Just picked up IL-2 Sturmovik

rblanshard

Superior Member
Apr 30, 2008
Dallas
Great Game! I've finished the training missions and the first campaign mission, and let me say: outstanding flight-simulator

And I mean simulator. Through training you're playing in "arcade" mode - easier flight dynamics, aiming help among other aids. In training, you can unlock "realistic" mode, and let me tell you, it's a challenge.

Don't think HAWX-type of flight-sim, this is entirely different.

Going back to my PC days, I always preferred the WW2 flight sims over the modern flight sims. And this one fully captures the feel of WW2 fighters (having never flown one, but still)

Other games - HAWX and Ace Combat - have always felt simplistic. Pull the stick and the plane turns. Get a positive lock on an enemy and pull the trigger and you have a 90% chance of hitting your intended target. And it always felt cheap to me. Unlimited missiles? Ok, I'll just go in and blast away.

With the WW2 combat/flight sims, you have to take into consideration so many other factors. Limited ammo, limited flight characteristics, historical environments...I could go on.

This is an outstanding game, and I've only played the training missions and one campaign mission. The graphics are a little choppy when you shoot down an HE-111, but overall, it's a beautiful game. I love the feeling of flying around and checking out the Cliffs of Dover and the surrounding English countryside. Can't wait to unlock other environments.

If you guys like flight-sims, you need to get this game.

-Deadpool-

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 7, 2007
Cheers rblanshard :D

I grabbed the demo just last night actually and gave it a quick throw.

Very impressed - when I saw 'realistic' mode unlock after the Tutorial missions, I was quite surprised :lol: Already found it pretty tough in the Tutes.

Seems really good so might consider this down the track a bit, probably over the holidays so I have more time for it. Feels like a proper flight sim - and probably really deserving of an actual flight stick peripheral too.

ColinZeal

Apprentice
Dec 20, 2006
AGREE! I loved the demo and travelled two hours yesterday just to get my hands on this game when it suddenly turned up in Sweden. Fantastic game. I ran through the english campaign and i´m looking forward to the rest.

Noxia

Forum Sage
Dec 21, 2008
England
I'm toying with it, much prefer WW2 flight sims to the the shooting dots in the sky autopilot modern ones. Last one I had was ageees ago, Microsoft Combat Flight sim.

Astonlover

Catch it and W*nk
Jan 26, 2008
I have had every IL-2 Game and cant wait to get my hands on this one. IL-2 Sturmovik Pacific is the best though.