lord of the rings and starwars

Lefein

Ultimate Veteran
Jun 9, 2005
LoTR will be coming in a boxed set with the extended editions for BluRay while HD-DVD will only get the theatrical releases.

No word on Star Wars, but if the DVD version is anything to go by, don't be surprised if you dont hear about it for a little while. George Lucas likes to get things perfect the first time around and HD presents some drawbacks for the orginal trilogy such as makeup being easier to see and things like that.

Jan 27, 2007
LoTR will be coming in a boxed set with the extended editions for BluRay while HD-DVD will only get the theatrical releases.
Oh, not this crap again! Can you point to a press release from New Line stating that LotR is coming out for Blu-Ray?

R

REFLEX

They said a long time ago that LOTR is coming to Blu-ray and HD DVD, but to kind of balance out HD DVD getting the Matrix Trilogy first they are giving Blu-ray the extended versions of the series while HD DVD gets the theatrical releases.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=825463&page=1&pp=30

Its not 100% official but I can tell you this guy is a true insider.... and its been reported over and over in other places.

mcav

Elite Guru
Jan 12, 2007
Curious that they are not making the extended version for HD DVD - I'm assuming it's a capacity issue.

But I'm pleased about the extended editions coming to BD.

Fear

Dedicated Member
Nov 29, 2006
[QUOTE="mcav, post: 0]Curious that they are not making the extended version for HD DVD - I'm assuming it's a capacity issue.

But I'm pleased about the extended editions coming to BD.[/quote]

Its to compensate on HDDVD getting the Matrix trilogy...

Metfanant

Forum Sage
Apr 12, 2006
NY
[QUOTE="REFLEX, post: 0]They said a long time ago that LOTR is coming to Blu-ray and HD DVD, but to kind of balance out HD DVD getting the Matrix Trilogy first they are giving Blu-ray the extended versions of the series while HD DVD gets the theatrical releases.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=825463&page=1&pp=30

Its not 100% official but I can tell you this guy is a true insider.... and its been reported over and over in other places.[/quote]

LOTR: the extended versions meaning the ones that came out on DVD and have 4 DVD's per movie (2 to hold the movie and 2 for the extras?) I have all 3 movies in that version on DVD....but can't wait to see them on Blu-Ray...

Star Wars: Really hoping to see a 6 film boxed set on Blu-Ray with loads of extras some time down the road...its been hard holding myself back from buying them all on DVD...lol

AranhaHunter

Superior Member
Feb 12, 2006
[QUOTE="mcav, post: 0]Star Wars is Fox. If it's HD it'll be BD.

And no the final word is not with Lucas.[/QUOTE]

If Lucas doesn't give his ok, then Fox won't be able to release them, so in a way, yes the final word is his.

It's the same deal with Spielberg and his movies.

badz_ps3

Master Poster
Mar 21, 2006
ps3forums.com
it was brought up that LOTR wil come with extended versions on blu ray bc matrix came out on hddvd, but tell me, are we getting the matrix on blu ray any time soon???

Aug 16, 2007
^I heard that the Matirx would be coming to blu-ray when the BDJava or whatever is a finalized standard. October-ish I think?

PS-First post, but I've lurked before...

Idenowhereiam

Bandw!dth Savior
Oct 26, 2006
In Miami, man <3
oh man any idea if these would be on one disk or multi.. its weird knowing bluray has all this space yet things still seem to come out on multi disks... i guess all the extra behind the scenes stuff makes it so.. but id much rather have the matrix on one disk or the sopranos season on one disk...

mcav

Elite Guru
Jan 12, 2007
[QUOTE="AranhaHunter, post: 0]If Lucas doesn't give his ok, then Fox won't be able to release them, so in a way, yes the final word is his.

It's the same deal with Spielberg and his movies.[/quote]

Not so. Particularly with the original trilogy which George doesn't have as many rights as the new trilogy.

Lucas cannot distribute the star wars saga through anyone else than fox.

So like I said, if it's HD, it's BD.