Microsoft to bundle Xbox One consoles, Xbox Live, and Game Pass into a monthly subscription service

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/22/...x-all-access-xbox-one-x-services-subscription

Microsoft is planning to unveil an Xbox All Access service that will bundle the company’s Xbox One consoles with Xbox Live and Xbox Game Pass for a monthly fee. Codenamed Project Largo, Microsoft has been working towards the subscription service in recent months. Sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans tell The Verge that both the Xbox One S and Xbox One X will be offered as a subscription, and that Microsoft is planning to offer its Xbox One X bundled with Xbox Live Gold and Xbox Game Pass for $34.99 per month over 24 months.

The subscription will be available from Microsoft’s retail stores, and the company is also working with PC makers to try and offer this bundle elsewhere. Windows Central reported on Xbox All Access today, after I teased details of the new service three weeks ago. Microsoft will limit its Xbox All Access service to US consumers initially, but if it’s successful then it could appear in other markets in the future. Microsoft also offered a subsidized Xbox 360 bundle with Xbox Live Gold more than six years ago.

Microsoft is also working on a new Xbox accessory codenamed Washburn. The software maker had planned to unveil the $149 accessory at Gamescom this week, and accidentally teased an “all-new Xbox hardware” announcement before the company’s plans changed. The mysterious accessory is due to launch in October, just after Microsoft’s launch of Forza Horizon 4. It’s not an Xbox Elite successor, but expect the company to detail its new hardware accessory soon.

Hedon

Jan 19, 2018
No thanks. I am glad it's a choice for others, but I always upgrade my consoles, so I don't want to be locked. I hate subscription services as well.

sainraja

Forum Sage
Jun 16, 2006
www.hussainraja.com
It's good for those who like flexibility. More ways to get into the ecosystem and making that easier can't be a bad thing. This isn't for everyone but could get some people to jump in quicker – specially since subscription services are becoming a lot more common.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
So, that's $420 (roughly the price of the Xbox One X) in the first year. I think Xbox Live Gold and Game Pass would normally run you $180 altogether, or $120 if Game Pass also has a $60 for 12 months deal.

In other words, after one year, you would have paid $240 for the console, $60 for the online and $120 for the exclusive games.

After two years, a total of $840 spent... but you can divide it up between the console and services how you wish to see where you're getting the best deal.

Last edited:

sainraja

Forum Sage
Jun 16, 2006
www.hussainraja.com
Oh, so you're just essentially financing it with some extra benefits. Still a good option to have but I was thinking that they were doing a full-fledged subscription offer where as long as you pay a set monthly/annual fee....you get to enjoy all Xbox related services included.

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Yeah, I was thinking the same, sainraja. It isn't bad as far as interest-free financing, but you really don't save any money considering you can get Xbox Live Gold cheaper elsewhere. And this is only available at a physical Microsoft store in the US. Better deal would be to get a Best Buy credit card and finance the thing interest free over a year and then buy Live separately.

Hedon

Jan 19, 2018
Yeah, I was thinking the same, sainraja. It isn't bad as far as interest-free financing, but you really don't save any money considering you can get Xbox Live Gold cheaper elsewhere. And this is only available at a physical Microsoft store in the US. Better deal would be to get a Best Buy credit card and finance the thing interest free over a year and then buy Live separately.
I was reading at Resetera that this is limited time and they are testing it to even see that there is a demand for it before (if) they go full scale on making it more available to not just other countries, but other financing options.

For me, I like that it gives those that may not have the best budget skills to obtain this (like any credit option for that matter), but I would personally never do it. People are doing it daily with phones, which we know people are paying through the teeth for phones as it is.

Not trying to be political, but there is already so much debt in the US, I wish there were a better solution than giving consumers access to all this expensive stuff by extending credit. I used to have like 10 credit cards like 30 years ago and had them maxed out and paid minimum payments. It was killing me. Of course all is different know, I grew up, make money, manage just 2 credit cards, (Discover and AMEX) and maintain them with a zero balance, have NO loans outside of my home and pay cash for everything. I guess that is what happens when you get married, have children and get older :)

sainraja

Forum Sage
Jun 16, 2006
www.hussainraja.com
Well, financing is an option through retailers as well. I hope they do a subscription offering where you get the console and services for a set price (hopefully reasonable and profitable for them.)