Microsoft Pre-GDC press conference announcements (All in OP)

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="claud3, post: 5454581]Gta 5, forza 4, skyrim to name a few, are extremely stronge games for ms and i know forza is a ms game.

but e3 just creeping towards us slowly and gives them plenty of time to increase their appeal and improve the future line up's come e3[/QUOTE]

Indeed... Looking forward to seeing some forza 4 myself. They have a lot of momentum going into E-3. Good exclusives and x-box live goodies too.

U

UberMadness

[QUOTE="Soldier 95B, post: 5454569]It also seems that Crytek has been throwing some bones towards MS with their timed exclusive beta of Crysis 2, and their upcoming Codename: Kingdoms exclusive. Maybe we will see more from them at the next conference. Maybe it's a new future of other games to come the 360 way as well. Seems like a good combination.[/QUOTE]

i am liking that term.

Timed exclusive beta.

dont forget timed exclusive Demo which was just released.

S

Soldier 95B

[QUOTE="claud3, post: 5454655]What do we expect between now and E3, and also at E3[/QUOTE]
Just to be safe, don't expect anything at E3 either.

claud3

Power Member
Feb 11, 2009
Agartha
www.facebook.com
to expect is to unexpect

at E3 we have to get grade A games from MS

E3 needs to be extra
special this year in my opinion. Last year and a few others never tickled my excitement as much as they should have

you all know what i mean. the last say 5 years its been a hit and miss line up and excitement level

Aug 12, 2008
tyneside
[QUOTE="Soldier 95B, post: 5454959]Just to be safe, don't expect anything at E3 either.[/QUOTE]

i cant see MS announcing anything for this year that will keep the whining hardcore happy, but i'm sure there will be plenty for those of us who just like playing games of all/most types.

Vulgotha

Power Member
Jan 6, 2007
[QUOTE="Yungstar 2006, post: 5456556]i cant see MS announcing anything for this year that will keep the whining hardcore happy, but i'm sure there will be plenty for those of us who just like playing games of all/most types.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be so quick to condemn the "whining hardcore"- they are the people who propped up the first Xbox and who kept the 360 afloat for the past years. They are the ones who brought Halo, Gears of War, and Call of Duty to prominence- some of the biggest franchises gaming has ever seen.

This also applies to Doom, Battlefield, Diablo, Starcraft, WoW, Killzone, Resistance, Uncharted, etc.. Pretty much defining gaming history.

The casual audience, while quite large and relatively easy to please, cannot keep a system such as the 360 afloat by themselves. They aren't the ones that made the system in the first place either.

The hardcore games make the headlines, push the boundaries of technology, and serve as the most robust forms of PR. They are also, quite typically, the ones which sell outstanding amounts.

Last edited:
U

UberMadness

[QUOTE="Vulgotha, post: 5456750]I wouldn't be so quick to condemn the "whining hardcore"- they are the people who propped up the first Xbox and who kept it afloat for the past few years.

The casual audience, while quite large and relatively easy to please, cannot keep a system such as the 360 afloat by themselves. They aren't the ones that made the system in the first place either.

The hardcore games make the headlines, push the boundaries of technology, and serve as the most robust forms of PR. They are also, quite typically, the ones which sell outstanding amounts.[/QUOTE]

i disagree...

why cant casuals keep 360 "afloat by themselves"??

they are selling plenty of games in casual market. and the best thing for MS and other dev is that it is so cheap to produce casual game.

you dont need to push boundaries of technology with casual. And sales wise, casual games are selling better or just as much.
Except that there are a lot less risk/cost involved in making casual games.

Vulgotha

Power Member
Jan 6, 2007
Casual gaming doesn't make headlines, it doesn't showcase new technology, it doesn't appeal to the huge community of hardcore gamers and for a system which has built itself upon that audience. It has also marketed itself as an "action console" with "great graphics" at a premium price tag (i.e. not very cheap).. It couldn't successfully carry out that transition.

Especially if the hardcore community for that console would migrate to competitors which would offer the experience they're looking for (PC or other).

Another factor are the developer themselves. These people make games because they love them- If you told Crytek, Bungie, Naughty Dog, Insomniac, ID (etc) that the only smart choice is to make very casual games for the casual audience and to drop their big blockbuster titles and huge, sophisticated, expensive engines in favor of this you're probably not only going to see a huge drop in morale but also alot fewer developers entering the field.

Last edited:
U

UberMadness

[QUOTE="Vulgotha, post: 5456766]Casual gaming doesn't make headlines, it doesn't showcase new technology, it doesn't appeal to the huge community of hardcore gamers and for a system which has built itself upon that audience. It has also marketed itself as an "action console" with "great graphics" at a premium price tag (i.e. not very cheap).. It couldn't successfully carry out that transition.

Especially if the hardcore community for that console would migrate to competitors which would offer the experience they're looking for (PC or other).[/QUOTE]

isnt Kinect bundle 300 bucks??

that is only about 50 bucks higher than what Wii originally costed.

Also, not pushing technology to boundary is better from business stand point... you invest less money.. lower risk and etc.

but you make just as much or more money.

and just look at this thread. these hardcore community is "royal" as some said. most of them wont dream of leaving Xbox.

Last edited:

Vulgotha

Power Member
Jan 6, 2007
Move isn't 300$ I have no idea where you got that idea.

Move also doesn't count as a "casual only" gaming device. Go look at SOCOM 4, Killzone 3, etc.

In addition, the Wii price was bloated for sure but it was also cheaper then the competitors at the time of release. ESPECIALLY the PS3. Nor were gamers overly familiar with the hardware\graphics involved at that point for the system.

Edit: I'm not going to fall into this trap. We should avoid bringing up competitor's products and titles in this thread.

Last edited: