M.2 SSD running slow!

Jan 17, 2007
Canada, Toronto
www.youtube.com
I just bought SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe PCI-E and it says it reads Up to 3,500 MB/s but I don't see that. My windows boot up as my old SSD not fast and I did the test via the Samsung software it does shows the reading speed Up to 3,500 MB/s but in the task manager performance it shows 4 MB or less. Even my friend got same issue any idea why? I didn't want to play with the bios settings until get more information thanks.

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
If I recall correctly it's under the Drive Information, or it might be called Device Information section. I'll check in a little while but I'm not on the computer where I have that installed at the moment.

In any case what read and write speeds to Magician's benchmark say you're getting?

Syphon_Filter

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Canada, Toronto
www.youtube.com
If I recall correctly it's under the Drive Information, or it might be called Device Information section. I'll check in a little while but I'm not on the computer where I have that installed at the moment.

In any case what read and write speeds to Magician's benchmark say you're getting?
The
Magician's benchmark it says 3.6Gb but I think there won't be any difference in the speed as I think the windows or any other applications won't take advantage from the m.2. Because when I ran the test and I checked the m.2 speed via performance manager it did show reading speed 3.6 while the test is running and when the test finished. It went back to 2MB reading.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
I just bought SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe PCI-E and it says it reads Up to 3,500 MB/s but I don't see that. My windows boot up as my old SSD not fast and I did the test via the Samsung software it does shows the reading speed Up to 3,500 MB/s but in the task manager performance it shows 4 MB or less. Even my friend got same issue any idea why? I didn't want to play with the bios settings until get more information thanks.
It depends on what you're doing with it.

3.5GB/s is the sequential read. If windows is reading small files from here and there then you're limited by latency. More over, if the file is not large, you'll probs never see that speed outside of a benchmark.

Typically, sequential read has little impact on OS perf. (within reason), you're after IOPS for that. But even then, the difference between SSD to [current-gen]NVME is not as big as the jump from HDD to SSD.

HDD IOPS were measured in the low hundreds, SSD and beyond are measured in the hundreds of thousands.

Syphon_Filter

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Canada, Toronto
www.youtube.com
It depends on what you're doing with it.

3.5GB/s is the sequential read. If windows is reading small files from here and there then you're limited by latency. More over, if the file is not large, you'll probs never see that speed outside of a benchmark.

Typically, sequential read has little impact on OS perf. (within reason), you're after IOPS for that. But even then, the difference between SSD to [current-gen]NVME is not as big as the jump from HDD to SSD.

HDD IOPS were measured in the low hundreds, SSD and beyond are measured in the hundreds of thousands.
Thank you for your help. Yea I guess it will be like that not taking advantage from the higher speed the the m.2 have.