Metal Gear Survive controversy thread (Did the game survive PSU? Read the review!)

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
EDIT: Read the PSU review below.

https://www.psu.com/reviews/metal-gear-survive-review-ps4/

Konami's Metal Gear Survive - the first in the Metal Gear series since creator Hideo Kojima's departure - is out in the UK today. It's an okay video game! But it also contains one of the more bizarre - and perhaps obnoxious - examples of microtransactions I've seen in a full price video game to date.

Metal Gear Survive contains a second currency powered by 'SV Coins' - coins that can only be purchased with real money - which enable access to XP boosters during your playthrough. All fairly mucky stuff, really, and nothing I'd condone - cosmetic items, at a push, are okay, though if you're willingly breaking your own game in exchange for cold hard cash I think you're admitting your progression system might be kind of broken already - but Metal Gear Survive does something fairly new to me.

In exchange for 1000 SV coins - around £7.99, seeing as that's how much a bundle of 1150 coins will cost you - you unlock access to an additional character slot. And that's the only way you can access an additional character slot.

It's a baffling choice, really - this isn't the kind of game you'd want to grind through with different characters, seeing as you're never locked into one particular build, though why option is then locked out behind a paywall seems only to invite ire. Which, given the heated emotions surrounding Konami's first post-Kojima Metal Gear, it inevitably has. A small shame, really, as beyond such bullshit there's a half decent Metal Gear game to be found in Survive.
Looks like Konami are competing with EA to be the worst company in the industry.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
This game is selling 85 percent fewer copies than Metal Gear Rising. That's according to physical sales in the UK though I don't expect much difference in the US.

65th place on Steam. That's bad for a new release.

Last edited:
R

Rush3d

They should get busy remaking MGS 1-4. That's their last hope in the video game industry.
I don't think Konami cares about video games anymore. They knew from the announcement trailer of Survive that this game was dead on arrival and they didn't do anything to try and revert the situation. They instead implemented this bullsh*t MTXs to the game.

Jun 4, 2007
I don't think Konami cares about video games anymore. They knew from the announcement trailer of Survive that this game was dead on arrival and they didn't do anything to try and revert the situation. They instead implemented this bullsh*t MTXs to the game.
It's a good thing sales of this game is really bad.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
I never expected much Metal Gear is just a another big IP now with no creativity gone just like some other franchises. Well we can hope Konami to go bankrupt and once Kojima gets enough money he could buy it off them but nevertheless im way more interested in what Kojima could come up with doing new IPs.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
and once Kojima gets enough money he could buy it off them
Can you imagine if this actually happens and Kojima Productions announce a remake of Metal Gear or Metal Gear Solid for PS5?

Imagine if Hideo Kojima walked up on stage for E3 during Sony's presentation with people expecting him to announce Death Stranding 2 or another new IP and he's like, "I have something exciting to show you all today."

The room goes dark and you see an incredibly realistic shot of a middle-aged Kurt Russell. Then, the camera moves back slowly to reveal him as Solid Snake, out in the snow with his back to a wall, about to sneak into Shadow Moses.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Can you imagine if this actually happens and Kojima Productions announce a remake of Metal Gear or Metal Gear Solid for PS5?

Imagine if Hideo Kojima walked up on stage for E3 during Sony's presentation with people expecting him to announce Death Stranding 2 or another new IP and he's like, "I have something exciting to show you all today."

The room goes dark and you see an incredibly realistic shot of a middle-aged Kurt Russell. Then, the camera moves back slowly to reveal him as Solid Snake, out in the snow with his back to a wall, about to sneak into Shadow Moses.
Haha yup I could see it as unlikely but I could just imagine the reaction though.

Kojima is a man with a lot of interesting ideas so im interested in what he can come up with.