Jobs in England (16/17 year olds)

proof

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2005
Well guys, ive been working at a small butchers shop in my town on a Saturday morning for the last year and a half. Im now approaching 17 and i need to start paying for driving lessons, a car, car insurance and petrol. I also need money to go out with and spend at my lesuire.
Now obviously, my £5 an hour, 5 hours a week isn't going to stretch close enough to even consider doing most of this, so i was wondering if you guys knew how the Supermarkets paid.
Near me there is a Sainsburys, Waitrose, and a bit further afield there is a Tesco. I know there are lots of jobs at each of these places, and i wondered if anyone knew how you get treated, how much they pay and how many hours you are required to work?

SessDMC

Forum Sage
Dec 13, 2004
Well my friend worked at Morrisons and he got treated like crap, im not saying that about all morrisons shuper markets, but id just investigate first before filling out that application form.

Apart from that apparently its good money and worth starting out.

Womble

Master Poster
Dec 30, 2005
Well my cousin works at Sainsburys and he likes it there, he says the money is alrite, and he has an average amount of shifts to do. But i'm not sure how many hours he works.

Feb 16, 2007
I need a job but I'm scared that it will get in the way of my studies (....and my gaming) so I'm still reluctant to search for a job. About the supermarkets well it's a good place to start and gain work experience - which will only expand your future job possibilities. So go for it. If it's crap then quit.

Carl

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 26, 2006
I need a job too. But im really shy in person, and i dont like talking to people. I dunno why it's just the way i am.

I'm considering getting a weekend job at Asda's or Tesco's or somewhere aswell. I wouldn't say the wages would be too much higher than what you were already on, but you would probably have to work a lot more hours.

And like SnakeDevil says: If it's sh*t, you can always quit.

NinjaFridge

Superior Member
Sep 11, 2007
Just because you get you're driving license doesn't mean you need to get a car. Wait a while before you buy one. I'll be 18 in June and i haven't even sent away for my provisional license yet.
As for insurance DO NOT, i repeat DO NOT get it under your own name. Get it under you parents. Provided they are decent drivers with no major accidents it will be much cheaper. This will mean that your car will be under their name but it is worth doing imo.
Diesel is cheaper btw.

Min. wage for a 16 year old is something like £3.50 per hour i think but im not sure. Do not let work get in the way of your studies/school work ever. People in my class have done this and it is affecting their work.

SessDMC

Forum Sage
Dec 13, 2004
Guess what, im on provisional and my insurance is only £600 a year, for a 1.2 corsa 1994 rust bucket.

Im soon to pass my test though :D

Feb 16, 2007
[QUOTE="Carl, post: 0]I need a job too. But im really shy in person, and i dont like talking to people. I dunno why it's just the way i am.
[/quote]
Trust me, you need to change this. The most important aspect in most jobs is communication; if you can't communicate effectively then you'll struggle in almost any profession. You need to start talking to people to build up your conversation skills or you'll regret it. Also don't be shy, you HAVE to be confident in yourself as well - don't let others put you down.
[QUOTE="Playstation4life, post: 0]Guess what, im on provisional and my insurance is only £600 a year, for a 1.2 corsa 1994 rust bucket.

Im soon to pass my test though :D[/quote]

I really want to apply for my provisional license but I really don't want to spend the money on it right now. (I'm saving up for a DS)

T

Tuffy_UK

Hi Guys!!

Working for Recruitment, i know of the best ways of getting a job!! It all depends on what you want to do in life!!! + also were you live... Check out your local council websites for their current Job Vacancies.

Scotracer

Master Poster
Sep 8, 2006
McDonalds is always looking :lol:

Supermarkets tend to be more unsociable hours but the pay can be pretty **** good. You may get paid over £5/hour but at your age there's a chance they'll pay you next-to-nothing. I wouldn't work in a Supermarket, to be honest. Small retail is where it's at.