Mass Effects Future

Sep 8, 2007
It is looking increasingly likely that the sequels will be multi plat but what of mass effect 1? will that be ported to ps3 next year and published by EA? I want answers

Lefein

Ultimate Veteran
Jun 9, 2005
No offense, but "choose your own adventure" games are so mid nineties.. Just my personal opinion, though.

A

Armake21

As do many I'm sure, but for now, waiting and keeping your eyes open for information, is the best bet.

I mean if you MUST play Mass Effect now, you know what needs to be done then, so not much else to contribute beyond that.

No offense, but "choose your own adventure" games are so mid nineties..
Funny, but I think there is more depth here then in...oh say- "The Cave of Time" :p

That and, for the last two years or so, they took the format onto DVD, so now it's animated cartoons you pick paths for. Yep...people can't even be bothered to read their adventures, they need it dancing in front of them XD

P.S.- Read the Mass Effect novel they released. It gives a great idea of the depth to be found in the game, even if it takes place before the game.

Feli

Veteran
Mar 5, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
hmm.. I don't know. I haven't liked what I've seen of Mass Effect. really, if all the 360 exclusives came to the ps3 as late ports, the only ones I would buy are Bioshock, Gears, and Blue Dragon (although I haven't seen too much of Crackdown - it seems interesting).

I am buying Eternal Sonata unless it's broken.

DoomHand

Apprentice
Oct 16, 2007
i do not want mass effect untill all the problems are fixed. so no buggy port of a buggy 360 game plz (the taring OH GOD THE TARING WHYYYYYY................) (

B

Bakari

It all depends what the details were in the agreement between Microsoft and Bioware. Going by the answers by the developers, it seems unlikely. As Publishers of the title I think Microsoft have the rights to Mass Effect 1, although I could be mistaken.

Jul 22, 2007
Eh I really doubt ME will go multi. It seems to be doing just fine on 360, and a PC port is possible but I really doubt it will show on PS3. There just doesn't seem to be much reason in my opinion.

Strung Out

Elite Member
Aug 15, 2007
[QUOTE="Lefein, post: 0]No offense, but "choose your own adventure" games are so mid nineties.. Just my personal opinion, though.[/quote]

So is tomb raider and Indiana Jones, but Uncharted still looks fun.

AranhaHunter

Superior Member
Feb 12, 2006
[QUOTE="Bakari, post: 0]It all depends what the details were in the agreement between Microsoft and Bioware. Going by the answers by the developers, it seems unlikely. As Publishers of the title I think Microsoft have the rights to Mass Effect 1, although I could be mistaken.[/QUOTE]

Seems like you are mistaken, though it doesn't say Bioware either, I believe it's EAs now

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=g9p092.2.6

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
The game is ok so far. I cant help but feel like most of the side missions are time sinks. The only reason I do them are for the weapons and equipments to be salvaged. It isn't the greatest looking game I have ever seen but it is one of the best designs I have ever seen. What I mean by that is, the graphics are actually pretty plain but the high contrast (movie filter) added with the film grain gives it a movielike appearence which helps it out. Story is decent so far and the voice acting is superb.

All in all....... this is Kotor minus the star wars license. Instead of force you use mass effect. In essence.... you get to play a han solo/dash rendar type..... that might get jed.... umm biotic powers. The aliens, technology and worlds are unique enough but it still just reminds me of kotor. That isn' a bad thing at all. I fell the gameplay is hit and miss as well. I have gotten used to it but i just think they probably could have gotten it better. Its missing that umph.

Bitbydeath

Power Member
Sep 10, 2005
By the way they've designed the game i don't think we'll see ME on PS3.

You'll probably be better off getting a 360 or getting the PC version once it arrives if you really want to play it.

Alpha2

Elite Guru
Mar 3, 2007
M$ will pay through the nose to keep it on PC and 36* it'll never get to PS3. Now they could always make a new property that plays the same way like maybe a Jade Empire 2 or something, but we'll never see Mass Effect.

rbrtchng

Forum Guru
Aug 25, 2006
[QUOTE="Armake21, post: 0]I don't, look how long it took Jade Empire to be ported to the PC.[/quote]

Look how quickly Gears of War got ported to the PC with extra content. What happens is probably that the bigger selling games gets ported faster. Halo is the only exception to this.

Oct 18, 2006
after finishing the game, i highly recommend playing it, even if its just on a friends xbox, it is an enjoyable game, and the only RPG ive ever found myself not only wanting to finish, but begin to finish for a second time. i wont get into details, but criticisms of the game should not be a determining factor in your decision to play it, as it is no way a drawback to the overall aesthetic, or enjoyability of the game. to answer your question, i think it would be good if all playstation owners (of one i am which) got to play the game, but unfortunately i dont believe the game would be ported to the playstation, despite EA games reputation of increasing revenue, at all costs. the sequels have been rumored to be multiplatform (at least for PS3 & X360 anyway). beyond that there isnt any indication of what iterations of mass effect, Bioware will be developing on what platforms. however if the sequels are multiplatform, it would be highly beneficial to play the first game as it ends on a climatic note, and will lead straight into the second game (depending on what downloadable content bioware decides to provide, which has been said to bridge the gaps between the retail release games). entering into the mass effect universe in the second game would be exponentially confusing, as it was difficult to comprehend the inordinate amount of story and background in the first game.

to summarise:
* the first game is unlikely to be ported to the playstation 3 due to the level of work
required to port it... im not even sure if any developer other than epic has had a
game built on the unreal 3 engine running on the ps3 architecture...
* There is a possibility the sequels will be multiplatform, though there is no knowing
what will happen with DLC.
* if released on playstation, it may include some sort of dvd-like content, which would
fill in the story, unavailable to playstation fans who did not play the first game.

Venger

Forum Elder
Jun 16, 2005
If the second and third game really do go multi-platform then there'll probably be some version of the first game, it'll get a special edition name or some such. Only way it won't happen is if MS owns the IP, and that isn't likely. Mass Effect was planned as a trilogy and there's no point multi-platforming just the second and third game, so it'll likely be an either/or. By the time it comes out MS isn't likely to care, especially if bringing out game 1 delays bringing out game 2 on the PS3. Reality is that games really sell for about 2 weeks, unless they get best seller status and a second chance, a publisher has to make most of their money in those 2 weeks, only way exclusives really make any sense for a dev is if they are first party or the user base is so slanted as to make other platforms not worth the time.

As for PC versions, its not a question of if, it is a question of when, Bioware ports everything to PC, and almost everything to MAC.

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
My friend, HUGE Xbox fan, was soooo pumped about Mass Effect and I was talking to him earlier and was saying that he was mad he got so excited about it because it wasn't as great as he thought it would be. When I looked at info about it I didn't seem to like it too much just off that so I don't really care what happens with Mass Effect.

clean515

Elite Guru
Oct 11, 2007
Mass effect and fable are the only 2 games i would love to see on ps3 so well i hope mass effect goes multi... After all it is EA.