Liverpool FC Thread: Remember the 96

Phaded

Phading Reality
Jun 5, 2006
As opposed to your 11 men at the local chippy getting a kebab?, grow up. And watch as in go to the actual stadium is what i meant, so i'm not as much of a "mug" as you think I am. I also never said that Gerrard would never make it into another top team, I just said that other top teams have players as good in the same position.

EVILPS3

Master Poster
Jul 3, 2007
Yeah you got your views i got my views to argue over the internet is pathetic so lets not turn this into a war. Please tell me what players are equal to Gerrard in his position i can name one and that is Kaka maybe better than Gerrard although he cant defend.

Phaded

Phading Reality
Jun 5, 2006
It seems clear to me that he is better than Gerrard, seeing as he was voted best player in the world recently :p.

And if im honest i can't name many but, Lampard, Fabregas, Scholes (in his prime), probably a few more.

mudshark

Dedicated Member
Feb 11, 2007
looking for the Sky remote!
I have to say, from what I have seen of Anderson (albeit just on the tv), he seems to be a class act and has adapted to the English game far quicker than probably Ferguson even expected. He has pace, can distribute, tackle and is a tough lil' so and so. Makes up for buying Djemba Djemba!!

Ps..before I get flamed for being an arm chair Red, I am actually a season tkt holder at Norwich!

EVILPS3

Master Poster
Jul 3, 2007
[QUOTE="Phaded, post: 0]It seems clear to me that he is better than Gerrard, seeing as he was voted best player in the world recently :p.

And if im honest i can't name many but, Lampard, Fabregas, Scholes (in his prime), probably a few more.[/quote]
LOL LAMPARD please dont make me laugh or SCHOLES LOL they have not single-handedly won trophies and games like Gerrard maybe Fabregas in the future but not yet.

mudshark

Dedicated Member
Feb 11, 2007
[QUOTE="EVILPS3, post: 0]LOL LAMPARD please dont make me laugh or SCHOLES LOL they have not single-handedly won trophies and games like Gerrard maybe Fabregas in the future but not yet.[/quote]

I think you may find that Scholes has been pretty influencial in the umpteen PL titles Utd have won.

EVILPS3

Master Poster
Jul 3, 2007
[QUOTE="mudshark, post: 0]I think you may find that Scholes has been pretty influencial in the umpteen PL titles Utd have won.[/quote]
Yeah maybe but Scholes could never grab a game by the scruff of the neck like Gerrard can. Not to mention Istanbul,West ham,Olympiakos and about another 10% of our games he has won for us in the last few minutes.

keshin

Dedicated Member
May 21, 2005
The thing about Scholes (Who I think was a great player in his prime) is that he was crafted exactly to what ManU needed, with a quality team surrounding him. Stick him in another team, and he wouldn't be the Scholes you all know.

Gerrard on the other hand, was surrounded by weaker players and pretty much dragged our whole team through those past seasons, FA cups, and European games. Rafa has been a very lucky man over his rule at Anfield.

Gerrard IMO won us that first CL. Our team at that time was dreadful, but it was a combination of him who pulled us through the stages, and Rafa having a smaller squad thus his hand was forced in relation to rotation and tactics (Basically he had no choice but to play the same team.) Same with the win over West Ham in the FA cup, we played terribly, but Gerrards magic won it. Benitez got the praise.

I'm a huge Liverpool fan, but I've got to say this season, has been one of the worst seasons I can ever remember. Yes we may have finished lower in the league in the past, but the way the team has been playing... its like they've lost all sense of team work. Benitez just doesn't know how to deal with his players on a personal level. He sees his team like a chess board and expects players to work and do special jobs as if they where robots. He doesn't understand that these players need to play with one-another, develop on-pitch relationships and create a team spirit.

Personally I don't like Benitez. He has made little to no progress in the English game. He's brilliant in Europe, but he's just too **** stubborn to take onboard the British mentality. We will never win the league under him, and as I said before, he's been very lucky in the circumstances that have surrounded him since he arrived.

When all the fuss about the Americans was happening, his awful performance as a manager was overshadowed and people began taking their frustrations out on the yanks. But where so blinded by the CL win that they totally didn't see what was happening on the pitch.

