Jack Tretton, issues message to PlayStation fans

Agriel

Forum Sage
Mar 7, 2007
[QUOTE="Old Man Gamer, post: 6315563]Instead of being idiotic, I believe it's safe to assume, based on the tone and wording that he was forced out. That, I'm convinced of. Especially because there was no announcement of retirement or where he is going.

Those things are always mentioned when the departure is the choice of the employee.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
I am sorry for saying this but I have to, and I think I speak for at least a few people around here, but man, sometimes, you are just bat-shit insane, seriously, SMH.

Old Man Gamer

Superior Member
Jul 15, 2012
[QUOTE="Agriel, post: 6315705]I am sorry for saying this but I have to, and I think I speak for at least a few people around here, but man, sometimes, you are just bat-shit insane, seriously, SMH.[/QUOTE]

No need to be sorry. That's an opinion. Just like you don't agree with my opinion, I don't agree with yours.

Just because he did a great job at Sony doesn't mean that we all need to do a circle jerk and rule out anything and everything that isn't 100% positive.

It does appear, for whatever reason, that he was pressured to leave. Maybe it was financial, maybe it was something else. One thing for sure is that he didn't leave Sony for the sole purpose of taking another job. If that was the case it would have been part of the announcement.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Agriel

Forum Sage
Mar 7, 2007
[QUOTE="Old Man Gamer, post: 6315710]No need to be sorry. That's an opinion. Just like you don't agree with my opinion, I don't agree with yours.

Just because he did a great job at Sony doesn't mean that we all need to do a circle jerk and rule out anything and everything that isn't 100% positive.

It does appear, for whatever reason, that he was pressured to leave. Maybe it was financial, maybe it was something else. One thing for sure is that he didn't leave Sony for the sole purpose of taking another job. If that was the case it would have been part of the announcement.

Yeah, I am not telling you to stop, I enjoying reading your posts to be honest.

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
[QUOTE="Old Man Gamer, post: 6315563]Instead of being idiotic, I believe it's safe to assume, based on the tone and wording that he was forced out. That, I'm convinced of. Especially because there was no announcement of retirement or where he is going.

Those things are always mentioned when the departure is the choice of the employee.

It's safe for you to assume that. I assume that a man who worked almost two decades on a platform, from its launch, rise to dominance, fall from grace and return to the thrown probably feels quite fulfilled and happy. He is a much loved and highly respected figurehead for the company who had probably one of the greatest moments in E3 history when he layed the smack down on MS before a rapturous crowd. I think the conclusion of a contract is the perfect time for him to pass the baton and leave on top.

He was a humble, sincere and well spoken exec who achieved a lot for Sony. i don't know what tone caused you to interpret that he was forced out but from what I've seen it is a minority opinion not based on any reasonable proof.

Last edited:

rene2kx

Dedicated Member
Jan 23, 2011
It's just his term's end. Companies cycle employees after a set period of time as per their rules and regulations. Nothing gives the impression that Tretton was pressured to leave or fired. Microsoft recently had their ceo swapped as well.

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Bottom line is......we know jack shit. All this speculation is worthless. If/when his departure is given further explanation then there will be something to talk about.

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
well no i think some speculation can be made. we are definitely given some clues. i think old gamer is on the right track but i'm also thinking that maybe it wasn't necessarily "direct" pressure but they probably went to him and said, alright dude, you did well, i think it's time for us to get someone young in here and focus on something else.

since it's "mutual" and he didn't announce where he's going (which we may still find out later lol), mutual means that Sony wanted it too.

so i think it's more like, he understood or got a hint that Sony wants a new direction. the new guy, even though i don't care much for him, strategically is probably a better idea than him.

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="Ghost, post: 6315775]It's safe for you to assume that. I assume that a man who worked almost two decades on a platform, from its launch, rise to dominance, fall from grace and return to the thrown probably feels quite fulfilled and happy. He is a much loved and highly respected figurehead for the company who had probably one of the greatest moments in E3 history when he layed the smack down on MS before a rapturous crowd. I think the conclusion of a contract is the perfect time for him to pass the baton and leave on top. He was a humble, sincere and well spoken exec who achieved a lot for Sony. i don't know what tone caused you to interpret that he was forced out but from what I've seen it is a minority opinion not based on any reasonable proof.[/QUOTE] I'm really going to miss his E3 keynotes. He seemed to have a genuine excitement about what was coming for PlayStation.

Ezekiel

Forum Sage
Apr 29, 2006
[QUOTE="thanatos144, post: 6315704]I hope they are smart enough not to put a man who doesn't speak english in his position. Sometimes the japanese can be thick that way

tapatalk post[/QUOTE]

That's what she said. :snicker

But I do see your point. Sony as whole though, seems to be returning to its roots. Maybe this means they're returning to all the things that brought them their initial success.

Julz

Apprentice
Dec 6, 2007
I will always remember jack tretton, he was literally our Captain Kirk, the man looks like Shatner's love child.

Also this:

[video=youtube;tRm3IKkG-hc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRm3IKkG-hc[/video]

Follows up the smackdown by trolling xbox and it's online DRM check-in system.

Last edited: