XBOX Microsoft Conference: June 10, 1 p.m. PT

Dec 20, 2006
I missed the whole conference. I'll get started on it in a few. I haven't read any post yet lol.
Knowing you over the years and how highly you rate exclusives (like me), you won't find much to be impressed about.

They do seem to be laying the foundations for a greater future tho so kudos to them. What's here in the now however, is very underwhelming.

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
Yeah, but we already know its coming... just like we know a nextnextbox is coming.

How people feeling about the potential prospect of a new generation sometime soon?
We just had speculation. Now we have an actual confirmation. And I wouldn't say soon either. Estimated put it in 2020 at the earliest, possibly even 2021. (Though I'm leaning towards 2020 based on this mention) And a 7-8 year long console generation is within the norm.

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
7/10 show. Great pacing is mostly what gives it that score, which is better than what I rated past MS shows, but still weak as I rate exclusive showings the most highly and it was still very underwhelming in that aspect, most of those were timed exclusives being paraded as actual exclusives.

-Crackdown 3 was the most fun thing they showed. Their strongest exclusive for me.
-Ori 2 is one of the most beautiful games I've ever seen. I would love to play it, but I would not buy a console solely for it.
-Halo Infinite looked so lush, assuming it was in-game. It's a series in decline however and no gameplay was shown to counter that sentiment so I can't get too excited.
-Gears 5 confused me. Is this some side story? Marcus was old as hell in the last game. I can't get too excited about a damn spin-off. The acting was cringey too. Trying to make Gears more character and dialogue driven just reeks of chasing trends. The gameplay segments shown did not excite me.
-Acquiring Ninja Theory is a mini-megaton. I can't wait to see what they do next.
-The Division 2 looked like complete and utter trash, just like the first one. Seeing an extended gameplay of this detracted from the pacing of the show for me greatly.
No reason to say Halo is in decline considering how popular it still is. If anything it is the typical shooter franchises like Battlefield and COD that are in decline. (at least when it comes to quality/story/gameplay)

Gears 5 is a direct sequel to 4. What was shown in the trailer makes perfect sense if you played 4 and have a basic understanding of the gears universe.

Dec 20, 2006
Um. No. It is in decline because its selling less and being rated less than in the past. COD and BF take up far more mindshare than Halo does, Halo can point towards those two as the main reasons for its decline.

It's no juggernaut 90+ MC rating game anymore. At this point even a series like Uncharted (which I can't stand btw), is bigger than Halo.

And fair enough on Gears.

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
Um. No. It is in decline because its selling less and being rated less than in the past. COD and BF take up far more mindshare than Halo does, Halo can point towards those two as the main reasons for its decline.

It's no juggernaut 90+ MC rating game anymore. At this point even a series like Uncharted (which I can't stand btw), is bigger than Halo.

That does not mean that the series is in decline by itself. It means that there are many more games competing for the attention of consumers. Just look at the popularity of several multiplayer focused games like PUBG/Fortnite and the like.

When you only have so much money and time you will pick the games that are most time sensitive which tend to be multiplayer focused and not necessarily have as solid of a fanbase. This is why microsoft is pushing gamepass so hard. To partly alleviate the cost concern for the consumer making some guaranteed money for themselves on a regular basis.

Regarding ratings, that is affect by various factors. New studio. New game ideas not necessarily being well received. No longer ovverating games like in the past. And techinical issues play a much more significant role these days than in the past.

Also when you have a new COD/BF game every year or 2 they will of course get more attention than a game that comes out every 3-4 years. Not to mention the DLC updates which are like mini game releases.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
A lot of rumbling around that Xbox One would be the last Xbox and MS would turn to services and not hardware. Seems Spencer wanted to squash that talk.

None whatsoever. Undead Labs and Playground are not surprising. The Initiative has been talked about as the new Santa Monica studio, but now with a name. Ninja Theory was the shocker for me. Did not see that coming. These studios give MS the dev chops they have been missing for some time. Nice to see.
I think Ninja Theory in their Youtube Video put it best when they said that being bought up by a studio like Microsoft, and having the creative freedom means that they can take more risks with what they do, something that they have not been able to do until now. They went on to talk about how they would take smaller projects until they raised enough money to go on and make Hellblade, and even then, that was a game that was done by a team of 20.

What some of these developers now have is a far bigger budget than anything they have ever had and the ability to take risks they never have and access to Microsoft's entire pool of expertise. The purchase of Ninja Theory and the building of the Initiative if they are anything to go by is to fill the void where Microsoft lacks action and action adventure games. Buying Playground games and them having a new game they are developing, and Undead Labs gives the assurance to gamers that there is no danger of these companies being bought out by another publisher or tying themselves up to long term agreements that mean Microsoft need to look elsewhere for other partnerships. This is something that they did not do with Bizarre or Bioware, it is something that they could have done with Digital Illusions too.

That Playground is working on something different is a positive, and I personally do not know what to expect of Compulsion or Undead Labs going forward.

That Microsoft has expanded their studios is great, and that is one thing I have wanted to see for several years now. It also brings them full circle in that they have improved the services, improved on the hardware, and they are now improving on the software. It is a time where one cannot help but feel excited.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under

Its a new engine for Halo, I'm guessing that's why its been taking so long.

Jun 4, 2007
Knowing you over the years and how highly you rate exclusives (like me), you won't find much to be impressed about.

They do seem to be laying the foundations for a greater future tho so kudos to them. What's here in the now however, is very underwhelming.
That's exactly how I felt about it after watching.

I look forward to xbox 2 now that gaming is their focus again. It'll be backwards compatible with the xbone so I won't miss out on any potential great games that may drop. I hope these new studios step up to the challenge with their future titles.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
We all knew 2018 wasn't the target for the new Triple A games. At least I had that clear.

Anyway, I forgot about something... I think this is the first time they close with a Multiplatform game... that was kinda awkward.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
We all knew 2018 wasn't the target for the new Triple A games. At least I had that clear.

Anyway, I forgot about something... I think this is the first time they close with a Multiplatform game... that was kinda awkward.
They closed with Anthem last year.

There is something I said in the Xbox Forum, that when Microsoft announces something, there will always be a comment that takes it somewhere else. There were people who were complaining about their first party offering, and there was talk that they were opening a new studio for AAA games and how long that might take.

What they have done today is shown that 343 is working on something, and that it has a name. They have shown that Crackdown is going to come out next year (I worry for this game to be honest, and I like that they are not rushing it), we know that they is a Forza Horizon coming out and that Playground is working on another open world game, that The Coalition is working on Gears 5 that will most likely launch next year and they are have added Initiative, Undead Labs, Ninja Theory, and Compulsion (did not know that their lead used to work on Bioshock).

We were talking one studio, but they have bolstered their first party lineup by five. This is something that sets them up well going forward so long as these teams deliver, and it is no longer a matter of talking about when will they add something, it is now about what are these teams working on. And you know that Rare will have something, same as Turn 10.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
This year they improved a lot compared to their previous E3's with improvement of more third party support.
Exclusive wise they didn't do much on that department and acquiring studios was a positive. Vesperia going to be on all current gen consoles so now I can sell my 360. DMC5 just looks more like the reboot prefer the original CG style. Cyberpunk 2077 and Sekiro are the two games that highly interest me. Kingdom Hearts 3 Frozen world 100% expected and the end of that trailer screw you Nomura.

Sticking with the consoles I own atm.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
No reason to say Halo is in decline considering how popular it still is.
I would agree that Halo is and has been declining in popularity. Halo was once had a massive online community much like Call of Duty. Now it seems the game is there for the campaign. And sadly, the campaign has not been good since Halo 3.

On another note, I feel Microsoft had a pretty good conference this year.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
I would agree that Halo is and has been declining in popularity. Halo was once had a massive online community much like Call of Duty. Now it seems the game is there for the campaign. And sadly, the campaign has not been good since Halo 3.

On another note, I feel Microsoft had a pretty good conference this year.
This is a strange comparison.

We get an annual refresh of CoD, and most of the CoD games are poor in the way stages are constructed despite Activision having three teams working on this game which should have ensured far better quality, and this is compared to a game that last saw it on console in 2015.

This is being compared to Halo? Halo 5 was the fastest selling Halo when they released Halo 5, and it is not likely that you will see a game maintain its numbers online when there are titles that are getting yearly refreshes.

Jun 4, 2007
Halo 6 is far out. Could mean 2019 or 2020. I really want them to get it together with the campaign because halo 4 and halo 5 campaigns were ass. I have no concerns at all with mulitplayer.

Gears 5 picking up from Gears 4 is expected. I didn't like any of the new characters from Gears 4. The trailer didn't move me at all. There should have been more gameplay

Crackdown 3 - I do not understand why they showed that trailer. You're having constant delays but your trailer doesn't show anything to get people hyped. Where the fuck is the multiplayer demo?

Forza Horizion 4 - I'm not into racers. I skipped through its presentation. It should be a great title given how FH3 turned out.

--------
Playground Games: They should have been picked up by MS. Great purchase but it doesn't fix their issues because they already made exclusives for MS.

Undead Labs: State of Decay 3 should be on the table. It can be so much more now that they actually have AAA funding. An interesting purchase due to them finally having AAA funding. Hiring new engineers should be the first thing they expand on.

Ninja Theory: They've had AAA funding in the past and those games were mediocre to average at best. They have a lot to prove now that they have AAA funding again.

