Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to your machine 'just in case'

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6475619]It's okay. I still love you. <3

The only thing I liked about XP was the UI customization ... but that's not really something I care about these days. It was quick too, but it showed its age very quickly.[/QUOTE]

That's what I liked about it was how quick it was. It didn't take much memory to run. Vista started the process of upping past 2gb to get a stable platform. Of course looking back now it it doesn't seem like that blog of a deal but then it kind of was 7 especially was.i have a cheap laptop with 2gb in it. I just never upgraded it because its simply used for storage and files but it bogs down with 7 at times. XP was my favorite simply because it got the job done. The more frills they add to Windows the more I hate it. That's why I hate 8 so much. It's a bunch of unneeded mobile redesigned bullshit where PC took a back seat. I don't have much confidence in their OS anymore because of that and the fact they keep trying to get their Surface to be the GO to tablet. Which means mobile is always going to be a big deal in the the dev process. Honestly that's just a terrible move IMO. Make separate platforms and use the biggest highlights for both without enfringing on each other.

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
[QUOTE="PS4freak, post: 6475680]That's what I liked about it was how quick it was. It didn't take much memory to run. Vista started the process of upping past 2gb to get a stable platform. Of course looking back now it it doesn't seem like that blog of a deal but then it kind of was 7 especially was.i have a cheap laptop with 2gb in it. I just never upgraded it because its simply used for storage and files but it bogs down with 7 at times. XP was my favorite simply because it got the job done. The more frills they add to Windows the more I hate it. That's why I hate 8 so much. It's a bunch of unneeded mobile redesigned bull$#@! where PC took a back seat. I don't have much confidence in their OS anymore because of that and the fact they keep trying to get their Surface to be the GO to tablet. Which means mobile is always going to be a big deal in the the dev process. Honestly that's just a terrible move IMO. Make separate platforms and use the biggest highlights for both without enfringing on each other.[/QUOTE]

The OS has gotten leaner from 7 to 8 to 10.

Considering that laptops outsell desktops, it warrants attention in regards to an OS.

Surface is a fully functional PC so I don't see what the issue is.

With your last sentence you basically want an apple style system. You did see the ipad pro announcement, right. A similarly priced tablet to the surface that is nowhere near as useful.

MS has a better approach, use the same base for all their OS's so apps are universal/easily ported.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="MATRIX 2, post: 6475738]The OS has gotten leaner from 7 to 8 to 10.

Considering that laptops outsell desktops, it warrants attention in regards to an OS.

Surface is a fully functional PC so I don't see what the issue is.

With your last sentence you basically want an apple style system. You did see the ipad pro announcement, right. A similarly priced tablet to the surface that is nowhere near as useful.

MS has a better approach, use the same base for all their OS's so apps are universal/easily ported.[/QUOTE]

When I say mobile I more meant touch. Sorry for the confusion. The whole start page or whatever you want to call that was designed for touch screen. Yes it worked with M&KB but it wasn't designed with that in mind. Not to mention removing the start button then later patching it. It just screamed, hey we got this cool new touch inspired OS for surface and it'll be for PC too. But hey if they found a happy medium for 10 that's great. 8 was a huge drop off in the Windows name in my book. But I guess I just need to go somewhere and check out 10.

As for Apple...hell no! I've always hated their OS. Not to mention the are over priced as hell. Paying for the name and the hip factor there. I realized after owning an iPhone for years that Apple has one plan, maintain hype from year to year without much innovation. But good for people that like Apple, im not one of them. That OS layout annoys the shit out of me.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
What innovation are you seeking exactly for their phones? There's only so much you can do with a phone these days except bump up the specs and improve the camera. And the iPhone 5S still beats the S6 in graphical performance ... which I find sad ... and they just increased GPU performance by 70% ... 90% for the CPU in the 6S. That's a much larger bump than usual. They may have lagged behind hardware-wise before, but lately they are definitely leading in the performance department. The iPhone OS is definitely a different experience ... but it is more secure and less prone to fuckery like Android. And it's very difficult to brick an iPhone. Most of the time you are able to restore the phone via iTunes with a fresh OS download ... something you can't really do on Android. Not only that ... when Apple releases OS upgrades ... they come out instantly for all iOS platforms. You're not waiting at the mercy of your phone carrier to release an OS update for your phone. You always get day one upgrades. Not only that ... the adoption rate for iOS is usually around 80-90% ... on Android it's around 5% ... pretty much only the latest flagship devices get the latest OS updates ... and even then you still have to wait for carriers to approve upgrades. It's just a whole mess of things I'd rather not deal with. I'm impatient. So support on iOS is better for apps because of the high adoption rate across all devices. Developers prefer iOS. They also make more money on iOS. I don't have beef with Android ... I think it's a nice phone OS, but I prefer stability, support, security, and timely upgrades. I have my share of gripes with iPhones, but the benefits outweigh them for me.