I think we need a totally new clean slate. There is too much disruption in Liverpool FC now, and Benitez hasn't got the player manageability skills needed to get through it and create a team spirit. Instead I want a new manager at the same time as a new board of directors. Start fresh, work with the strength and quality the team has got at present and get rid of the huge load of baggage we're carrying.

Riise, Aurelio, Kewell, Pennent, Kuyt, Voronin, Arbeloa etc... these players need to go. They're simply place fillers, with nowhere NEAR the ability needed to win games week-in week-out. The recent buying-out of Maschereno is an excellent sign for the club, and its one of the first positives we can take since November. We need another quality striker, 2 attacking wingers, and 2 wing-backs... all of quality standard. That coupled with a manager who understands the British footballing mentality, team spirit and desire to win games by actually going out and attacking weaker teams... then we can seriously mount a title challenge.

Phaded

Phading Reality
Jun 5, 2006
[QUOTE="EVILPS3, post: 0]LOL LAMPARD please dont make me laugh or SCHOLES LOL they have not single-handedly won trophies and games like Gerrard maybe Fabregas in the future but not yet.[/QUOTE]

Number of Honour's

Gerrard = 10. Never won the League.
Lampard = 8
Scholes = 18

mudshark

Dedicated Member
Feb 11, 2007
There is no denying that Gerrard is a fantastic footballer but it is wrong to compare him directly to Scholes, as they are different types of players.

Scholes is (was) a better passer that Gerrard, I believe, and he keeps the side moving. Gerrard is more of an influencial player, no doubt, more power and more of a goal threat.

Liverpool are far too negative for my liking and its strange to see a Liverpool team play so negatively at times, playing on the break a lot, especially away. This is why they have been so successful in Europe over the last few yrs, the current style suits European football to a tee, playing a defensive games, nicking a goal and keeping it. I have a few friends who are season tkt holders at Liverpool and they have repeated your statement, that this year, the football being served up is the worst they have seen for years.

Phaded

Phading Reality
Jun 5, 2006
You need a change of manager like you said I think. The only problem is, if Liverpool continue on like this i can't see your bigger players staying, especially when they got offers coming in left right and center.

EVILPS3

Master Poster
Jul 3, 2007
[QUOTE="Phaded, post: 0]You need a change of manager like you said I think. The only problem is, if Liverpool continue on like this i can't see your bigger players staying, especially when they got offers coming in left right and center.[/quote]
Sort of agree but you have got too remember the majority of players in their prime now used to support Liverpool as a kid and a lot of decent world class players have been linked or linked now mainly because of our success in europe which many other clubs envy im sure Wenger or Ferguson would swap a league trophy or 2 for a CL trophy. I will say this time and time again liverpool can beat anyone on their day but lack the squad depth and consistency to win the league over 38 games.

Metal Warrior

Master Poster
Nov 18, 2005
Antwerp
[QUOTE="EVILPS3, post: 0]Yeah maybe but Scholes could never grab a game by the scruff of the neck like Gerrard can. Not to mention Istanbul,West ham,Olympiakos and about another 10% of our games he has won for us in the last few minutes.[/QUOTE]

Then you just have to ask yourself what the better quality is. Is it the ability to singlehandedly turn a single game around every few often, like Gerrard does? Or is it the ability to coördinate a team from a midfield role on a consistent level, like Scholes did so well (and Carrick often does now)? Granted, Gerrard's role has always been much more in the spotlights, while Scholes (and, continuing the analogy: Carrick) rather keep a low profile. For some reason you minimize Scholes' role in the successes of the last 10 years. I'll tell you this: Scholes has been instrumental in winning all those titles. Sure, he couldn't have done it by himself, like Gerrard sometimes does with Liverpool. That's just the thing: it's still a team sports, and that's what Ferguson and Wenger understand so well.

mudshark

Dedicated Member
Feb 11, 2007
[QUOTE="Metal Warrior, post: 0]Then you just have to ask yourself what the better quality is. Is it the ability to singlehandedly turn a single game around every few often, like Gerrard does? Or is it the ability to coördinate a team from a midfield role on a consistent level, like Scholes did so well (and Carrick often does now)? Granted, Gerrard's role has always been much more in the spotlights, while Scholes (and, continuing the analogy: Carrick) rather keep a low profile. For some reason you minimize Scholes' role in the successes of the last 10 years. I'll tell you this: Scholes has been instrumental in winning all those titles. Sure, he couldn't have done it by himself, like Gerrard sometimes does with Liverpool. That's just the thing: it's still a team sports, and that's what Ferguson and Wenger understand so well.[/quote]

which is basically what I said ;)

B

Baterzx

This season is pathetic... We have a couple of world class players in Gerrard and Torres but we still can't perform in the league. We need to get rid of Rafa and his stupid rotation strategy.