The Initiative: I don't really have much to say about this. I hope they're creating their own engine designed specifically for the xbone.

Compulsion Games: I have no clue what to expect from them with AAA funding.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
Ninja Theory: They've had AAA funding in the past and those games were mediocre to average at best. They have a lot to prove now that they have AAA funding again.
Ninja Theory just made Hellblade which is a hell of a game, with mediocre funds. Its "User Rating" is higher than its meta and that's a very good signal for any game. Ninja Theory has a LOT of talent in their hands.

As for the other studios, we will have to wait and see what they can offer. MS is not just taking them as they are but also giving them the resources (both material and human) to become bigger houses. This is a mid to long term strategy. It took Sony more than 8 years to build this up... remember first games from Guerrilla and Insomniac were very mediocre. Sony also had its share of closed studios like Zipper Interactive (SOCOM), Liverpool Studio (Wipeout, Formula One), Evolution Studios (Motorstorm) and Guerrilla Cambridge.

Right now, Sony's AAA producers are Naughty Dog, Guerrilla Games and Santa Monica with a big support from a 3rd party like Insomniac.

Others have diminished their quality or not given the expected results, such as Polyphony (largely surpassed by Turn 10) and Sucker Punch.

We'll have to see how Bend Studios does with Days Gone... I have mixed feeling about that game and it's gonna be their first PS4 title. They might not hit the nail but it's understandable, game developing take a lot of time to master and a lot of talent.

There are also other studios doing mixed things like VR or sub AAA games Manchester, Pixel Opus, Forward Works...

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
Halo 6 is far out. Could mean 2019 or 2020. I really want them to get it together with the campaign because halo 4 and halo 5 campaigns were ass. I have no concerns at all with mulitplayer.

Gears 5 picking up from Gears 4 is expected. I didn't like any of the new characters from Gears 4. The trailer didn't move me at all. There should have been more gameplay

Crackdown 3 - I do not understand why they showed that trailer. You're having constant delays but your trailer doesn't show anything to get people hyped. Where the fuck is the multiplayer demo?

Forza Horizion 4 - I'm not into racers. I skipped through its presentation. It should be a great title given how FH3 turned out.

--------
Playground Games: They should have been picked up by MS. Great purchase but it doesn't fix their issues because they already made exclusives for MS.

Undead Labs: State of Decay 3 should be on the table. It can be so much more now that they actually have AAA funding. An interesting purchase due to them finally having AAA funding. Hiring new engineers should be the first thing they expand on.

The Initiative: I don't really have much to say about this. I hope they're creating their own engine designed specifically for the xbone.

Compulsion Games: I have no clue what to expect from them with AAA funding.
There was nothing wrong with Halo campaign in terms of gameplay in Halo 4 or 5. What was not there was the rich storytelling that had been part and parcel of the universe. There was nothing wrong with the multiplayer either.......people that have actually owned these consoles, and actually played these games would know as much.

When it comes to Gears of War 5, I like what they are trying to do especially when it comes to ramping up the story, they are changing the formula by having a female lead. Who knows, maybe that gives us something more emotional on that end.......and it looks sick. Doubt there will be anything that holds a candle to it when it finally launches.

Will not comment on Crackdown 3, will be waiting to see what happens with it when it launches, but honestly I worry for it at this moment in time.

When it comes to the studios.

1) They needed to buy some of the studios seeing how they have had partnerships with studios only to see them bought up by a third party entity. They ought to have bought Bioware, DICE and possibly tried for Remedy this generation before they embarked on something new. There is never going to be a situation in gaming where a publisher gets a promising developer and that is spun as a negative as to what that means for its development teams.

2) Microsoft buying Playground is something that was needed, especially with the news that they have a new development team making a new open world game. It is no different to what Sony did when they acquired a studio that had a partnership with them for so long in Naughty Dog. Horizon is one of the best racing series on console, outside GT and the mainline Forza series, there is not other top tier console racer that essentially rivals what they are doing in terms of quality or sales. If their new development team can hit the ground running and get some quality title out, then this is something that cannot be a negative....refer to point 1 in bold.

3) Undead Labs - I am with you on this. They have created a game that seems to have a large following despite having issues. They now have the backing, and support on a technical level that they may have never had when they were making their first two games. I would love to see what their next game in a few years time looks like.

4) Ninja Theory - In 2005, Sony took it upon themselves to buy Guerrilla Games. At that point, this studio had not done anything great. They had tried making a game that could rival Halo in Killzone, on the Playstation 2, and had not done anything else worth mention. Sony was already publishing some of their projects before they bought them out in 2005, and it would be post that merger that they would bring out Killzone on the PSP, and the hit gold with Killzone 2 and Killzone 3. Shadowfall was not great, but it was a solid game at the start of this generation for Sony before they knocked it out of the park with HZD.

