema etc. would be proper cheap now too.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the nexus is probably the best way to go for android because it will always be up to date.

darky89

Forum Sage
Dec 3, 2007
In the bushes.
I've not used one myself, but Tesco's Hundl range is meant to be good. The new one, Hundl 2 is £99 and was well received.

OUR VERDICT
This is a stylish, desirable, and cheap full-featured Android tablet that will satisfy the whole family. It completely outshines virtually everything in the same price bracket. You'll be impressed at just how much Tesco's Hudl 2 offers for your money.
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/tesco-hudl-2-1267726/review

This all puts a dent in the appeal of the Hudl 2, but as long as you’re aware of its limitations, there’s still plenty to recommend here. Nothing else we’ve seen offers anywhere near this level of performance and all-round screen quality for the money, in a chassis that looks as modern and tasteful. Add a selection of useful preloaded apps and a front-end that’s reasonably clean, and you have one fantastically good-value tablet.

The Tesco Hudl 2 is a great budget tablet, but before you take the plunge, it's worth considering some of its rivals. We've summarised the best on the following page.*
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/tablets/391081/tesco-hudl-2#alternatives

*(the following page)http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/tablets/391081/tesco-hudl-2/page/0/1

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
[QUOTE="MacP, post: 6435549]I was looking to buy a tablet relatively cheap less than £100 to be exact. After much deliberation I bought the Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7 7" tablet. The main reason I bought this particular tablet was because I wanted everything I needed to do at the touch of a button. Which seemed to me what the Kindle Fire does.

Does anybody here own a Amazon tablet?

How would you rate it?[/QUOTE]

It's wort spending a bit more for a better tablet.

http://www.johnlewis.com/asus-memo-...om-android-7-wi-fi-16gb/p1721233?colour=Black

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="MATRIX 2, post: 6435602]It's wort spending a bit more for a better tablet.

http://www.johnlewis.com/asus-memo-...om-android-7-wi-fi-16gb/p1721233?colour=Black[/QUOTE]

I have an Asus and wouldn't recommend it honestly. I have a TF 300 and while I loved it at first it started getting slow at times, randomly crashing and sometimes almost grinds to a halt. It was a shame because I've always heard good things about Asus but my experience hasn't been very good. When it works good I like it. I don't have much on it as far as apps go either.

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK
I never thought that I would ever get a tablet and never saw the point in getting one. Then last year I had to get one with a stylus and now I can't see how i lived without one. It has to be the most useful thing ever.

I've got a Samsung SM-P600 Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition so it's not exactly cheap...

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="Varsh, post: 6435653]I never thought that I would ever get a tablet and never saw the point in getting one. Then last year I had to get one with a stylus and now I can't see how i lived without one. It has to be the most useful thing ever.

I've got a Samsung SM-P600 Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition so it's not exactly cheap...[/QUOTE]

I don't use my laptop at all anymore. It is really amazing how useful and convenient they are. It's nice picking up something the size of a notebook pressing a button, and touching a screen and you're ready to go.

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
Yeah, I'm pretty amazed how much I like tablets now. I use my desktop for actual work and gaming, but my Kindle Fire is useful when I'm traveling or want to lounge on my bed or in the living room.

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
Say whatever you want, I keep reading 'I've swallowed a tablet'.
If you have, I suggest you visit a doctor..

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
[QUOTE="PS4freak, post: 6435614]I have an Asus and wouldn't recommend it honestly. I have a TF 300 and while I loved it at first it started getting slow at times, randomly crashing and sometimes almost grinds to a halt. It was a shame because I've always heard good things about Asus but my experience hasn't been very good. When it works good I like it. I don't have much on it as far as apps go either.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't really judge a company based on their older hardware. Especially at that time since 4.0 was when android software/hardware started to become half decent. Also Asus is much more likely to provide android updates than a store brand device like tesco.

regarding the larger conversation about (dumb) tablets I still don't find them all that useful. Even browsing the web/forums, I still prefer a the traditional keyboard and mouse/touch pads found on regular computers to the touchscreen on my Tab Pro 8.4. (perhaps it has to do with the high screen resolution of 2500 X 1600)

The only exception to this is something like the surface or a decent 2 in 1 with a quality keyboard/touchpad dock/base.