Danny2304

Master Poster
Feb 13, 2008
Liverpool, England
[QUOTE="Metal Warrior, post: 0]Then you just have to ask yourself what the better quality is. Is it the ability to singlehandedly turn a single game around every few often, like Gerrard does? Or is it the ability to coördinate a team from a midfield role on a consistent level, like Scholes did so well (and Carrick often does now)? Granted, Gerrard's role has always been much more in the spotlights, while Scholes (and, continuing the analogy: Carrick) rather keep a low profile. For some reason you minimize Scholes' role in the successes of the last 10 years. I'll tell you this: Scholes has been instrumental in winning all those titles. Sure, he couldn't have done it by himself, like Gerrard sometimes does with Liverpool. That's just the thing: it's still a team sports, and that's what Ferguson and Wenger understand so well.[/quote]

Thats what you buy and scout players for :confused:

Miney

Forum Elder
Oct 31, 2007
Tuffy_UK made me a nice new signature based around Liverpool FC. Now since my avatar already has Torres in it, my whole post box is Liverpool related 8)

Lets go you Reds! We need to start keeping our form for longer than two games in a row ;-)

Phaded

Phading Reality
Jun 5, 2006
Can somebody tell me why the Pool game was P-P until next Tuesday? I was looking forward to watching it.

I

iTech

[QUOTE="Phaded, post: 0]Can somebody tell me why the Pool game was P-P until next Tuesday? I was looking forward to watching it.[/QUOTE]

I don't know, but, they are playing in the Premier League tonight. The match is not on t.v but you can watch the highlights on SkySports at 10.00PM. I hope that helps.

EVILPS3

Master Poster
Jul 3, 2007
[QUOTE="Phaded, post: 0]Can somebody tell me why the Pool game was P-P until next Tuesday? I was looking forward to watching it.[/quote]
Maybe cause AC Milan and Inter Milan share the san siro or that we needed to fit in our game in hand.

RichMacca

Dedicated Member
Mar 13, 2007
[QUOTE="EVILPS3, post: 0]Maybe cause AC Milan and Inter Milan share the san siro or that we needed to fit in our game in hand.[/quote]

I think its too do with the ground share, although that didn't make too much sense as there on different days!

Phaded

Phading Reality
Jun 5, 2006
[QUOTE="RichMacca, post: 0]I think its too do with the ground share, although that didn't make too much sense as there on different days![/QUOTE]

Exactly different days so it makes no sense at all lol.

EVILPS3

Master Poster
Jul 3, 2007
Oh well good win again for us ripped the hammers apart thanks to Torres and Gerrard shame we have not kept this form up all season.

Miney

Forum Elder
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah a wicked win indeed. Good to see that we have infact held some form together over the last couple of weeks.

Another awesome hatrick by Torres and Gerrard just topped off the moment with another of his brilliant strikes 8)

Just re-watched the goals and they are all absolute class. It's a shame it seems that they have made their run all too late. Nevertheless though, it won't hurt to have a couple of good wins up our sleeve for next season 8)

Miney

Forum Elder
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah i suppose you are right in saying that but you can't expect that we would've won every game either. It all depends on circumstances. Just changing a formation won't win us a match. It will do us better but not win it for us. It depends on the other team, their player's and their formation.

However, don't get me wrong. I do, unfortunately (for Liverpool's sake), see your point.

Phaded

Phading Reality
Jun 5, 2006
Torres should never start on the bench. Never. Unless he is carrying a slight injury. **** all the other forwards and if they are unhappy, the fact of the matter is Torres is class and i've never said otherwise.

Benitez never seems to stick to one team though.