This is similar to what happened with Microsoft when they bought out Bungie. At that time, the only game I had come across from Bungie was Oni, and while it was good, it was not great. I did not know what to expect from Bungie having decided to buy the Xbox due to another franchise. Look at how that worked out. This is a tale that can be repeated for so many developers, even second party that have struggled once they left Sony or MS to try and find their footing elsewhere.

What Ninja Theory is today is a developer that has been making games rated around where Killzone Shadowfall was; they tried getting it big with Heavenly Sword (a game I played), and slightly improved on it with Enslaved. What they did with Hellblade which is one of the best games out this generation not only from the theme (risky), narrative and the barriers they had to tackle to develop that one game is possibly one of the best stories to come out this generation. All this was done by 20 developers, on a modest budget of 10 million that included marketing. It is not like they are a worthless developer. Who knows, maybe they grow from strength to strength with MS backing, maybe they put out a game with a rating of 85% first time of asking then build on that. It is hardly a loss for a console that has been lacking story driven games.

5) The Initiative - Hard to talk about what they are going to be doing when nothing other than who is heading the studio has been revealed. What gives me confidence in this team is that Microsoft has built teams from the ground up before and that the man at the helm was key in what Crystal Dynamics did when they got Tomb Raider back to being absolute quality. They are the one team that is possibly furthest away from having a game out, but the addition of the new teams is something that buys them time to try and come up with something of quality.

6) When it comes to Compulsion, I am with you. I do not know what to expect, but reading that some of their staff worked on Bioshock is something that makes me happy because I really enjoyed Bioshock, and Bioshock 2. The idea here seems to be that Microsoft is looking to invest in story driven games, something that they have been lacking.

So why can we not give them time to see what they are going to come out with in the coming few years? Maybe we will get to see a game or two from these studios teased next E3; my money would be on Playground and Ninja Theory.

Will end on this note; there will never be a negative to a publisher adding development teams, there will never be a negative when the publisher believes that there is promise in some of these teams. You take the risk and see how it pans out.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
Another big hit from Microsoft. GAMEPASS:

What games have been added to Xbox Game Pass this month?
Games coming soon:
  • Ashen (TBC)
  • Warhammer Vermintide 2 (TBC)
  • Phoenix Point (TBC)
  • Afterparty (TBC)
  • Forza Horizon 4 (October 2nd, 2018)
  • Crackdown 3 (February 2019)
  • Gears 5 (2019)
  • Battletoads (2019)
Games added during E3 2018:
  • Fallout 4 (Xbox One)
  • The Division (Xbox One)
  • Elder Scrolls Online (Xbox One)

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
So MS has more than one new console being built.

Picks on an "base" model capable of 1080 and game streaming and "Elite" 4k model?
Technically that could mean just having multiple storage configurations for the next console.

Doesn't make sense to fragment the userbase with 2 different consoles with differing capability.

They might offer a slightly cheaper console version without an optical drive, but that is the biggest difference I could see.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
Seing as I marekd SOnys, Ill give MS a score as well...

Exclusive content shown 6/10
Multiplat content shown 5/5
Presentation 4/5

I guess that 15/20 or a 7.5

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
So MS has more than one new console being built.

Picks on an "base" model capable of 1080 and game streaming and "Elite" 4k model?
This would be a strange way to go. Why release a new console that would do less than the XB1X at a time when 4k TV sets are becoming cheap?

I can get the appeal of trying to get something out that is cheaper to try and get more players into the ecosystem, but all of these can be achieved on one console just by having player option, or having the console automatically sense what is the screen resolution and choosing that on default. They have done this before.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
What other exclusives does the xbone have besides Forza Horzion 4 this year?
Heres the full breakdown of the 50 games

Exclusive
Halo
Ori
Crackdown 3
Sea of theives DLC
Forza Horizon 4
Battletoads
Gears 5

Launch Exclusive
We Happy few
PUBG: Expansion
Outer Worlds
Below
Waking
Ashen
Session
Black Desert
Cuphead DLC
Tunic

Multi
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Fallout 76
Captain Spirit
Nier:Automata
Metro
Kingdom Heart 3
Battelfield V
Tales of Vesperia
Division 2
After Party
Kingdom Two Crowns
Golf Club 2019
WH:Vermintide
Fringe Wars
Conquerors Blade
Raji
Super Meat Boy: Forever
Planet Alpha
Islands of Nyne
Sable
Harold Halibat
Bomber Crew
Children of Morta
The Wind Road
War Groove
Generation Zero
Dead Cells
Tombraider
DMC 5
Jump Force
Dying Light 2
Just Cause 4
Cyber Punk

I suspect one of the Mulits is a launch exclusive as they said 18 and I have only 17. But I cannot tell you which one.