Keeping my Pre-Order of Destiny

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
I was considering pulling my Destiny pre-order and waiting until Thanksgiving week, which I'll be taking off and playing a lot of games. (4th Thurs of Nov for those outside of US.)

What changed my mind? Dragon Age: Inquisition got pushed back to the week before Thanksgiving. Looks like that's what I'll be focusing my Thanksgiving week of gaming on.

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
Good for you Taz, hope you have a good thanksgiving, i'll be enjoying DAI around the same time.

Destiny-wise, i've decided i'll be getting it. Just need to deicde if i'm going digital or physical. Can't see it being one for a trade-in at any reasonable value when i might decide to sell it, so prob going for digital version. Digital Guardian edition to be precise.

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
[QUOTE="MajorCynik_, post: 6362720]Good for you Taz, hope you have a good thanksgiving, i'll be enjoying DAI around the same time.

Destiny-wise, i've decided i'll be getting it. Just need to deicde if i'm going digital or physical. Can't see it being one for a trade-in at any reasonable value when i might decide to sell it, so prob going for digital version. Digital Guardian edition to be precise.[/QUOTE]
Awesome! Glad to see you finally decided it was worth getting (I know you were sat on the fence for a bit)

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6362617]I've stopped pre ordering anything that isnt in limited supply. Just cant justify it.[/QUOTE]

Too be honest with you, I'd say I historically only pre-order a couple games of year. On the PS3 it was Uncharted 2-3, AC 2-3, FF XIV, MGS4, usually a couple during the holidays. Most others I wait until they're around 1/2 price. So far on the PS4 it's been AC:BF, BF4 (for my son - which technically I got for free), Watchdogs. And it looks like I'll be getting Destiny, Dragon Age: I, and AC: Unity. One over my typical pre-order.

Last edited:

CrazyShady

Superior Member
Dec 16, 2008
Toronto
During E3 I preordered absolutely everything since BestBuy and FutureShop offered $60 off when preordering 3 games. And I don't have to pay a dime for the games until they ship, and since they were games I was planning on getting anyways I save gloriously.

MGS, NHL, Destiny, Evolve, GTA V, Far Cry 4, AC: Unity, Uncharted 4, both Pokemon games, Witcher 3 all on preorder.

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
[QUOTE="CrazyShady, post: 6362745]During E3 I preordered absolutely everything since BestBuy and FutureShop offered $60 off when preordering 3 games.[/QUOTE]

THAT sounds like a deal! Lucky to get that sort of deal here in the UK. We're bled dry for every penny.

str8upnobs

Dedicated Member
Feb 25, 2007
www.highhenchmen.com
[QUOTE="Duffman, post: 6362750]For me the Beta more than confirmed this as a must buy for me, really can't wait till September for this game!![/QUOTE]

+1000. I had the alpha and didn't really get a chance to play it.But the Beta has me hooked! So much so that I pre-ordered the expansion pass on the store + pre-ordered the strategy guide from Gamestop today , and I rarely/never do anything like that for a game. Last game I can remember doing something similar for was Skyrim and Fallout:NV.

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
I'm really surprised that people still buy strategy guides these days. I think I bought 2 or 3 in my life, back in the early 90's.

Today if I really want the info then I turn to my friend 'Google'.

Yuuichi

Miqo'te Bard
Oct 25, 2009
[QUOTE="TAZ427, post: 6362780]I'm really surprised that people still buy strategy guides these days. I think I bought 2 or 3 in my life, back in the early 90's.

Today if I really want the info then I turn to my friend 'Google'.[/QUOTE]
It is a convenient,thing for,me,with games,like,Dragon age helps,out

on tap a talk on LG g2 and I suck at typing on phones so forgive my typo errors.

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
[QUOTE="TAZ427, post: 6362780]Today if I really want the info then I turn to my friend 'Google'.[/QUOTE]

Whilst i wouldn't call Google my friend anymore you're certainly right. Destiny Wiki has been running for some time already.

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Here Let Me Google That For You[/URL]' instead.

All kidding aside, I'm really surprised that with the mass availability of info on the web that there would be a paperback strategy guide for an online game. I figured most of the strategy guides were sold to people with poor to no internet, but who are still gamers.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
[QUOTE="TAZ427, post: 6362741]Too be honest with you, I'd say I historically only pre-order a couple games of year. On the PS3 it was Uncharted 2-3, AC 2-3, FF XIV, MGS4, usually a couple during the holidays. Most others I wait until they're around 1/2 price. So far on the PS4 it's been AC:BF, BF4 (for my son - which technically I got for free), Watchdogs. And it looks like I'll be getting Destiny, Dragon Age: I, and AC: Unity. One over my typical pre-order.[/QUOTE]

I feel that sooner or later I'd just be handing over money for a game actually didn't care that much about or not even bother to cancel.

I'm contemplating that german steelbook edition of The Last of Us though!

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Well for the Holiday releases I've never felt like I threw my money away on a pre-order. The only pre-order I've done that I felt disappointed in, was FF XIV. That said, I did enjoy what I played and I put 50hrs in the game. So while I was disappointed with the lack of openworldness, I still enjoyed myself and had a great time.

There are plenty of other games that I've purchased near release for full price but not as pre-orders and toss to the side after a few hours of play. Including games that were extremly highly rated. A good example was GTA4. I just didn't get into it, and after some frustrating fighting and driving, I tossed it in the pile of never to be played again.

In the past I've only pre-ordered from series that I've been seriously invested in (Uncharted, AC, MGS, FF) this is the first game, that it's the first in a series, that I've pre-ordered, but I had only done so to get the beta, but the Beta has shown enough, and been fun enough to put it in a guaranty buy list for me. But I was still going to wait until Dragon Age slipped.

str8upnobs

Dedicated Member
Feb 25, 2007
www.highhenchmen.com
Here Let Me Google That For You[/URL]' instead.

All kidding aside, I'm really surprised that with the mass availability of info on the web that there would be a paperback strategy guide for an online game. I figured most of the strategy guides were sold to people with poor to no internet, but who are still gamers.
Oh , that's correct generally I do use the almighty Google on the interwebz to get my info. That speaks volumes of this game and how much I'm looking forward to it now. The only other game I specifically recall pre ordering a LE copy of a strat guide for was Skyrim. It was soooooo in depth that I actually read it for leisure more so than I did from needing info/being stuck. A game like that (or hopefully Destiny) is deep enough with lore/loot/locations etc. , that I decided to pull the trigger. + I had some discounts from Gstop on my Power Up rewards account , so no biggie. Prior to Skyrim/Fallout (maybe , can't remember) , FF series is only other I can ever remember buying the guides for , but that was before our friend Google hit the big time.

EHY893

Elite Guru
Jun 4, 2008
[QUOTE="MajorCynik_, post: 6362720]Good for you Taz, hope you have a good thanksgiving, i'll be enjoying DAI around the same time.

Destiny-wise, i've decided i'll be getting it. Just need to deicde if i'm going digital or physical. Can't see it being one for a trade-in at any reasonable value when i might decide to sell it, so prob going for digital version. Digital Guardian edition to be precise.[/QUOTE]

I know you posted this 3 weeks ago, but I've also recently decided I'm getting it for sure. I want to make Destiny my first ever PS4 digital full game purchase. I noticed that the price on the PSN store is kinda ridiculous though so I'm deciding on whether I'll go through with that or just buy the retail.