As for the OS, I love OS X ... and the latest OS (coming out the 30th) is buttery smooth and a joy to work with (I'm in the beta program). It might not be your thing, but that doesn't mean it sucks. My workflow depends on OS X. I feel unproductive as hell in Windows. I use Windows mainly for gaming and not much else.

There's more than just a "hip factor" ... Believe it or not, some people actually use them for work. I do agree they are overpriced ... but there really isn't a comparable laptop of the same build quality as a Mac laptop. And their iMacs are just gorgeous ... but I'd never buy one because I don't like the idea of what's supposed to be a desktop being powered by mobile parts. For that reason ... I always stick with building Hackintoshes. They build beautiful things, though.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6476458]What innovation are you seeking exactly for their phones? There's only so much you can do with a phone these days except bump up the specs and improve the camera. And the iPhone 5S still beats the S6 in graphical performance ... which I find sad ... and they just increased GPU performance by 70% ... 90% for the CPU in the 6S. That's a much larger bump than usual. They may have lagged behind hardware-wise before, but lately they are definitely leading in the performance department. The iPhone OS is definitely a different experience ... but it is more secure and less prone to fuckery like Android. And it's very difficult to brick an iPhone. Most of the time you are able to restore the phone via iTunes with a fresh OS download ... something you can't really do on Android. Not only that ... when Apple releases OS upgrades ... they come out instantly for all iOS platforms. You're not waiting at the mercy of your phone carrier to release an OS update for your phone. You always get day one upgrades. Not only that ... the adoption rate for iOS is usually around 80-90% ... on Android it's around 5% ... pretty much only the latest flagship devices get the latest OS updates ... and even then you still have to wait for carriers to approve upgrades. It's just a whole mess of things I'd rather not deal with. I'm impatient. So support on iOS is better for apps because of the high adoption rate across all devices. Developers prefer iOS. They also make more money on iOS. I don't have beef with Android ... I think it's a nice phone OS, but I prefer stability, support, security, and timely upgrades. I have my share of gripes with iPhones, but the benefits outweigh them for me.

As for the OS, I love OS X ... and the latest OS (coming out the 30th) is buttery smooth and a joy to work with (I'm in the beta program). It might not be your thing, but that doesn't mean it sucks. My workflow depends on OS X. I feel unproductive as hell in Windows. I use Windows mainly for gaming and not much else.

There's more than just a "hip factor" ... Believe it or not, some people actually use them for work. I do agree they are overpriced ... but there really isn't a comparable laptop of the same build quality as a Mac laptop. And their iMacs are just gorgeous ... but I'd never buy one because I don't like the idea of what's supposed to be a desktop being powered by mobile parts. For that reason ... I always stick with building Hackintoshes. They build beautiful things, though.[/QUOTE]

I owned an iPhone 3g and 4s and I was done. It wasn't so much the OS enhancements, it was the fucking screen. The phone remained relatively unchanged for 5 version. The it took them forever to make the screen bigger. That was the biggest turn off to me when everyone else had screens going over 5 inches and that damn thing was 3.75 and they changed it in the worst possible way IMO. Made it longer and not proportional. These are just my personal gripes. But that's how I see their phones. They are criticized so much for it that they made it a point in their new marketing campaign for 6S. The what's changed? Commercial. As for the comparison, I just don't like iOS because it's like your parent regulating how you use your phone. Android just has much more personalization options. At least they always have. Haven't dived too deep in the latest iOS. As for the Updates, it's definitely a trade off but it's a known risk going in unless you buy a nexus. They are always updated with the latest. Usually if you buy a major flagship phone you will be fine. I think the devs prefer iOS because it's a closed platform. It works universally between Apple devices. The amount of Android devices are ridiculous. You can't make a perfect app for all devices. But it's all preference. Im not going to sit here and say it's garbage. It's quality but I just don't like the simple factor. I like being able customize my layout more and I love the hardware and aesthetics of my LG G4. Just all around solid phone with arguable the best camera on the market.

