Little too late? Vita just got abit more powerful...

GazzaGSi

Elite Guru
May 9, 2007
PlayStation Vita firmware update v3.50*seemed like a bit of a non-event for Sony's handheld format, removing more features than it added. However, as part of a presentation at the Unite Tokyo 2015 event –*as spotted and translated by NeoGAF member Parakeetman*– the platform holder revealed that the new patch enables 30 per cent additional memory for usage with games.

What does this mean? Well, we're not engineers so we can't say for sure, but it sounds like the Japanese giant was reserving a portion of the platform's memory should it decide to implement new hardware intensive features in the future. By giving that power back to developers, it means that studios will now be able to push the system a little harder than before. Of course, they've got to actually make some new software first...
Shame this has only just happened. Remember reading a while back Criterion were struggling with memory issues with need for speed on the vita so toned the graphics and density of traffic back. Maybe that wouldn't have happened if this memory was available then and other devs may have took a punt on the Vita if they new there wouldn't be as many hardware restrictions as first thought.

Guessing this could have come from Near now that's not being utilised as first intended.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
I played Wolf Among Us last week, the game freezes so much, it is almost unplayable. All , yea all of the action scenes are dead, you lose without even you see the popping button.

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
Can't lie, I agree. I'd love to see games use that 30%..
AC Liberation, had quite some lags for me. Same for Killzone Mercenary, which I downloaded today over Playstation Plus.

Vaas

Apprentice
Apr 10, 2014
Belgium
[QUOTE="Shingo, post: 6437255]I played Wolf Among Us last week, the game freezes so much, it is almost unplayable. All , yea all of the action scenes are dead, you lose without even you see the popping button.[/QUOTE]

I played Telltale's The Walking Dead Season 1 on my Vita and the game lagged too often, it was very frustrating. It actually ruined the experience a bit. Good to know I shouldn't pick up The Wolf Among Us for PS Vita then, because I am already on the edge of buying that game. I was just thinking if I should get it for PS4 or PS Vita.

Can't remember experiencing lag with Killzone Mercenary though, Weazle. That's weird.

With this 30%, it would be nice if some apps would be able to run in the background. Like TuneIn, it always bugged me that you can't listen to music while playing a game.

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
Hahah that is so funny! Nice one Sony.

Anyone remember the PSP firmware update 3.5 that unlocked the CPU power from 222mhz to 333mhz to developers?

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
[QUOTE="Vaas, post: 6437298]Can't remember experiencing lag with Killzone Mercenary though, Weazle. That's weird. [/QUOTE]
That is weird, yeah.. It just feels laggy to me, I'd turn fast and if there's a little action going on the screen it feels like the game has some lags..

[QUOTE="MjW, post: 6437301]Hahah that is so funny! Nice one Sony.

Anyone remember the PSP firmware update 3.5 that unlocked the CPU power from 222mhz to 333mhz to developers?[/QUOTE]
They updated for that once? :lol:
I honestly hacked my PSP back then, changed it manually to 333 mhz in the menu you could get in.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
Power was never the problem with the Vita, the lack of games is!

Nice that they are trying to speed the system up because as it's been mentioned before games like TWD and TWAU run so bad on the Vita sometimes they are almost unplayable!

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="Fenix, post: 6437329]Now we just need bigger memory cards for not ridiculous prices and maybe Vita will be more popular over here.[/QUOTE]

I can't help but think that if Sony had gone with standard microSD cards then things would be much different right now.

Vichael

Superior Member
Feb 27, 2012
[QUOTE="Shingo, post: 6437255]I played Wolf Among Us last week, the game freezes so much, it is almost unplayable. All , yea all of the action scenes are dead, you lose without even you see the popping button.[/QUOTE]

I played both TWAU and TWD on Xbox 360 and they lagged really bad. Seems to be a common thing with Telltale.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="Vichael, post: 6437496]I played both TWAU and TWD on Xbox 360 and they lagged really bad. Seems to be a common thing with Telltale.[/QUOTE]

Thank god the PS4 frame rates for them are much improved, was so nice playing TWD without getting killed because the system couldn't keep up :lol:

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
[QUOTE="Vichael, post: 6437496]I played both TWAU and TWD on Xbox 360 and they lagged really bad. Seems to be a common thing with Telltale.[/QUOTE]

Don't know about 360 Vichael, but the vita version is the worst game I ever played on vita.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
I know the overpriced proprietary cards were the reason I never bought one. Finally about a year ago I bought on used, but never really used it much. I just enjoy my plasma tv too much.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Well you can still watch youtube via web browser. The games I got for the Vita are good just need more games thinking of getting a couple when there's a decent sale like the easter sale.

Ariakace

Dedicated Member
Mar 12, 2008
New Jersey
[QUOTE="AsterPhoenix, post: 6443927]Well you can still watch youtube via web browser. The games I got for the Vita are good just need more games thinking of getting a couple when there's a decent sale like the easter sale.[/QUOTE]

I understand that, and yeah youtube via the browser works okay. but i run into lengthy videos that it just wont play. Like if i want to watch Podcast Beyond, it just loads. i wanted to see how long it would load today. I loaded the video with the vita on my charger, and i came back to check it 6 hours later and it was still trying to load. didnt play a single second of it. I dont like draining the battery on my phone for stuff like that which is why i loved my vita. All wifi, never have to worry about my phone dying listening to a youtube video to go to sleep to or anything.

but the thing with me is that a handheld console is probably not something for me. I wanted another Uncharted, another Killzone, and another Gravity Rush. the FFX remaster i thought would help. I stopped playing it after 4 hours. All i really play on it is MLB the show or youtube if im in bed or on the toilet. I wanted so much more for my Vita.

NOW.... if they can retroactively put trophies on PSOne games like those old leaked documents said a few years back, i would replay everything i ever played (FFVIII) all over again because i always wished i could play them on the toilet. of course i would have to be very very trusting of the Dominos delivery guy.... hopefully a girl. i miss boobs...