XBOX Microsoft Conference: June 10, 1 p.m. PT

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
I liked Gears when it was a bit more like Doom, and less like drama llama.

Captain issues orders to squad member, squad members response: "It's not about you, it's about me!"... quality... absolute quality.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
MS declared war to Sony. I see good days ahead for the gaming Industry.

What a great E3 show, and it seems that there's much more under the sleeve.

KungMartin90

Dedicated Member
Sep 6, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
I dunno man. Lots of interesting games, but not one exclusive really intrigued me. This was Xbox's chance to persuade me. Gears 5 looks decent I guess, but besides that, nothing really. Only games that interested me are non-exclusives so.

Can't wait for Sony conference. I'm dying to see TLoU2, Tsushima etc etc.

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
They needed those studios about two years ago but those are some damn good acquisitions. Wish we could have seen what Playground was working on.

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
I dunno man. Lots of interesting games, but not one exclusive really intrigued me. This was Xbox's chance to persuade me. Gears 5 looks decent I guess, but besides that, nothing really. Only games that interested me are non-exclusives so.

Can't wait for Sony conference. I'm dying to see TLoU2, Tsushima etc etc.
They aren't going to do anything radically different. And of course since they just announced 5 new internal game studios the work of those studios will take some time to come out.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
They needed those studios about two years ago but those are some damn good acquisitions. Wish we could have seen what Playground was working on.
''It's no secret that Microsoft's lack of exclusive games is partially to blame for the Xbox One lagging behind the PS4. To rectify this, the company's gone on a bit of a shopping spree, acquiring five studios under its Microsoft Studios umbrella. Four of these are existing outfits: Undead Labs (State of Decay), Playground Games (Forza Horizon), Ninja Theory (Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice) and Compulsion Games (We Happy Few). The fifth is an all-new studio called The Initiative headed by Darrell Gallagher, the former chief of Crystal Dynamics who spearheaded the Tomb Raider reboot and joined Microsoft back in April.''

https://www.engadget.com/2018/06/10/microsoft-bought-five-studios-to-fix-its-xbox-game-problem/

No Complaints from me on this.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Why did MS feel the need to specifically make note of their nextbox?

Wonder if Sony might be pulling the pin on an announcement, maybe? They did something similar when the Pro was announced.

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
Why did MS feel the need to specifically make note of their nextbox?

Wonder if Sony might be pulling the pin on an announcement, maybe? They did something similar when the Pro was announced.
Because it gives people an idea of what's coming/when to expect it.

Subtle way of building up long term hype.

KungMartin90

Dedicated Member
Sep 6, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
They aren't going to do anything radically different. And of course since they just announced 5 new internal game studios the work of those studios will take some time to come out.
We'll see man. Time will tell.

Also how many people picked up on the mention that the next xbox is under active development.
I actually didn't, interesting.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Because it gives people an idea of what's coming/when to expect it.

Subtle way of building up long term hype.
Yeah, but we already know its coming... just like we know a nextnextbox is coming.

How people feeling about the potential prospect of a new generation sometime soon?

Dec 20, 2006
7/10 show. Great pacing is mostly what gives it that score, which is better than what I rated past MS shows, but still weak as I rate exclusive showings the most highly and it was still very underwhelming in that aspect, most of those were timed exclusives being paraded as actual exclusives.

-Crackdown 3 was the most fun thing they showed. Their strongest exclusive for me.
-Ori 2 is one of the most beautiful games I've ever seen. I would love to play it, but I would not buy a console solely for it.
-Halo Infinite looked so lush, assuming it was in-game. It's a series in decline however and no gameplay was shown to counter that sentiment so I can't get too excited.
-Gears 5 confused me. Is this some side story? Marcus was old as hell in the last game. I can't get too excited about a damn spin-off. The acting was cringey too. Trying to make Gears more character and dialogue driven just reeks of chasing trends. The gameplay segments shown did not excite me.
-Acquiring Ninja Theory is a mini-megaton. I can't wait to see what they do next.
-The Division 2 looked like complete and utter trash, just like the first one. Seeing an extended gameplay of this detracted from the pacing of the show for me greatly.

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
A lot of rumbling around that Xbox One would be the last Xbox and MS would turn to services and not hardware. Seems Spencer wanted to squash that talk.

''It's no secret that Microsoft's lack of exclusive games is partially to blame for the Xbox One lagging behind the PS4. To rectify this, the company's gone on a bit of a shopping spree, acquiring five studios under its Microsoft Studios umbrella. Four of these are existing outfits: Undead Labs (State of Decay), Playground Games (Forza Horizon), Ninja Theory (Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice) and Compulsion Games (We Happy Few). The fifth is an all-new studio called The Initiative headed by Darrell Gallagher, the former chief of Crystal Dynamics who spearheaded the Tomb Raider reboot and joined Microsoft back in April.''

https://www.engadget.com/2018/06/10/microsoft-bought-five-studios-to-fix-its-xbox-game-problem/

No Complaints from me on this.
None whatsoever. Undead Labs and Playground are not surprising. The Initiative has been talked about as the new Santa Monica studio, but now with a name. Ninja Theory was the shocker for me. Did not see that coming. These studios give MS the dev chops they have been missing for some time. Nice to see.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
BTW... 8.5/10 for me...

But the important thing is... they're settling the foundations for what will be real, vicious competition against Sony, and that's the best possible thing for gamers.

I'm very, very hyped about the direction Microsoft is taking now.

PS. Btw, they're betting very high on Game Pass, and they confirmed the next Xbox is already in the works.

Dec 20, 2006
Oh yea and I'm totally disappointed with the artistic direction they took with DMC5, looks like that garbage Ninja Theory created, rather than the real Capcom DMC.
I totally agree. I was awaiting DMC5 for so long and then they finally show it and it...looked nothing like I hoped. Very disappointed.

Character designs are awful, like Enslaved from Ninja Theory awful.