As for Apple OS, i never said it sucked. Personally I hate it. But you can't like say buying an apple computer you arent paying more because of the name and the sleek cool factor. There are other PCs out there that have much better specs and much lower price tags. But I know they have practical uses but their target demo is 18-30. Apple does an amazing job pushing their products so they know better than me but I just don't have much for their products. I wouldn't completely be against a new iPhone especially since now the entire phone can't fit with the screen of my phone. True story with 4S. Lol but I just don't think I want to go back to iOS. I made that jump and im happy with it. I was worried I would like it but I loved My GS4 from the start. So I recently reupped with the LG. I guess if we going to discuss this more we should make an iOS vs Android vs Windows Phone thread.

Last edited:

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Things have changed dramatically since the 4S, lol. But yes ... the fact that it took them so many generations to make the screen bigger is frustrating. They're a bit arrogant when it comes to change sometimes, but they've been listening a lot more to the customers lately. But I've had bigger Android phones (the Galaxy ... the Nexus ... etc.) and I was not enjoying the OS as much as iOS. So I came back to the iPhone with the 5S. And now I get to enjoy an iPhone with a bigger screen (finally).

I used to be a big fan of customization ... and I've customized my iPhone a lot due to jailbreaking ... but now I just want things to be simpler ... I just want to get things done. I don't want to have to do any "maintenance" ... when something goes wrong with Android it's not fun. iPhone issues are a lot easier to address. I did a lot of "rooting" on the Android as well ... and was a big fan of Cyanogen Mod and all the other flavors of custom OS mods. But there was always a chance of bricking the phone. It's very hard to brick an iPhone.

I understand the allure of wanting to customize your phone ... and jailbreaking just to be able to do that is kind of silly. Even though jailbreaking an iPhone takes less than 1 minute and requires pushing a button ... it's still an unnecessary step. That and you can't upgrade your phone until a new jailbreak for a newer OS is released.

I've had "major flagship" phones and you're still at the mercy of the carrier for releasing updates ... even with phones like the Nexus with vanilla Android. You are definitely much better off with the latest and greatest, though ... but I suppose that goes with any phone. I just don't like waiting and I don't like reading news update OS updates being pushed back.

The LG G4 definitely has a solid camera. I wanna see a comparison to the new 6S camera. The 4K video is also looking quite nice on the 6S. They've improved low light levels quite a big as well.

But ... that's why we have choices. And I'm glad we have them. I wouldn't want there to only be iPhones or Androids or ... god forbid ... Blackberries. Remember when those were cool? lol

Plus ... competition breeds better technology. Companies are always trying to 1-up each other and that's always good for us ... the consumers.

Anyway yeah ... we're going off topic. Speaking of Windows 10 ... LOL @ Windows phones. :/ Talk about lack of support.

sainraja

Forum Sage
Jun 16, 2006
www.hussainraja.com
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6475357]Seeing how it is a free OS upgrade, it makes perfect sense to have your machine download this free upgrade/update if you have auto updates turned on.[/QUOTE]

Although I can see why some people can see that as an exception; Windows 10 is a new operating system - to have it be treated the same as an update is a little deceiving.

darky89

Forum Sage
Dec 3, 2007
In the bushes.
[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6476505]Anyway yeah ... we're going off topic. Speaking of Windows 10 ... LOL @ Windows phones. :/ Talk about lack of support.[/QUOTE]
With Microsoft making Windows 10 uniform across devices, app support should improve a lot. And the marketplace isn't that bad, I didn't find myself wanting for much... but I'm not an app heavy user anyway.

I'm using an iPhone 4S at the moment, and honestly, I don't like the OS at all. I really really miss my Windows Phone. I'm hoping with Windows 10 there will be a Windows Phone that fits my needs, i.e. is small. I have tiny hands so anything with a screen bigger than what my Lumia had (3.8inch) is uncomfortable for me :(