Jim Ryan: We're not hearing PS5 STORAGE criticism

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
Then what are you exactly hearing, Jim? Praise?

https://www.pushsquare.com/guides/how-to-remove-other-storage-space-from-ps5
https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/5/21551165/sony-ps5-playstation-5-no-m2-ssd-expansion-launch
https://www.nme.com/en_asia/news/gaming-news/ps5-storage-glitch-problem-2816234

This guy seems to be so out of touch with the community. Sounds like those old executives in suits who don't know sh*t about what's really going on with their own customers.

I believe PlayStation sub divisions are doing all they can, but every time I hear this guy talking, it's something news worthy and not in a positive way. If it wasn't because of Sony's talented studios, I swear to God this guy would've become PlayStation's Don Mattrick.

Source: https://www.videogameschronicle.com...laystation-ceo/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Dec 20, 2006
Jim Ryan has been around for a long time with Sony.

But he has never been the face of playstation until now. And he is nothing but a suit. If God of War 2 is cross gen its specifically because of his shitty mandate.

I miss House, Tretton, Hirai, even the middling Layden was better than him.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
This reads like one of those "taken out of context" type quotes. As the article kinda elaborated on that straight away:
“We’ll obviously watch what happens as people unbox their PlayStations and start to use them. We think we’ll be okay. We obviously are able to monitor harddrive usage on the PS4 microscopically and everything that we saw there indicates that we should be fine.”
There's a difference between people having issue with, and there being an actual "problem". If their data from this gen shows people have all of two titles installed on their console then what they offer is sufficient. It might bug a few people, sure, but it doesn't come across as the 'fingers in ears' type of ignorance as implied in the op.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Yeah I miss House,Hirai and Tretton too. Yeah there's always a issue with storage space with buying a console especially at launch.

Even with PS4 it had 500GB for it's first console which was no where near enough.

Which I don't think you should have to fork out extra money for a harddrive. Yeah I hope Sony fixes this issue.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
It might bug a few people, sure, but it doesn't come across as the 'fingers in ears' type of ignorance as implied in the op.
What about this? Do you actually believe they're not aware about this and general consumer worries regarding space and lack of expansion? Come on man. Jim Ryan is a horrible CEO... all that comes out of his mouth is that everything's ok and everything's justified.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
What about this? Do you actually believe they're not aware about this and general consumer worries regarding space and lack of expansion? Come on man. Jim Ryan is a horrible CEO... all that comes out of his mouth is that everything's ok and everything's justified.
What about what? Storage being used to store things? Can't imagine what else they'd use it for...

Do you actually believe they're not aware about this and general consumer worries regarding space and lack of expansion? Come on man.
I'm somewhat curious; Are you asking me this, or was this intended for someone else? Because this reads like you are asking the OP this question since it is counter to what was provided there and has no relevance to what i posted...

If you have some emotional attachment to Jim Ryan, then shoot for the moon. Just don't expect those of us that don't really give a monkeys about CEO's to hop on that particular ride with you... A CEO saying CEO things sounds like a CEO to me.

Jun 4, 2007
I don't mind Jim Ryan. There's exclusives available at the PS5 launch. He's supplying demand to the best of his ability. He's giving people a reason to buy the PS5. He's bringing in the best gaming line-up ever for the launch year of a playstion(especially if GOW:R holds). He's not forcing a gamepass-like service, that losses money, that will dilute the quality of games Sony are known for making. When I stop getting the games I want then I'll have a problem with him. And you guys know how vocal I can be about a CEO that's not doing his job and blowing smoke to ease the lack of games.

As for storage, Mark Cerny told us to wait for their list of SSD that will work with the PS5. He said this list would be available at launch or shortly after. There's no need for anyone to get in an uproar over it now. We knew this months ago lol. The solution to this issue is simple. Download and keep what you want to constantly play. Delete the rest. Don't want to delete anything? Too bad. That's just the situation right now.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
What about what? Storage being used to store things? Can't imagine what else they'd use it for...
No, that refers to the horrible storage management. "Other" Category is filled by "trash" that should be removed automatically.

I'm somewhat curious; Are you asking me this, or was this intended for someone else? Because this reads like you are asking the OP this question since it is counter to what was provided there and has no relevance to what i posted...

If you have some emotional attachment to Jim Ryan, then shoot for the moon. Just don't expect those of us that don't really give a monkeys about CEO's to hop on that particular ride with you... A CEO saying CEO things sounds like a CEO to me.
🙄 Yes, it was aimed to you. That was clearly an answer that minimizes the issues with PS5 low storage about which the OS isn't precisely helping. You can't use data gathered from the mainstream PS4 users (aka casuals) when the PS5's being sold at launch are mostly bought by hardcore gamers. Using that explanation is taking your consumer for fools.

So yeah, it's a 'fingers in ears' answer.

As for Ryan, yes, I do believe he's a horrible head of PlayStation. Very disconnected from the consumer and extremely corporative, almost arrogant in his answers. That's the kind of management that hurt PS3 and Xbox One.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
No, that refers to the horrible storage management. "Other" Category is filled by "trash" that should be removed automatically.
Strawman argument. This is neither here nor there to the relevance of the thread. Odd tho that the post states "horrible storage management" then adds a picture of a nicely managed storage. A service that cleans up might be a bit lax, sure, but hardly the end of the world... particularly when the provided link shows a manual workaround method.

You can't use data gathered from the mainstream PS4 users (aka casuals) when the PS5's being sold at launch are mostly bought by hardcore gamers. Using that explanation is taking your consumer for fools.
You're guuna need to cite this.