Latest Edge preview of Killzone 2.

Lord Arklon

Forum Elder
Sep 5, 2006
http://www.edge-online.com/magazine/weighing-heft-killzone-2

It’s not ugly so much as bleakly unadventurous: Killzone 2’s world is an elision of space marine cliché and desaturated World War II grit, lacking Halo’s flamboyance, Gears Of War’s steroidal absurdity or Call Of Duty’s moral consternation. But if Killzone 2’s setting and aesthetic initially seems like something only its mother could love, then actually playing it throws up quite a different point of view.

Somehow, the lens through which Guerrilla permits you to view this fascist-flavoured world of crumbling concrete performs a spectacularly transformative act. The subtle combination of exactingly realized visual effects – grainy filters and depth-offield blurring – along with the sense of weight and momentum suggested by your lumbering movement, roots you firmly in this world. Suddenly a greying, bullet-scarred warehouse, even one scattered with the hoary tradition of explosive barrels, is rendered fresh. From the trailers, Killzone 2 may seem like a muesli made of other games’ offcuts, but it feels quite another thing entirely: solid, heavy, tactile. Your movements – building up to a sprint, drawing a bead on an enemy, switching a weapon or tossing a grenade – are all paced to create a sense of heft and tension.
The sequence we play is an unremarkable succession of tightly controlled urban battles, moving from narrow streets into warehouses and across gantries. There are the staple set pieces whose over-familiarity voids any importance the game attempts to place upon them – protecting a colleague as he tries to open a door; fending off an ambush upon a slow moving caravan; racing to protect survivors of a downed troop transport.
Nonetheless, from moment to moment, the palpable chunkiness of the environments and the tense, meaty combat keeps the grips of our DualShock sweaty. We see and do little in the way of flanking – the environments rarely seem to allow it, although use of cover is vital. Once, we spot a Helghan soldier retreat from his sniping position when under heavy fire, but, most of the time, enemies exhibit little discretion.

It raises something of a question over the AI’s competence in online play, where developers say bots will use all the tactics and tools a real player would. This isn’t a matter dispelled during our multiplayer session, which sees the Dutch dev team fill out the empty spaces. What is clear is that Guerrilla has built a truly formidable multiplayer experience – even when considered alongside the offering of other platforms. Structurally, it borrows from the best, with customisation options, ranking, matchmaking and more (see ‘Halo, old buddy’) while adding its own ideas: unlocking new game modes of increasing complexity as you play more, and introducing a gametype which randomly gives out varying objectives in succession, keeping players wary of the need to suddenly change tactics.
Our time with the multiplayer is too short to develop an appreciation for the balance of the six classes, let alone the ability to mix and match their various attributes. Nonetheless, we leave believing that underneath Killzone 2’s po-faced showdown between gung-ho marines and space Nazis there is a deftly crafted shooter, expertly employing visual effects to conjure a world that is really tangible – a much weightier affair than its tawdry premise would suggest.
There isn't too much substance in this one...one thing I do want to point out is that I am a bit disappointed in how non-descript they are about their negatives. The things they touch on are very vague, and never really fleshed out at all. No examples...nothing.

As far as the positives go, that's about the most detailed description I've seen on the game's manner in which it conveys weight, but other than that, there isn't much else there either.

They even say their time with the multiplayer was a tad too short to develop any sort of impression...which makes me wonder why they even bothered to mention it.

Overall, not a particularly useful preview in my eyes, however I'm sure someone will gt something out of it. The negatives aren't descriptive enough to highlight anything specific that the devs could consider so they can improve the game, and the positives are a tad too focused on what's essentially an aesthetic area.

RedDragon7

Elite Sage
Jan 29, 2007
The title seems to be my favorite part so far... ;)

However first paragraph has a couple little pointers which are nice.

Overall I agree Lord Arklon. Really not much here and they admit it which is sort of odd.

Bigdoggy

Master Guru
Jan 24, 2008
Good god, why did they even bother writing the review? it's almost seems like they never played it. Now I am not defending this game by no means but that is what I got out of it.

Lord Arklon

Forum Elder
Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="Bigdoggy, post: 0]Good god, why did they even bother writing the review? it's almost seems like they never played it. Now I am not defending this game by no means but that is what I got out of it.[/quote]
Likewise. I forgot to mention this earlier, but I'm particularly puzzled about why they neglected to mention the sound quality of the game.

From the several recent Beta vids I've seen, the sound quality is superb. I really like the echo that the gunshots seem to exhibit, as opposed to the stifled, canned noise I hear in other games. Sounds like an aural delight to me, and that is one area that seems pretty apparent that there has been a substantial improvement IMO.

Lord Arklon

Forum Elder
Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="nelsonroyale, post: 0]that seemed a pretty biased preview...personally I think the overall art in KZ2 is superior to halo[/quote]
*yawn* I've heard enough people sing this tune before...this time I don't even get a pretentious explanation.

