Killcams, meh.

proxi

Superior Member
Feb 22, 2009
www.sweatybastardsmusic.com
I despise killcams, I think they're a massive flaw in any FPS. Whether you're a dasher or a camper, having people spot your path, hideout etc after you've killed them, is awful, makes for a repetitive match with the same guy you killed spawning nearby and gaining vengeance within 4, 5 seconds. Lead, up your rear.

I like playing on Hardcore, however there's more elements I like about Core so I play it more often. What's people's thoughts, do you appreciate these things or plain hate them?

Replacing killcams as default by including a Slot 1 perk, "Afterlife", which lets you see them, could be a possible leveller. Especially with the amount of Little Johnny's running round on Marathon looking for Hubba Bubba.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
Killcam is what I never liked about COD2 which is where it was first introduced into the COD games. I have been saying it is crap and not needed ever since but it is what thousands of PC gamers played at the time and so got used to it and it eventually came the norm sadly enough.
Is it not possible to play wioth out killcam on a regular server?

Jul 9, 2008
[QUOTE="proxi, post: 5109402]I despise killcams, I think they're a massive flaw in any FPS. Whether you're a dasher or a camper, having people spot your path, hideout etc after you've killed them, is awful, makes for a repetitive match with the same guy you killed spawning nearby and gaining vengeance within 4, 5 seconds. Lead, up your rear.

I like playing on Hardcore, however there's more elements I like about Core so I play it more often. What's people's thoughts, do you appreciate these things or plain hate them?

Replacing killcams as default by including a Slot 1 perk, "Afterlife", which lets you see them, could be a possible leveller. Especially with the amount of Little Johnny's running round on Marathon looking for Hubba Bubba.[/QUOTE]

thats why they are there so people can kill campers like you. And rule 1 never use the same route if the guy kknows you are going to take it

Indigo Virus

Superior Member
Feb 2, 2009
Berkshire UK
I for one am glad for killcam's.
When I run around like a muppet on crack and get killed ,It's my own fault for not being careful.
But when I'm being careful slow moving and watching corners and get dispatched randomly, I will watch the killcam to figure out what the hell went wrong.

Sometimes I witness getting killed by some guy literally sitting in a corner and just using the right stick to check both doors.
That kill cam let's me know where the little git is so I can lay my vengance upon thee.

But the OP mentiond about "spotting your path" .
When I run n' gun I do have a very basic path wich is to stay on the outside.
But I can quite happily and easily switch up routes because I know the person could be watching the killcam I just gave him.

I think killcam's are a good thing.

iiCoNiKsZ

Apprentice
Jul 6, 2010
Thats why when I camp I have different places to go after I killed the same person 2-3 times. For example in Derail, I stay in the factory in the back right of the map. First I prone at the highest level after breaking the window then I go down level and go on the window sill below that. That way, the killcam is useless to the victim.

Sep 16, 2008
i hate hardcore, 15 seconds to respawn when you die and whats more annoying is when you spawn into a crap place and you die straight away. Frustrating.

proxi

Superior Member
Feb 22, 2009
[QUOTE="Indigo Virus, post: 5109428]That kill cam let's me know where the little git is so I can lay my vengance upon thee.[/QUOTE]
Some fair points in your post man, however that line is exactly why I dislike them. I'd like to sneak through a murky area and pick off someone with a silenced weapon, knowing they didn't see me coming and then they respawn having to be extra careful. The effort of timing the run, aiming the shot well etc is then far more rewarding as it was done without their knowledge and they don't get the gift of seeing how it was done and where I may have headed.

Killcams lower the talent needed to get even. It's like getting into first place on Mario Kart and getting the blue shell up your rear within seconds as always.
[QUOTE="iiCoNiKsZ, post: 5109568]Thats why when I camp I have different places to go after I killed the same person 2-3 times. For example in Derail, I stay in the factory in the back right of the map. First I prone at the highest level after breaking the window then I go down level and go on the window sill below that. That way, the killcam is useless to the victim.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I usually have 3-5 spots on each map that I nip to when using my sniping class. But even when I've done one kill there's high probability the victim will respawn and noob-tube the general area of where I am, getting lucky. Not always, but it happens a lot especially with the crap spawning. As with many cases in MW2, a feature is made worse by the spawning.

