Metroidvania Fever!

Kwes

Unbound Mercenary
Mar 30, 2009
I've recently come down with a fever and the only cure has been good old metroidvania indie games!

I'm talking Hollow Knight, Ooooooo, Ori and the Blind forest, Ahhhhh. I'm talking mutha flicking Dead Cells! Love it.

I've been playing Dead Cells like a mad man for the past couple days. Loving it, like a lighter 2d dark souls mixed with spelunky. Procedurally generated levels with a grab bag of weapons and abilities give a game a great feel.

Any other fans or sick folk also had fun with these games?

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
It feels like metroidvania-style games account for the majority of indie games that have released in the past 5 years or so. Honestly though, I don't think I can ever be genuinely excited for one unless it's Nintendo announcing a sequel to Metroid Fusion (great art direction and gameplay).

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia was pretty decent. I have yet to play Symphony of the Night, despite seemingly everyone calling it a must-play, masterpiece, G.O.A.T. etc.

I've played through Shovel Knight but didn't care enough to complete it.

Last edited:

Kwes

Unbound Mercenary
Mar 30, 2009
[QUOTE="Vyse, post: 6531901]It feels like metroidvania-style games account for the majority of indie games that have released in the past 5 years or so. Honestly though, I don't think I can ever be genuinely excited for one unless it's Nintendo announcing a sequel to Metroid Fusion (great art direction and gameplay).

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia was pretty decent. I have yet to play Symphony of the Night, despite seemingly everyone calling it a must-play, masterpiece, G.O.A.T. etc.

I've played through Shovel Knight but didn't care enough to complete it.[/QUOTE]

Not gonna lie, there are a lot on the market. The ones I like have very fluid controls, so you can just haul ass through the levels.

Ori and the blind Forest has a control scheme that makes the traversal of the game fun. Dead cells just feels like a mix of dark souls and Spelunky.

But I digress, not all succomb to this fever so quickly.