Konami confirms. Mobile is now their "main platform"

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
"We will pursue mobile games aggressively," says Konami's new CEO Hayakawa in an interview with Nikkei Trendy Net.

"Our main platform will be mobiles. Following the pay-as-you-play model of games like Power pro and Winning Eleven with additional content, our games must move from selling things like "items" to selling things like "features."

"We saw with these games that even people who buy physical games are motivated to buy extra content. The success of Power pro especially has motivated us to actively push more of our popular series onto mobile than ever before."

"Gaming has spread to a number of platforms, but at the end of the day, the platform that is always closest to us, is mobile. Mobile is where the future of gaming lies."

"We hope that our overseas games such as MGSV and Winning Eleven continue to do well, but we are always thinking about how to push our franchises onto mobile there too."

"With multiplatform games, there's really no point in dividing the market into categories anymore. Mobiles will take on the new role of linking the general public to the gaming world."

Grabbed this off neogaf. It was translated from this link (Japanese):

http://jin115.com/archives/52080348.html

Lebowski

Master Sage
Nov 29, 2007
Bowling

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....they think that....haha....the candy crush business plan will work....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...and that mobile gaming is the future...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I can't stop laughing! OMFG Konami y arnt u comedians? AAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHHAAAAAA

Last edited:

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
I don't see any Japanese success on mobile market, how come they fell this much is out of our league. It is just sad to read those lines.

KungMartin90

Dedicated Member
Sep 6, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
I understand what they mean though. They mean it's the future popularity-wise.

But it's good to see they realize the mistake they made. They have 0 future in the real gaming industry.

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6445508]The deterioration of Japan continues. They still haven't fixed the issues with PES 205 which launched 7 months ago.[/QUOTE]

so why is all of Japan part of Konami's mess?

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6445509]so why is all of Japan part of Konami's mess?[/QUOTE]

Its not, but the market there is shrinking. Its been happening for years.

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="PS4freak, post: 6445514]I've said it before but it'll all be over soon Konami. Mobile gaming will put you out of your misery.[/QUOTE]

only thing mobile gaming is good for is when I need something to do while I take a crap.

So konami wants to make shit games (pun intended). Well.....that stinks....and so does shit.

thus.....konami=shit.

thus....logic and shit.

Last edited:

Mike_Harradence

PSU U.K. Executive Editor and Podcast Host
Jun 24, 2007
Reading, UK
www.psu.com
I'd laugh if this wasn't so tragic. Konami are deluded if they think the future of gaming is mobile; PC and consoles have proven the last few years this isn' the case. PS4 has proven this isn't the case.

Seriously, I think that as so many of their talented developers have jumped ship (or were pushed), they've run out of the bodies who can make those 'AAA' titles, so their only option is to take the mobile route.

It's quite sad considering this once mighty company was pumping out some truly brilliant games in Metal Gear, Castlevania, ZoE, Silent Hill and others.

The Phantom Pain is their swansong.

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK
Well let's just hope that The Phantom Pain doesn't have any bugs because otherwise you won't be seeing any patches.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
This whole thing has been the best promotion campaign in the History of Promotional Campaigns, and all this nut busting is really tearing me up. :sad:

(realization: this is like Squeenix - Fall of an Empire all over again)

Disclaimer: BS. BS everywhere.

Jun 4, 2007
JP doesn't make shit that I want to play nowadays. Konami can fuck all the way off. Not even the tip. And Capcom has been fucking up for just about 10 years. I'm not into soul/blood borne games but I can see why group of gamers like them. Platinum games don't make anything that interest me. Solid combat wasted on bullshit themed games. Sony JP is damn between konami and capcom. Ten years to get a fucking title out?

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
I can't bear the thought of the crap they are going to do with MGS in the shovel-ware mobile gaming market.

Solid Snake: Whack-A-Mole Edition!