Seems that with a lot of people, everything that isn't overwhelmingly positive is biased.

Hey, I don't agree with the preview either, but open your eyes. Not all negativity is trolling.

Sep 29, 2008
Please, the bias thing has to go. Anyway I thought they were plenty descriptive given how little the article was, perhaps they were given a word limit, though it wasn't much of a preview.

Jun 29, 2006
[QUOTE="Lord Arklon, post: 0]*yawn* I've heard enough people sing this tune before...this time I don't even get a pretentious explanation.

Seems that with a lot of people, everything that isn't overwhelmingly positive is biased.

Hey, I don't agree with the preview either, but open your eyes. Not all negativity is trolling.[/quote]

actually no...I have read through edge now and then for many years....and they are generally solid, but they have always had some cracks in there objectivity...notice I never said they were biased against ps3 at all...They just have a very strong love of halo in every aspect, yet come down much more critically on other fps....they have been ragging on this one from day one...

Honestly, edge is has some very good features, but anyone who thinks they are more subjective than most other mags, perhaps needs to retune their own critical faculty...

Read the above, its a pretty bizarre way to write a preview... bias was perhaps the wrong word, but its obvious there is a predisposition in the previewer. Holding edge up as a paragon is rather naive though

Admartian

Wibbly Wobbly
Nov 28, 2006
New Zealand
[QUOTE="Lord Arklon, post: 0]
Hey, I don't agree with the preview either, but open your eyes. Not all negativity is trolling.[/quote]

Well, technically making comments/points and not backing up them up could be considered as trolling. ;)

I mean, you wouldn't get away with this in an essay. No matter what level (school or uni)!

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
[QUOTE="nelsonroyale, post: 0]actually no...I have read through edge now and then for many years....and they are generally solid, but they have always had some cracks in there objectivity...notice I never said they were biased against ps3 at all...They just have a very strong love of halo in every aspect, yet come down much more critically on other fps....they have been ragging on this one from day one...

Honestly, edge is has some very good features, but anyone who thinks they are more subjective than most other mags, perhaps needs to retune their own critical faculty...

Read the above, its a pretty bizarre way to write a preview... bias was perhaps the wrong word, but its obvious there is a predisposition in the previewer. Holding edge up as a paragon is rather naive though[/quote]

I admit it is odd but people shoulde really see this without blinders on. This guy compared Halo 3, Gears and Killzone 2. They are all sci fi shooters but al have different takes on the realism the flesh out each game. Halo 3 is almost cartoon like in every aspect, gears is super stylized, and Killzone 2 actually tries to keep all of the elements in their universe somewhat based in a feesable reality.

I mean its obvious to see where someone stands by hearing any comparisons they like to throw up.

Graham

like.no.other
Dec 3, 2005
Herein lies the pointless world of hype and previews. Gone are the days where you were literally just presented with details of a game weeks or even days before launch. You read the reviews, or just bought it, and you either liked it or you didn't. Now, people get so hyped up so far in advance that nothing but wholly positive press will do.

Ignore the betas. Ignore the previews. Wait for the game to release and then make your decision. Chances are, you'll be much happier about it.

Sep 29, 2008
[QUOTE="Staticneuron, post: 0]I admit it is odd but people shoulde really see this without blinders on. This guy compared Halo 3, Gears and Killzone 2. They are all sci fi shooters but al have different takes on the realism the flesh out each game. Halo 3 is almost cartoon like in every aspect, gears is super stylized, and Killzone 2 actually tries to keep all of the elements in their universe somewhat based in a feesable reality.

I mean its obvious to see where someone stands by hearing any comparisons they like to throw up.[/quote]

The writer compared it to all the games that it is most similar to, it has the game mechanics of Halo, the dark art style of gears of war, and the realism of COD4, if you don't think it's right to compare KZ2 to those then I suggest you don't read any of the reviews when the game launches lol.

Nunalho

Tekken Elder
Nov 13, 2005
lacking Halo’s flamboyance, Gears Of War’s steroidal absurdity or Call Of Duty’s moral consternation.

Lol. Its all said there.
Edge really hates the game, all their previews have been biased.

Sep 29, 2008
[QUOTE="Nunalho, post: 0][/b]Lol. Its all said there.
Edge really hates the game, all their previews have been biased.[/quote]

Of course you ignore the fact that 85 percent of the article was positive, honestly someone states something they don't like about the game and compares it to the titles it is competing with and they are biased? I must have missed a memo somewhere.

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
[QUOTE="Blackout'08, post: 0]The writer compared it to all the games that it is most similar to, it has the game mechanics of Halo, the dark art style of gears of war, and the realism of COD4, if you don't think it's right to compare KZ2 to those then I suggest you don't read any of the reviews when the game launches lol.[/quote]

Ummm kay lets try this again. I called his comparison absurd based on my reading comprehension.

the game mechanics of Halo = Halo’s flamboyance?
the dark art style of gears of war = Gears Of War’s steroidal absurdity?
and the realism of COD4 = Call Of Duty’s moral consternation?

