Kojima thinking about making Metal Gear Solid 5

TDbank24

Master Guru
Jul 25, 2008
Boston, MA
Today during a stage show, Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima briefly mentioned MGS5. "Maybe, I'll do 5," said the game designer. Kojima then joked that he had to quit working at Konami. Kojima was being glib, and this isn't officially confirmation of a new Metal Gear Solid (or that certainly not that he is leaving Konami) by any means. He was just being lighthearted.

This isn't the first we've heard of MGS5. Moreover, it has previously been revealed that Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker was intended to be MGS5. Also, this isn't the first time he's mentioned MGS5 — he was thinking about it in May 2008.
Time after time it seems like Kojima has been vocal about moving on. While finishing up Metal Gear Solid 4, Kojima repeatedly said he was moving on from the series and hoped that younger members of his staff could take the reigns.

At last year's TGS, Kojima told Kotaku, "If you write that 'Kojima-san doesn't have to make Metal Gear any more' every day on Kotaku, and write to the CEO of Konami and tell him that, then it might be easier for me to make non-Metal Gear games."
We have been remiss. Apologies. Kojima-san doesn't have to make Metal Gear anymore. He can make Snatcher or Zone of the Enders or anything else.

As we previously pointed out, it's not like the Metal Gear games Kojima is making are bad or anything. On the contrary. However, surely, the man has other stories he'd like to tell, other worlds he'd like to explore.
http://kotaku.com/5641618/hideo-kojima-once-again-ponders-metal-gear-solid-5

I'm all for Metal Gear Solid 5. Make it happen. If not, the series ended on a great note.

TDbank24

Master Guru
Jul 25, 2008
Boston, MA
A remake of the first Metal Gear Solid would be awesome. I'd leave the 2nd and 3rd game alone as they're fine the way they are. Not to say the original MGS needs a remake but to me that would be the ideal one to remaster.

Bio

Veteran
Aug 4, 2007
Battlefield
Kojima just really, really likes his precious Metal Gear. If I were him I'd talk about it all the time, too. Whether he actually does anything is another situation entirely. People shouldn't look into his jokes so much.

I know what he should do, though: put out ZOE3.

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
We all know we already got MGS5 on the PSP :p Nah I am all for whatever he does also, be it the MGS5, the MGS: PW PS3 port or whatever else his metal gear mind can come up with.

Mael Duin

Elite Sage
Sep 12, 2005
Let Metal Gear be in peace for some time. Kojima should do some other games, like Zone of the Enders 3 or totally new IP.

spyrde

Master Guru
Feb 18, 2009
Finland
Lol srsly. First and iPhone game, then a PSP game, now were gonna get a boring hack & slash game and now this. Seriously stop the franchise milking and move on.

Chaos2313

Apprentice
Jul 25, 2008
[QUOTE="TDbank24, post: 5194319]A remake of the first Metal Gear Solid would be awesome. I'd leave the 2nd and 3rd game alone as they're fine the way they are. Not to say the original MGS needs a remake but to me that would be the ideal one to remaster.[/QUOTE]

mgs2 can stay the way it is but mgs3 needs mgs4 gameplay mechanics <- that for me would result in being the best metal gear ever...

Xelis

Elite Sage
Jan 1, 2008
[QUOTE="TDbank24, post: 5194319]A remake of the first Metal Gear Solid would be awesome. I'd leave the 2nd and 3rd game alone as they're fine the way they are. Not to say the original MGS needs a remake but to me that would be the ideal one to remaster.[/QUOTE]
They have, it's called Twin Snakes.

Aug 22, 2007
MGS1 remake or the msx version of metal gear2 solid snake. MGS5 can come, i really want it. but, if kojima san can make a prequeal of the max story. that would be great snake as a young soldier again. but, seriously i wanna see the whole MGS1 in ps3 graphics before anything ewlse, i dont see how hard it would be to change the game.. if you played twin snakes, that was a great game, they really made snake into an action hero. :) just wanna see MGS1 made to ps3 thats all!

