Mac book pro repair.

Acid Snake

Super Elite
Sep 7, 2008
Alright so, I was helping with the installation of a new exhaust fan inside the laptop. The one on the right. The input slot on the logic board got damaged when I tried to install the new fan. One of the pins broke completely off along with a piece of the input slot where you plug in the fan. Will apple repair this type of damage or will they replace the logic board entirely? Any idea how much this is going to cost?

Oct 23, 2007
[QUOTE="Acid Snake, post: 5462021]Alright so, I was helping with the installation of a new exhaust fan inside the laptop. The one on the right. The input slot on the logic board got damaged when I tried to install the new fan. One of the pins broke completely off along with a piece of the input slot where you plug in the fan. Will apple repair this type of damage or will they replace the logic board entirely? Any idea how much this is going to cost?[/QUOTE]

Good luck! I am sure Tut will come in here and give you the low down, but I have a feeling I know what he will say.

Tutankhamun

Ultimate Veteran
Aug 2, 2006
twitter.com
The normal warranty and AppleCare gets voided when you damage something during installation of parts that are not user replaceable. That being said, it wouldn't hurt to go to an Apple Store and see what they say, some geniuses may help you never know but generally they won't fix it for free. But you can always pay them to fix it.

Not sure what it will cost, better go to a store and see what they do and yeah you'll need to replace the whole board.

Acid Snake

Super Elite
Sep 7, 2008
Problem already solved. Had someone solder the wiring directly to the board so the fan is working. Better than taking it in to get it fixed. I saw the insane prices for the logic board replacements. :lol:

[DT]

Forum Guru
May 1, 2008
Vilano Beach, FL
[QUOTE="Acid Snake, post: 5462758]Problem already solved. Had someone solder the wiring directly to the board so the fan is working. Better than taking it in to get it fixed. I saw the insane prices for the logic board replacements. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Hahaha, awesome. Love a good DIY fix :D

BTW, you can score those ribbon edge connectors (or 4 pin block style) for like $0.25/each from most electronic supply stores.

Acid Snake

Super Elite
Sep 7, 2008
[DT];5462773 said:
Hahaha, awesome. Love a good DIY fix :D

BTW, you can score those ribbon edge connectors (or 4 pin block style) for like $0.25/each from most electronic supply stores.
Thanks for the info, I'll have to look into that.