I try to leave the scope on for as long as possible around the time of the kill to disguise my location, however it can't always be done. MLC'ers seem to require 3 shots to kill with a Barrett at times, as they fly around the map, giving away the position more. And then the bullets fired means it sometimes causing an automatic reload, losing the scope.
[QUOTE="TheDarkKnight, post: 5109602]i hate hardcore, 15 seconds to respawn when you die and whats more annoying is when you spawn into a crap place and you die straight away. Frustrating.[/QUOTE]
Yeah that's one of my pet hates in hardcore. Waiting for the inevitable bad spawn.

PsychoMantis

Mr. Ten-A-Key!
Nov 20, 2005
If you take the same route or camp in the same place all the time killcam or not you deserve to get owned. This is why its important to move around not just to stop from getting killed but because of the killcam too. If you move from spot to spot they wont kill you but if you hideout or camp in the same area then its your fault. If you take the same route leading up to the areas where you camp then its your fault as well.

proxi

Superior Member
Feb 22, 2009
[QUOTE="PsychoMantis, post: 5109900]If you take the same route or camp in the same place all the time killcam or not you deserve to get owned. This is why its important to move around not just to stop from getting killed but because of the killcam too. If you move from spot to spot they wont kill you but if you hideout or camp in the same area then its your fault. If you take the same route leading up to the areas where you camp then its your fault as well.[/QUOTE]
Agreed on the fact doing the same thing all the time will get you killed more. Hence why I'm 47'ing it up round the map. Killcams coupled with the poor spawning system however means I can be sometimes (and a blumming lot recently) 4, 5 seconds into my voyage away from where I shot someone, and they use their pootube to fire around that area, or they'll spawn outside the building I'll be leaving and there we have it, an incredibly talentless act of revenge.

The amount of times I snipe someone from way across the map only to have them spawn in a bush 20 yards away. Killcam knowledge of where I was and they'll catch me or tube me whilst I'm on the move, reloading etc. I'm constantly counting seconds every time I kill anyone now, and much more often now only get to 5 before that guy has a shot at vengeance handed to him on a plate.

Anubis79

Superior Member
Jul 6, 2008
Well this is a new, stupid thing to whine about. Do you honestly think people really need the killcam to know what's going on. If you're relying on it to help you get even, they you just plain suck at this game. And if you blame it for you getting killed, then you're just not as good as you think. I skip them 99% of the time because I know exactly what happened...I wasn't paying attention and got tagged on my blind side. It's more the fault of stupid spawns than anything, but you can't change it.

Indigo Virus

Superior Member
Feb 2, 2009
Berkshire UK
[QUOTE="proxi, post: 5109636]Some fair points in your post man, however that line is exactly why I dislike them. I'd like to sneak through a murky area and pick off someone with a silenced weapon, knowing they didn't see me coming and then they respawn having to be extra careful. The effort of timing the run, aiming the shot well etc is then far more rewarding as it was done without their knowledge and they don't get the gift of seeing how it was done and where I may have headed.

Killcams lower the talent needed to get even. It's like getting into first place on Mario Kart and getting the blue shell up your rear within seconds as always.
Sneaking round map's is all good and fun but the problem is now there is more and more M/L runners.
So when your playing with a more tactical style it usually get's wasted on someone running around like a muppet.

Killcams don't really lower the talent to get even if you use them to figure out what went wrong.
If anything it will make you a better player.
Knowing people see how you do thing's makes you switch up styles of play on the fly.

Don't get me started on the blue shells!.
Loads of bananas FTW!!!!!

*goo

Elite Guru
Aug 2, 2008
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 5109415]Killcam is what I never liked about COD2 which is where it was first introduced into the COD games. I have been saying it is crap and not needed ever since but it is what thousands of PC gamers played at the time and so got used to it and it eventually came the norm sadly enough.
Is it not possible to play wioth out killcam on a regular server?[/QUOTE]

Neither here nor there but just thought I'd point out that the Killcam has been around since the first Call of Duty game. It was definitely in Call of Duty: United Offensive which was an expansion pack.

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
I like killcams. Yes they give your position away but I always wanted to know how the hell I got killed.