Metal Gear Solid 4 revisited 2+ years later

TDbank24

Master Guru
Jul 25, 2008
Boston, MA
Every now and then we're reminded of an epic game. Was there anything more epic than Metal Gear Solid 4? This video has made me once again want to play Metal Gear Solid 4. I mean when you think about it. Nothing really has come close to the excellence of MGS4, and we're talking about a 2+ year old game. It's truly amazing to fathom what Hideo Kojima has accomplished.

[video=youtube;UsSvo4gqJaY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsSvo4gqJaY[/video]

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
I was just thinking about this game the other way. Don't have time to watch the video because my break is over but my question is simple, "What's so good about MGS4?" I may have missed it while I was playing the game because other than a few cool enemies and a few cool bosses, I didn't find anything amazing in it. The interesting thing to note is that I've been semi-following the storyline as well, whatever I could...as humanly as possible.

Copyright

Elite Guru
Feb 19, 2007
It was amazing. Just slightly annoying about the outdated AI. I can't remember, but they did still walk in straight lines, didn't they? On the stealth bits. They just needed to have changed the AI, and maybe a bit more fluid gunning. It was amazing though, such a good story to it!

Bio

Veteran
Aug 4, 2007
Battlefield
Haha. Niiiice.

To my misfortune, I still have yet to get a PS3 nor have I gotten to play all of MGS4, but I LOVED what I played of it.

Stefan

Forum Elder
Jan 8, 2008
I prefered Uncharted 2 in terms of 'epicness.' MGS4 just felt too old and dated. Still good though.

Soulless

Apprentice
Jun 20, 2007
[QUOTE="Sufi, post: 5175167]I was just thinking about this game the other way. Don't have time to watch the video because my break is over but my question is simple, "What's so good about MGS4?" I may have missed it while I was playing the game because other than a few cool enemies and a few cool bosses, I didn't find anything amazing in it. The interesting thing to note is that I've been semi-following the storyline as well, whatever I could...as humanly as possible.[/QUOTE]

The most amazing thing is the depth of character and story an emotion involved in MGS4, but it is something one cannot feel and see without having played through the previous games.

Think of it like this. You have played 3 (or more) previous games over the course of a decade and before MGS4 you are left with a hundred questions unanswered and your thinking to yourself "man, this is gonna end up like LOST, everything unanswered and last-second solutions to plotholes".
Then MGS4 comes and you relize that everything fits together just perfectly, and you get all the answeres you could ever think of.

Another way of seeing it would be the fact that there could easily be 20 additional games being created based on the background and sidestories to the MGS saga, and everyone of them would be original and well scripted.

Gameplaywise, its a matter of taste, but when it comes to imagination and scripting and thought, MGS-games aces it all.

Green Michine

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2008
It was a nice little story with some strange accents thrown in and nice little blinking eyes, but the acting was great. I give mgs4 a big 10/10!

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
Haha thats my mate on that video. I met him playing Guild Wars. Yeah MGS4 is unbelievable, EPIC, beautiful and a love letter type ending for fans of the series. It has an amazing level of polish and I almost cried at the end, especially with Ocelots "you're pretty good". That final boss battle was the best and most epic battle ever with such an amazing build up over many titles. Awesome!

[video=youtube;P017y_pbAsY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P017y_pbAsY[/video]

Last edited:

Xelis

Elite Sage
Jan 1, 2008
I'm afraid it does suck. It sucks because it's blown every game out the water and nothing has been able to touch it since.

Nov 28, 2006
The later part of this game is filled with so many epic sequences...I get a nice big smile just thinking about all of the scenes that had my hands cold as ice from the tension.

Forcedme

Super Elite
Oct 19, 2007
Act I was awesome. Act II was a little less awesome but still awesome. Act III sucked nuggets. Act IV sucked less nuggets but still sucked save toward the end. Act V broke my heart with its sucky nugget-ness.

But that's just my opinion. The mess that was MGS4 has not diminished my love for the first three Solid titles (I loved number 2 and no one can take that away from me!). It had its epic moments throughout, of course, but in the end I was more disappointed than satisfied. But hey, some of us loved it, some of us said "Wut." Unfortunately, I was in the latter group. I didn't want to be.

TDbank24

Master Guru
Jul 25, 2008
Boston, MA
[QUOTE="Xelis, post: 5175497]I'm afraid it does suck. It sucks because it's blown every game out the water and nothing has been able to touch it since.[/QUOTE]

I believe that was the point. :lol:

It's true though. Every epic game i've played since i've thought about Metal Gear Solid 4 in the back of my head.

BlacJack

Dedicated Member
Jun 26, 2007
UK
[QUOTE="Stoffinator, post: 5175217]Only thing that was wrong with MGS4 was MGO.[/QUOTE]

MGO was great, the interface sucked. It's a shame Konami had that terrible log in fiasco, or more people would have been able to enjoy the great and surprisingly tactical shooter amongst all the mindless shooters out there.

Fon

Master Guru
Oct 5, 2009
@Home
I loved the game, but I felt like Metal Gear Solid 3 was better in terms of epicness. The game made me really think about many things.

1solidsnake

Forum Elder
Aug 22, 2007
this was the most epic game, i think this was always a reason to by a ps3, i've always thought that and i think snake is the face of playstation. idk. how MGS rising is gonna be but, i know it could be a great game, but it's not snake. Snake was awesome and still is, i'll always be an MGS fan.

EHY893

Elite Guru
Jun 4, 2008
MGS4 was the reason I bought a PS3 and to this day there still hasn't been another PS3 game to come close to it in my opinion.

bigCman123

Dedicated Member
Jan 30, 2009
Metal Gear Solid 4 is my favorite game of all time, but I still loved all the other MGS games, Uncharted 2, God of War 3, etc. I still think MGS4 (and the MGS series in general) is the most epic (legendary?) game series ever. Seriously, Peace Walker was amazing aswell and I think it's a WAY better game than even Red Dead Redemption... MGS has always been brilliant (although I HATE the controls in portable ops).

Sep 15, 2008
Guys... I've owned a PS3 since launch and purchased MGS4 a couple of days after it was released. Altogether, I've only spent about 20 minutes on it.. I've read the reviews, my friends say its one of the best games ever made but I still havn't got around to play it.

Thanks for posting that vid... im gona dedicate my time to clock it within 7 days!