I am going to assume that a decent amount of reviewers at least have a degree and knows how to convey themselves better.

Other than this game being a FPS how is the gameplay similar to Halo 3? The grandoise gothic designs of gears look like the gritty block designs of Killzone 2? And the moral "consternation" of COD is displayed in killzone?

No. I am not calling this guy biased, just an idiot. Because he, in his own words, compared elements of these games that aren't remotely similar.

I doubt that he was using the words flamboyant to describe the gameplay, steroidal absurdity to describe dark art style nor moral consternation to describe realism in the game. What's scarier than his inane comparisons is the sheer fact that you derived your own meanings from the nonsense he laid down there.

T

TwentyThree

ive never trusted Edge with an exclusive ps3 game review, cause they always seem to some how compare it to halo, gears, or other 360 exclusives...
why cant they just play the game and offer an opinion without comparing it to the opposing side?

RedDragon7

Elite Sage
Jan 29, 2007
[QUOTE="Nunalho, post: 0][/B]Lol. Its all said there.
Edge really hates the game, all their previews have been biased.[/quote]Am I the only one who thought that was a good thing? :lol:

Dec 20, 2006
In order to make up for lack of concrete substance one should always go the route of convoluted, contrived heap of adjectives and exaggerations to attempt to sound intellectual and informed.

This follows the formula to a tee. **** Edge.

Jul 1, 2008
[QUOTE="Graham, post: 0]Herein lies the pointless world of hype and previews. Gone are the days where you were literally just presented with details of a game weeks or even days before launch. You read the reviews, or just bought it, and you either liked it or you didn't. Now, people get so hyped up so far in advance that nothing but wholly positive press will do.

Ignore the betas. Ignore the previews. Wait for the game to release and then make your decision. Chances are, you'll be much happier about it.[/quote]

I couldnt agree more
All this stuff hurts the success of a game more than it helps

But you cant beat curiosity...

Curiosity killed the cat and in this case, gamers' souls

Jun 29, 2008
[QUOTE="Graham, post: 0]Herein lies the pointless world of hype and previews. Gone are the days where you were literally just presented with details of a game weeks or even days before launch. You read the reviews, or just bought it, and you either liked it or you didn't. Now, people get so hyped up so far in advance that nothing but wholly positive press will do.

Ignore the betas. Ignore the previews. Wait for the game to release and then make your decision. Chances are, you'll be much happier about it.[/quote]

HIGH FIVE. +rep to you my buddy. But the internet just makes it so much easier to get the word out on video games these days, it's almost impossible NOT to hear about it. I wish it was like the old days, where almost EVERY game was awesome because it wasn't backed up a with ridiculous amount of hype, and you expected it to be either what you thought it would be using your imagination instead of screen shots and previews all the freakin time. Then when it comes out, you are curious so you look at the review, and if it didn't turn out alright, you can simply just shrug it off or rent it for yourself. These days, if a game turns out bad, a ****LOAD of controversy comes up and it always goes too ****ing far and ends up going into fanboy wars. ALWAYS. period.

Sep 29, 2008
[QUOTE="Staticneuron, post: 0]Ummm kay lets try this again. I called his comparison absurd based on my reading comprehension.

the game mechanics of Halo = Halo’s flamboyance?
the dark art style of gears of war = Gears Of War’s steroidal absurdity?
and the realism of COD4 = Call Of Duty’s moral consternation?

I am going to assume that a decent amount of reviewers at least have a degree and knows how to convey themselves better.

Other than this game being a FPS how is the gameplay similar to Halo 3? The grandoise gothic designs of gears look like the gritty block designs of Killzone 2? And the moral "consternation" of COD is displayed in killzone?

No. I am not calling this guy biased, just an idiot. Because he, in his own words, compared elements of these games that aren't remotely similar.

I doubt that he was using the words flamboyant to describe the gameplay, steroidal absurdity to describe dark art style nor moral consternation to describe realism in the game. What's scarier than his inane comparisons is the sheer fact that you derived your own meanings from the nonsense he laid down there.[/quote]

If you want to be nit picky about it go ahead, this was a positive preview, he basically said "if you are worried about killzone at first glance don't be", and yes it has heavy elements from all the games mentioned, a two weapon setup, while fighting against an oppressive alien force with space marines? check, A dark depressing post apocalyptic setting? check, intense firefights with explosions going off all around you, and scripted action moments check. It isn't an insult to say a game is borrowing elements from some of the best shooters out there, god knows Resistance did it, but it was still a fantastic game.

The trick is to put your on spin on the borrowed parts which Guerilla Games have done quite nicely, the point being, if there is already an existing formula that is doing what you want to achieve, use it.