MGS Hd collection.

Lebowski

Master Sage
Nov 29, 2007
Bowling
It's worth it for MGS3 alone. Yes, there is an online counterpart in the Peace Walker game..you can even play co-op! Honestly, it doesn't look like too much of an upscale, but everything looks so much smoother when you play the games. MGS3 is my favorite part of that collection and this should be in any MGS fans' library. So yes, buy it.

Sylar

Elite Sage
Aug 30, 2008
UK
I'd definitely recommend buying it, feels great to play the series again. You also get Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 and give them a try, funny to see how far the games have come

Sylar

Elite Sage
Aug 30, 2008
UK
[QUOTE="AaronSOLDIER, post: 5769916]Did they actually remove stuff from it? (Like the cockroaches in MGS2)?[/QUOTE]

There are still cockroaches in sections and Snake still sneezes on the tanker mission when you've been outside for too long.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
I dont see how it can have it anything removed its just straight port and PS3 is massively more powerful than a PS2.

If it had the first game on PS1 included I would buy it in a heart beat, without it its not much a collection

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Yeah, I picked it up a while ago. I would say that it's a pretty faithful HD port of the PlayStation 2 classics. I wasn't a big fan of the Peace Walker title but Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 were... well, pretty solid (haha). Definitely pick it up if you're a Metal Gear Solid fan.

Xelis

Elite Sage
Jan 1, 2008
Im getting it but i still dont understand why they didnt include Twin Snakes or at least the PS1 version.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="Xelis, post: 5770027]Im getting it but i still dont understand why they didnt include Twin Snakes or at least the PS1 version.[/QUOTE]
I would imagine that they would have a hard time doing the HD conversion for a PlayStation title. Also, the Twin Snakes was a Gamecube exclusive, wasn't it?

Sep 7, 2007
Yeah shame MGS 1 isn't included, seems strange. I think I will have to invest in it, I have some game vouchers (But they don't appear to have it for some reason :S ) So will wait for it to come in stock and make the investment I think :D Loved MGS 3!

EDIT: Just took the plunge, 32 quid second hand (Game had no new copies so I thought sod it.)

Looking forward to playing tomorrow... Damn valentines day :(

EDIT EDIT: Finally played it, is a great reminder as to why I loved MGS3, and the HD upscale is good (Not improved graphically however).

However the controls are tragic, I don't remember being this frustrated last time round, I see an enemy and genuinely don't know what to do, I can't remember how to grab people too :(

Last edited:

Molo316

Master Guru
Jul 4, 2009
BRITAIN
www.fernanzr.uk.tt
[QUOTE="yourmumsface17, post: 5770084]Yeah shame MGS 1 isn't included, seems strange. I think I will have to invest in it, I have some game vouchers (But they don't appear to have it for some reason :S ) So will wait for it to come in stock and make the investment I think :D Loved MGS 3!

EDIT: Just took the plunge, 32 quid second hand (Game had no new copies so I thought sod it.)

Looking forward to playing tomorrow... Damn valentines day :(

EDIT EDIT: Finally played it, is a great reminder as to why I loved MGS3, and the HD upscale is good (Not improved graphically however).

However the controls are tragic, I don't remember being this frustrated last time round, I see an enemy and genuinely don't know what to do, I can't remember how to grab people too :([/QUOTE]
I can agree with this. I find it annoying that the square button is the fire (weapon) button. I can't really remember it being so with the PS2 version (MGS 2) but I assume it was. I'm so used to using R1 now (from CoD). Once I snuck up on an enemy to attack him and ended up shooting him at point-black range in the neck. It did the job but it just looked so amateur :lol:

But just to hear all the old music again and have all the old menus and such being exactly the same made me feel awesome! It's great to play the old games once again.

[video=youtube;ss9BSJ5A7sk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9BSJ5A7sk[/video]

I never got the chance to play MGS 3 when it was originally released, so I'm really looking forward to playing that.

Nitey

Elite Guru
Jan 17, 2011
[QUOTE="Molo316, post: 5776286]I never got the chance to play MGS 3 when it was originally released, so I'm really looking forward to playing that.[/QUOTE]

Aw you're gonna love it man. I wish I could play MGS3 again for the very first time, enjoy!

Molo316

Master Guru
Jul 4, 2009
BRITAIN
www.fernanzr.uk.tt
[QUOTE="Nitey, post: 5776296]Aw you're gonna love it man. I wish I could play MGS3 again for the very first time, enjoy![/QUOTE]
Cheers. I'm looking forward to it and always wanted to play it because the whole jungle environment just reminded me of Rambo :p

I'm trying to play them in chronological order (of release), so it'll probably take me a while to get through MGS 2 anyway.

Bio

Veteran
Aug 4, 2007
Battlefield
^That really throws you for a loop in terms of canonical order. Whatever you prefer, though.

[QUOTE="Blacksite, post: 5770035]I would imagine that they would have a hard time doing the HD conversion for a PlayStation title. Also, the Twin Snakes was a Gamecube exclusive, wasn't it?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Also, it's more likely they held off on it because they already released it on PSN anyways if I recall correctly. That is to assume it's still available there for purchase.

TGO

Ancient
Feb 26, 2006
purgatory
Its a must buy, and I know people say just for MGS3 alone, but after playing MGS3>MGS2
Wow...they cut a lot of stuff from MGS3 compared to 2, must of been a graphics engine limitation in 3, thou even the guards seem....not as animated? not sure what to call it, but MGS2 guards was a lot cleverer/stupid.
but nothing missing from the originals, thou playing MGS2 was a different experience this time round, yet another reason MGS2 is better imo

[QUOTE="Xelis, post: 5770027]Im getting it but i still dont understand why they didnt include Twin Snakes or at least the PS1 version.[/QUOTE]

Twin Snakes is like Snakes Revange to Kojima, Konami arranged it, Silicon Knights develop it, Kojima made MGS3
I think thats why there has been talks about KP remaking it, I don't think Kojima was satisfied with SK work
has nothing to do with exclusiveness, MGS3, PW, & SH3 wouldn't be in HD collections on 360 if that was the case.