Forcedme

Super Elite
Oct 19, 2007
Awesome! I can't wait for the plotline to be stretched even further than it already has into one of the most nonsensical taut lines of incoherency and mediocre exposition intertwined with clunky controls and poor A.I. and bad dialogue and B-movie action sequences and set-pieces thrown in "for the fans" in place of new ideas and creativity and for Kojima to once more return to Metal Gear while saying he needs to move on so that he once again plays with his audience and tricks them into thinking he's a perfectionist when in fact he's just an indecisive little girl who likes the attention he receives when saying such things before moving onto the next MGS game and saying, "Ah, yes, THIS will be the last one!" as he said with MGS2, and MGS3, and MGS4, and perhaps PeaceWalker (I stopped watching by this point and skipped the cutscene) and will likely say it again once the inevitable MGS5 appears, and what will this one be about? Oh, some crap about Big Boss thrown in to shed even MORE light on a story that was supposed to end however many chapters ago but continues to expand for the sake of Kojima's ego and money and fans and oh my God and

Paragraph 2 Installing... 25%... don't smoke.

S

Stig

Yeah, I really want him to STFU about this already. People just don't seem to know when to just walk away. If he REALLY is so creatively stifled that he can't create a new IP, then fine, but don't always say that this will be the last one because we all know damn well that it won't.

LegendaryAim

Master Poster
Jan 6, 2008
Don't do it unless it's a PS3 exclusive. Why? MGS4 is one of the best games of all time and the reason being they were able to focus all of their attention on the strengths of one console instead of the weakness of the other

EDIT: I also would rather see a remake of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 or MGS1, before a new MGS5

Bio

Veteran
Aug 4, 2007
Battlefield
[QUOTE="Boogie Woogie, post: 5194773]A Metal Gear Solid prequel would work.[/QUOTE]

MGS3 pretty much did that. Then it went on and "sequelled" itself (MGS: Portable Ops, then MGS: Peace Walker) until the origin story caught up with what used to be the first canonical game (Metal Gear 1).

I suppose they could make yet another game that adds more story before the events of Metal Gear 1 begin...or they could even remake MG1 and MG2 themselves (into one game, perhaps), but I dunno...

Last edited:

Soulless

Apprentice
Jun 20, 2007
This is what has to happen:

-A remake of MGS1 for PS3.
-Ports of MGS2 and MGS3 for PS3.
-Simplified remakes of MG1 and MG2 for PS3, something like that new Tomb Raider game.

-All of the above bundled in a collection package so i can play all games with decent graphics on my PS3 system without any hassle.

While the guys at Konami are busy doing this, Kojima will spend his time on the first of a series of games in the "Metal Gear Chronicles" franchise where we will play through and follow the history and significant events of diffrent characters from the games.

First game: MGC: Revolver Ocelot

Im laying down the law here, konami/kojima must follow!

rbrtchng

Forum Guru
Aug 25, 2006
[QUOTE="Bio, post: 5194322]Kojima just really, really likes his precious Metal Gear. If I were him I'd talk about it all the time, too. Whether he actually does anything is another situation entirely. People shouldn't look into his jokes so much.

I know what he should do, though: put out ZOE3.[/QUOTE]

For the love of god, YES.

Lurker00

Apprentice
Dec 19, 2009
Maybe I'm on my own here but Metal Gear is a raped franchise at this point. The proof is in the pudding, with the whole grey fox back story being changed in one of the psp games.

Aug 27, 2008
Another MGS?

For the love of God, MGS is/was a great franchise but let it end and stop milking the franchise. There's already MGR.

Work on something else, Zone of Enders or another IP.

MGSfan

Dedicated Member
Jun 24, 2005
I can understand Kojima havin a hard time leaving MGS behind, but the series ended on a great note with the fourth, it's a highly respected franchise so please kojima don't even think about a fifth :D