Low on HDD Space & Changing Internal Drive

Jan 26, 2007
I was just wondering if the people who have upgraded their hard drives did a quick format or full format because i read that some games can be glitchy if the hard drive isn't fully formatted. Also is it true that if you fully format a new hard drive it can take so many hours to format?

Y

Yip-Man

the PS3 does the formatting it needs to the new HHD, you just plug in the raw unformatted drive and the ps3 does the rest !

the_End

Master Guru
Jul 30, 2007
Upgrading my 40GB to a 120GB today. Backing up my HDD right now, should take another 20 minutes, replace HDD, go see Saw V, come back and quick format and then restore.

Nov 2, 2008
[QUOTE="Sicarius123, post: 0]Anyone used one of the Samsung 500gb 2.5" yet? Thinking about using one of these, if I do the upgrade I only want to do it once.

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/productmodel.do?group=72&type=62&subtype=67&model_cd=373[/quote]

Yeah mate, I have.

Works like a charm. From what I remember, the drive either gives you about 440 or 460 GB or space... Can't remember which one, but it's around there somewhere.

The Spinpoint M6 Samsung 500GB drive is the only 500GB 2.5" hard drive which fits into the PS3 at the moment. Just make sure you get this one, or you'll be very disappointed, because all other 500GB drives are slightly thicker and hence won't fit in :(

The little thing cost me $220, and I reckon it's totally worth it. I had the same mindset as you.. If I was going to do it, I only wanted to do it once.

Also, with the formatting of an external hard drive into FAT32 format. You can apparently do larger size formats through command prompt, but it didn't seem to work for me.

GTR1986

Dedicated Member
Sep 10, 2007
Great guide, used this the other day to carry out a faultless operation on the ps3. Used the correct screwdriver and the job was done in about 10 minutes, the restoration of the backed up data took slightly longer but everything was restored to normal after about two hours with the added bonus of a bigger hard drive.

Nov 19, 2008
Sweetness, I plan on upgrading to a 500gb HDD soon, I found that 2.5" Samsung M6 for $109 Free shipping! I am very happy, and will be glad to know what the heck I'm doing once I finally get around to purchasing it! Thanks guys! :D

Nov 25, 2008
well i had a ps3 with a 40gb and upgraded to 160gb now that is getting full down to my last 20gb. resently purshaded a 320gb for about 75.00 and ordered a external enclosure for 7.00 i have no movies or music or pics as i strem them from my computer if i want to watch or listen to them just game saves hope this is enough space for a while or il;l be looking for a 1000gb external

Nov 21, 2008
hey guys, im having issues with the new hdd. i put in my new hdd and it says

"The system software cannot be run correctly. Press the PS buton to try and restart the system.

If the system cannont be restared, the system partition of the hard disk must be reformated and you mus reinstall the system software.
Insert storage media that contains update data of version 2.52 or later, and then press the START and SELECT buttons at the same time.
For information on how to obtain update data, refer to teh SCE Web site for your region."

did i do somethign wrong? something i need to do before hand?

Sicarius123

Superior Member
Feb 26, 2008
Well the instructions clearly say to put the latest update on a USB stick(Don't forget the folder structure (\\PS3\UPDATE\)) and use that to format the disk, why not try that?

Y

Yip-Man

320 GB Western Digital WD3200BEVT Scorpio Blue, 2.5", SATA 300, 5400 rpm, 8MB Cache, 12 ms

That one looks fine mate, any 2.5' will do even a 16mb cahed one !