Last edited:

Molo316

Master Guru
Jul 4, 2009
BRITAIN
www.fernanzr.uk.tt
[QUOTE="Bio, post: 5776328]^That really throws you for a loop in terms of canonical order. Whatever you prefer, though.

Yes. Also, it's more likely they held off on it because they already released it on PSN anyways if I recall correctly. That is to assume it's still available there for purchase.[/QUOTE]

So I should go MGS 3, Peace Walker, then 2?

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
Don't know if I will pick this up for Vita or PS3, but it's definitely going to find it's way into my library one way or another.

Sep 7, 2007
[QUOTE="Molo316, post: 5776286]I can agree with this. I find it annoying that the square button is the fire (weapon) button. I can't really remember it being so with the PS2 version (MGS 2) but I assume it was. I'm so used to using R1 now (from CoD). Once I snuck up on an enemy to attack him and ended up shooting him at point-black range in the neck. It did the job but it just looked so amateur :lol:

But just to hear all the old music again and have all the old menus and such being exactly the same made me feel awesome! It's great to play the old games once again.

[video=youtube;ss9BSJ5A7sk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9BSJ5A7sk[/video]

I never got the chance to play MGS 3 when it was originally released, so I'm really looking forward to playing that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's really fun, am up to the 2nd boss on MGS3, am taking my time on it.

The controls are just ... just horrific :lol: It's so difficult to actually stop and shoot someone, it makes me miss MGS 4 a lot.

It's a shame because I love it! How do I grab someone again? I have been given no instuctions on how to do it, and everytime I try they turn around or something.

Molo316

Master Guru
Jul 4, 2009
BRITAIN
www.fernanzr.uk.tt
[QUOTE="yourmumsface17, post: 5776560]Yeah it's really fun, am up to the 2nd boss on MGS3, am taking my time on it.

The controls are just ... just horrific :lol: It's so difficult to actually stop and shoot someone, it makes me miss MGS 4 a lot.

It's a shame because I love it! How do I grab someone again? I have been given no instuctions on how to do it, and everytime I try they turn around or something.[/QUOTE]

If it's the same as MGS 2, just press square on its own and you'll grab them around the neck. If you press square and a direction, you'll throw them.

AaronSOLDIER

Ultimate Veteran
Apr 5, 2007
forums.final7fantasy.com
[QUOTE="TGO, post: 5776348]Its a must buy, and I know people say just for MGS3 alone, but after playing MGS3>MGS2
Wow...they cut a lot of stuff from MGS3 compared to 2, must of been a graphics engine limitation in 3, thou even the guards seem....not as animated? not sure what to call it, but MGS2 guards was a lot cleverer/stupid.
but nothing missing from the originals, thou playing MGS2 was a different experience this time round, yet another reason MGS2 is better imo[/QUOTE]

So there is stuff missing from the originals? Will just stick with the PS2 versions then.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="Molo316, post: 5776581]If it's the same as MGS 2, just press square on its own and you'll grab them around the neck. If you press square and a direction, you'll throw them.[/QUOTE]

Its also pressure sensitive.

Nitey

Elite Guru
Jan 17, 2011
[QUOTE="yourmumsface17, post: 5776619]Can anyone confirm what the online is like? (On peace walker) Is it just Co-op or can you battle?[/QUOTE]

I'm fairly sure it's co-op, at least it was on the PSP version. If I remember correctly, some areas/missions can only be done co-operatively

Unfortunately no one I know was into PSP so I didn't get to play it. #foreveralone

Merchant

Elite Member
Jul 23, 2006
[QUOTE="Molo316, post: 5776482]So I should go MGS 3, Peace Walker, then 2?[/QUOTE]

I would play it in the order they were released. MGS2, MGS3, then peace walker.

Your order would be chronological to the time line, but I don't think the story is meant to be chronological. For example, Seeing the origin of Ocelot is a bigger thrill knowing who Ocelot is. Also, MGS3 makes subtle references to the other games that were released before it.

Molo316

Master Guru
Jul 4, 2009
BRITAIN
www.fernanzr.uk.tt
[QUOTE="Kakihara_Anjo, post: 5777234]I would play it in the order they were released. MGS2, MGS3, then peace walker.

Your order would be chronological to the time line, but I don't think the story is meant to be chronological. For example, Seeing the origin of Ocelot is a bigger thrill knowing who Ocelot is. Also, MGS3 makes subtle references to the other games that were released before it.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough - I am playing them in their order of release as originally planned.

TGO

Ancient
Feb 26, 2006
purgatory
[QUOTE="AaronSOLDIER, post: 5776599]So there is stuff missing from the originals? Will just stick with the PS2 versions then.[/QUOTE]

No, the HD versions are the same as the originals, I was referring to the difference between MGS3 & 2 in general, it's something I never noticed the first time I played them, I guess it's because MGS2 was the first released on PS2 so it had a lot of "PS2 next gen" stuff to show off, which they didn't bother with in MGS3

Sent from my Xperia Ray

Sir_Scud

Super Elite
Dec 30, 2007
A friend actually got me this collection as a gift. Besides PW, I had played MGS2 & 3 numerous times. Once I get my fill of PW I do plan on playing the other games. It has been awhile. I will say that I've had a lot of fun with PW. Shame it wasn't a full fledged PS3 version, because I really like the direction it took.