Making the most of the PS4

-Shafty-

overstepping the mark
Sep 7, 2007
Ok guys, I haven't really been keeping up with the ins and outs of the PS4 but i managed to get a hold of one last night. :)

Can we use this thread as somewhere where you can tell me (and others) how to make the most of our PS4's (IE what to download/subscribe to/register etc) and other things we need to do.

Gracias

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
Well, best thing to do is buy games. ;)

Get PS+ obviously.
Go to Settings > Power Save Settings > Set Functions Available in Standby Mode > Check all the options in here.
Settings > System > Automatic Downloads and Uploads > check the option in here

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 6265527]Well, best thing to do is buy games. ;)

Get PS+ obviously.
Go to Settings > Power Save Settings > Set Functions Available in Standby Mode > Check all the options in here.
Settings > System > Automatic Downloads and Uploads > check the option in here[/QUOTE]

As mentioned above, also I would recommend downloading the apps that are already installed as they do come in handy, especially the IGN app which I must admit I use quite a bit!

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="Duffman1986, post: 6265553]As mentioned above, also I would recommend downloading the apps that are already installed as they do come in handy, especially the IGN app which I must admit I use quite a bit![/QUOTE] Yeah I like the IGN app as well.

Effekt

Apprentice
Mar 9, 2008
Since the MP3/CD feature isn't out yet, use the Music Unlimited app for 30-days free, no CC required, to listen to music while you play games. The music isn't the biggest selection but it's got most mainstream songs and you can make playlists. Also, once the 30-days pass, you can use the code you got with the PS4 for another 30-days:D

Bitbydeath

Power Member
Sep 10, 2005
I recommend changing your share button setup so you can press the button without the interruption of the share menu.
This can be changed by [Share Button] > [Options] > [Share Settings] > [SHARE Button Control Type].

YoungMullah88

PSU Live Streamer
Sep 15, 2006
Charlotte
www.playfire.com
[QUOTE="Bitbydeath, post: 6265851]I recommend changing your share button setup so you can press the button without the interruption of the share menu.
This can be changed by [Share Button] > [Options] > [Share Settings] > [SHARE Button Control Type].[/QUOTE]

Easy mode...1 push = screen cap. Tap twice = start recording. Hold = share menu

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

GazzaGSi

Elite Guru
May 9, 2007
[QUOTE="YoungMullah88, post: 6265855]Easy mode...1 push = screen cap. Tap twice = start recording. Hold = share menu

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Also just to clarify something for myself as I use this Easy mode too. The 1 push = screen cap, also saves the last 15 minutes of gameplay at the same time correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YoungMullah88

PSU Live Streamer
Sep 15, 2006
Charlotte
www.playfire.com
The last 15 minutes is a little dodgy for me, it works sometimes but most times it does not save it (mostly because of bf4 being a glitchy mess). But yes tapping the Share button twice is supposed to save the last 15 min and start recording the next 15 minutes

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

robvandam111

Master Poster
Mar 11, 2010
Miami, Fl
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 6265527]Well, best thing to do is buy games. ;)

Get PS+ obviously.
Settings > System > Automatic Downloads and Uploads > check the option in here[/QUOTE]

I did this on my PS3 few weeks ago. That automatic update really screwed me with MGS4; now I can't use the ultimate game save from Gamefaqs lol.

LM-93

Elite Member
Aug 27, 2008
Cleethorpes
Some tips I've learnt over the past few days throughout checking PS4 related threads;

Pressing the R3 button whilst typing with the keyboard will turn your Dualshock 4 into a wireless mouse of sorts, tilting the controller moves the mouse in the desired direction; quicker and more effective once mastered.

With the non existence of an official YouTube app on the PS4 and no video support due to a lack of Adobe flash to operate the regular YouTube webpage, entering www.youtube.com/tv will enable you to access YouTube in the web version of the same layout used for the PS3 app.

Jul 13, 2013
Oregon
You dont need the camera to use voice controls, you can use a mic.
Also pressing L2 while voice commands are enabled will bring up the voice command prompt without saying "playstation"
so all you need to do to start a game with your voice is press L2 say "the name of the game" then say "Start" or press "x"

Oct 23, 2013
U can put it into bed, hug it, kiss it and promise it that u will never cheat on it :) true story!

Ps: whatever u do, don't get obsessed with tilting the left corner

33x

Super Carlton
Staff member
Dec 26, 2007
SW London
[QUOTE="-Shafty-, post: 6281861]Cloud saves and back ups, auto downloads of updates etc.

do you still go on your ps3 33x?[/QUOTE]

Nah, i gave my ps3 to my son over a year ago

I need some ps4 buddies to add tho, so hit me up, im JMEWalterblack

-Shafty-

overstepping the mark
Sep 7, 2007
[QUOTE="three3-times, post: 6281863]Nah, i gave my ps3 to my son over a year ago

I need some ps4 buddies to add tho, so hit me up, im JMEWalterblack[/QUOTE]that would be so fuckin awesome if that was your real name :lol:
(please dont say it is :snicker )

33x

Super Carlton
Staff member
Dec 26, 2007
SW London
[QUOTE="-Shafty-, post: 6281865]that would be so fuckin awesome if that was your real name :lol:
(please dont say it is :snicker )[/QUOTE]

Haha! no it aint, but JME are my initials, walter black is a parody of walter white breaking bad and im black obv!

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
well, amazon for some reason didn't ship it on friday but did so on sunday. they are telling me it will be here on wednesday. i already asked for the whole week off from wednesday so i'm good.

and just a reminder, i'll add you and everything, even though you're black, my bigger issue is that you're also foriegn, which means not american.

and i don't understand this weird version of english some of you "people" speak (also known as British English). so if i act a little odd, like some cues are off or it seems like as if we're not working out, it's likely because i just don't understand your filthy and wrong accent.

all accents other than american are filthy and incorrect.

EDIT: I was going to make an entire thread about this but this seems appropriate.

Last edited: