Jack Tretton, issues message to PlayStation fans

Agriel

Forum Sage
Mar 7, 2007
The SCEA President and CEO, Jack Tretton, has issued a direct message to the PlayStation family following the news that he is to step down from his roles at the heart of PlayStation.

Speaking on the U.S. PlayStation Blog, Tretton laments the mixed feelings felt with the mutual decision but takes solace in the knowledge that the PlayStation brand is as healthy as ever following on from the hugely-successful launch of the PlayStation 4.

A full transcript can be found below:
PlayStation Nation,It is with mixed feelings that I inform you that I will be stepping down as President and CEO of SCEA effective March 31, 2014. This is a result of a mutual agreement with SCEA, and I leave knowing that the PlayStation brand has never been stronger, PlayStation 4 momentum continues to accelerate, and the future will only get brighter for our gamers.
Serving PlayStation fans for the past 19 years has been one of the most rewarding experiences in my career. Your passion for gaming inspired me every day.

I want to thank you for constantly pushing PlayStation to deliver breakthrough gaming and entertainment experiences, and to never settle for “good enough.” The embodiment of this commitment can be found in the PS4, which has quickly become the #1 next-gen console worldwide…thanks to you.
We’ve shared many memories over the past two decades and I’ll always be grateful for your support.
Thank you,
Jack Tretton
http://www.psu.com/a022708/Departin...ck-Tretton-issues-message-to-PlayStation-fans

Two4DaMoney

Master Sage
Jun 4, 2007
[QUOTE="RyanGT, post: 6313327]The timing of this kind of confuses me...[/QUOTE]
End of the Financial Year

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
[QUOTE="daLa, post: 6313371]Is he stepping out of the whole business though? Out of Sony I mean.[/QUOTE]
believe so, or he would've said something. also why would someone downgrade...he was the top guy. unless he is replacing the top top guy lol.

but i wonder where he's going or if he's working anymore. he didn't say anything about that.

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="Sufi, post: 6313382]believe so, or he would've said something. also why would someone downgrade...he was the top guy. unless he is replacing the top top guy lol. but i wonder where he's going or if he's working anymore. he didn't say anything about that.[/QUOTE] Hes going to be the E3 keynote speaker for MS. lol

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
Although with the years I got used to Tretton, I can't say he was one of my favourites. I am very interested to see who is replacing him.

Old Man Gamer

Superior Member
Jul 15, 2012
Mutual agreement? Sounds like they're forcing him out while trying to make it look like they're not.

I imagine this was written by Sony PR and not Jack himself. Sony would have had to approve of any official statement that was released.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="Old Man Gamer, post: 6315530]Mutual agreement? Sounds like they're forcing him out while trying to make it look like they're not.

I imagine this was written by Sony PR and not Jack himself. Sony would have had to approve of any official statement that was released.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Or maybe it all means exactly what it says and Tretton wrote what it says he wrote.

crazy thoughts

Old Man Gamer

Superior Member
Jul 15, 2012
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6315534]Or maybe it all means exactly what it says and Tretton wrote what it says he wrote.

crazy thoughts[/QUOTE]

We'll never know. Either is as believable or unbelievable as the other.

One thing is for sure, it didn't go out without Sony's stamp of approval.

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6315534]Or maybe it all means exactly what it says and Tretton wrote what it says he wrote.

crazy thoughts[/QUOTE]
Yea, but has to be more to it than that. It has to be money involved. Its unlikely after 19 years he would just decide to just up and leave. If you look at the timing of his departure, which is the end of the fiscal year, it makes sense to at least speculate that money was the main issue. Cuts have to be made before the next year, and I think they wanted to cut his pay and he wouldn't go for it. I can't see any other reason why he would leave.

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6315544]Yea, but has to be more to it than that. It has to be money involved. Its unlikely after 19 years he would just decide to just up and leave. If you look at the timing of his departure, which is the end of the fiscal year, it makes sense to at least speculate that money was the main issue. Cuts have to be made before the next year, and I think they wanted to cut his pay and he wouldn't go for it. I can't see any other reason why he would leave.[/QUOTE]

Or maybe he wanted to be a ostrich farmer all of his life and now is his chance!

Old Man Gamer

Superior Member
Jul 15, 2012
Instead of being idiotic, I believe it's safe to assume, based on the tone and wording that he was forced out. That, I'm convinced of. Especially because there was no announcement of retirement or where he is going.

Those things are always mentioned when the departure is the choice of the employee.

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="Old Man Gamer, post: 6315563]Instead of being idiotic, I believe it's safe to assume, based on the tone and wording that he was forced out. That, I'm convinced of. Especially because there was no announcement of retirement or where he is going.

Those things are always mentioned when the departure is the choice of the employee.

what tone?! It is text!

Last edited:
May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 6315568]Why the heck would they force him out? I thought he was pretty damn good for Sony.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Thats why i said it had to be because of money. Sony is making cuts across the board and that includes the PS division. Jack was there since playstation started and i can't think of any other reason after 19 years he would step down other than a pay cut. Maybe sony offered him a take it or leave it situation. I bet they got the new person for a lot cheaper than Jack.

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6315593]Same here. Thats why i said it had to be because of money. Sony is making cuts across the board and that includes the PS division. Jack was there since playstation started and i can't think of any other reason after 19 years he would step down other than a pay cut. Maybe sony offered him a take it or leave it situation. I bet they got the new person for a lot cheaper than Jack.[/QUOTE]

Stay at one job 19 years....then talk

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6315593]Same here. Thats why i said it had to be because of money. Sony is making cuts across the board and that includes the PS division. Jack was there since playstation started and i can't think of any other reason after 19 years he would step down other than a pay cut. Maybe sony offered him a take it or leave it situation. I bet they got the new person for a lot cheaper than Jack.[/QUOTE] For once I''m actually in agreement with you. And we even saw Sony excecutives give back their bonuses. So my guess would be money, quite possibly a pay cut and when that didnt fly then Sony and Jack "mutually" agreed it was time for him to go. Of course we're all just speculating here and we'll never know for sure what really happened.

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Sufi, post: 6315633]8 years out of those were spent on this forum taking the piss on people.[/QUOTE]

And they loved every drop....lol

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="JDizzleNO1, post: 6315651]regardless of what we know and don't know, i think we can all agree what a wonderful job he did bring our most beloved console (most of us at least) onto the market and making it a dominant force in video games.[/QUOTE] Thats for sure. He'll be greatly missed.

Agriel

Forum Sage
Mar 7, 2007
[QUOTE="Old Man Gamer, post: 6315542]We'll never know. Either is as believable or unbelievable as the other.

One thing is for sure, it didn't go out without Sony's stamp of approval.

Because we can't prove either way, why do we need to pick the most radical one that makes everyone look bad. Let the man leave with grace, he gave us 19 years of PlayStation greatness, he is a legend, forced out or not.