Metal Gear Solid Comics (review)

cruzader

Dedicated Member
Dec 28, 2006
Has anyone read the Metal Gear Solid comics?

I was able to get my hands on the first series (mgs1) and most of the second series (mgs2). I'm glad that I did.

The artwork by Ashley Wood match that of Yoji Shinkawa's original Metal Gear Solid artwork. Characters retain their images(though Raiden looks a lot less like a pretty boy- which is a good thing). The images feel very gritty, and contribute to the MGS story.

The story is kept true to the game with very little deviation to events in the games (such as the PAL card dilemma, and the ending of MGS1). The dialog is good, and sometimes borrows from the games themselves. The only downside to this is there are moments of awkward narration in which characters will voice out their intended actions. Don't get me wrong, it does not take away from the story or action.

Speaking of action, the battle sequences do a great job of portraying the MGS boss fights. The stylistic artwork contribute to this as well.

For those who have not played first two games in awhile, these 2 series of comics will help refresh you of the story line. Unfortunately, if you are trying to get into the series by reading these comics, you still may be confused. Yet this still could very well happen if you actually played the games themselves.

cruzader

Dedicated Member
Dec 28, 2006
[QUOTE="Blu-Ray, post: 0]No, but I wish I was able to find some.[/quote]

There are .cbr versions out on the web. Now, I'm not advocating piracy, but if you must read them, there's that option.