Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I forgot how great this game was. Battle mode has been completely fixed and is fun again. Hopefully I can do some online battles later with Chris and F34R.

Here are a couple screen shots. Quality is nowhere near as good as on the TV or tablet.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Yeah, I really like that they fixed battle mode. One of the battle stages is Wuhu Town from Mario Kart 7 which was a favorite of mine. I believe there's another based on Splatoon as the updated character roster includes Inkling Girl and Inkling Boy.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 6528697]This game is driving me effin NUTS!!! lol. I hate being in first, then in the last quarter of a track, I'm in 6th lol.[/QUOTE]

Last lap I will try to stay in a close 2nd or 3rd so I don't get screwed by a blue shell. Then use my power-up to take 1st

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
My sons and I have had a few rounds this weekend. lol.....I'm always getting pop out on the last lap. Need to learn to hold back and make a move.

Anyone else using the plastic wheels? I was surprised how small they are, but they work pretty well.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 6528697]This game is driving me effin NUTS!!! lol. I hate being in first, then in the last quarter of a track, I'm in 6th lol.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like my online racing days in Mario Kart 7. Even worse when the racer having passed you is the generic "Player" who may or may not be a real person.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Wow, some people are calling the game a scam because you have to pay full price for it... except it's an enhanced port that comes with all of the DLC characters and race tracks, a fully-revised battle mode, an extra item slot and upscaled graphics.

I can understand if you're afraid that there might not be a Mario Kart 9 on Switch, given how the games tend to release, but the Wii U was also not very successful at all, pretty much forcing Nintendo to bolster the more immediate Switch game releases any way they can. Seriously, if a better, more complete game is a "scam" to these people, what do they call the AAA releases that have the rest of the game locked away behind day-one DLC and season passes?

The fact that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe isn't even a launch title for the Switch further goes to show how it isn't a scam because it shows the company values a little something called quality control in their games. But then these same people will complain about waiting for the next big exclusive release which surely would have happened had the "scam" of a game released almost two months earlier.

Sorry, kids, but things aren't as black-and-white as you'd like to believe.

Last edited:

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
People can call it a scam all they want. They do not have to spend the money and buy it.

I bought this on the Wii U and was more than happy to pay full price for my Switch version. Wasn't Twilight Princess HD and Windwaker HD also full price? I don't remember hearing anyone crying about those... On that note, I would gladly pay for Twilight Princess on my Switch. *crosses fingers*

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6528727]People can call it a scam all they want. They do not have to spend the money and buy it.

I bought this on the Wii U and was more than happy to pay full price for my Switch version. Wasn't Twilight Princess HD and Windwaker HD also full price? I don't remember hearing anyone crying about those... On that note, I would gladly pay for Twilight Princess on my Switch. *crosses fingers*[/QUOTE]
I genuinely like the idea of enhanced ports since you're getting more bang for your buck. Mario Kart 8 released three years ago too so plenty of time has passed to warrant paying full price for all of the content and welcome changes to gameplay.

Last edited:

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
No one has to buy this game. I'm sure it still runs just fine on Wii U. For those, like me, who didn't own Wii U then is certainly isn't a problem. It is a great game and worth the full price.

F34R

Legend
Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
I traded my Wii U version in via Amazon and also got a $10 coupon since mine came late (today instead of the 28th). All be told, I paid $15 for it. Anyways... back to what I was going to post.