Microsoft wants future Bethesda games to be “either first or better or best” on Xbox platforms, a senior executive has said.

Sep 10, 2005
And there you have it Folks,cant get more clear than this....

Speaking at the Jefferies Interactive Entertainment conference last week, Xbox chief financial officer Tim Stuart discussed how Microsoft intends to handle the release of Bethesda Softworks games once the Elder Scrolls, Fallout and Doom publisher becomes a first-party company.

Microsoft announced in September that it intends to acquire ZeniMax Media and its game publisher Bethesda Softworks for $7.5 billion, with the deal expected to be completed in early 2021.

“What we’ll do in the long run is we don’t have intentions of just pulling all of Bethesda content out of Sony or Nintendo or otherwise,” Stuar said (transcribed by Seeking Alpha).

“But what we want is we want that content, in the long run, to be either first or better or best or pick your differentiated experience, on our platforms. We will want Bethesda content to show up the best as — on our platforms.

“Yes. That’s not a point about being exclusive. That’s not a point about we’re being — adjusting timing or content or road map. But if you think about something like Game Pass, if it shows up best in Game Pass, that’s what we want to see, and we want to drive our Game Pass subscriber base through that Bethesda pipeline.

“So again, I’m not announcing pulling content from platforms one way or the other,” Stuart continued. “But I suspect you’ll continue to see us shift towards a first or better or best approach on our platforms.”
https://www.videogameschronicle.com...a-games-to-be-first-or-best-on-xbox-says-cfo/

Jun 4, 2007
I wouldn't buy a xbox for Bethesda's output but I would buy a few games if they were available on the PS5. No need to leave money on the table when their stuff is already mostly 3rd party.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
They probably make it exclusive to gamepass on streaming side of things and extra content exclusive for a year or so a longer period of time. But still allow games on Sony or Nintendo platforms.

NoUseMercenary

Staff member
Sep 17, 2005
Sounds like good news. So basically Elder Scrolls and Starfield and what not will have exclusive DLC or have the game launch first on Xbox consoles.

Won't affect me much though, as I'll probably buy these for PC anyways.

Jun 4, 2007
It appears that this news has ruffled some feathers. No need for that because...
The MS guy said “But what we want is we want that content, in the long run, to be either first or better or best or pick your differentiated experience, on our platforms. We will want Bethesda content to show up the best as — on our platforms."
You'll still get to play the "best" of those games xbox. You'll just get them alongside PS5 and Nintendo fans of course:giggle:. That's more money going back to those companies that will fund future titles. That's great news, right? Idk how anyone can be upset about this latest news unless they're a fanboy that wanted to use MS's company purchase as points in a console war. Remember Phil said that he doesn't care where you play his games as long as you support them. PS and Nintendo fans buy games. No subscriptions services needed. Come get this money, Phil.

May 20, 2008
It appears that this news has ruffled some feathers. No need for that because...

You'll still get to play the "best" of those games xbox. You'll just get them alongside PS5 and Nintendo fans of course:giggle:. That's more money going back to those companies that will fund future titles. That's great news, right? Idk how anyone can be upset about this latest news unless they're a fanboy that wanted to use MS's company purchase as points in a console war. Remember Phil said that he doesn't care where you play his games as long as you support them. PS and Nintendo fans buy games. No subscriptions services needed. Come get this money, Phil.
That's because Sony subscription service needed to go back to the drawing board. They wanted and needed but couldn't get it right without help from azure.

If Sony boys wanna invest in the Xbox ecosystem, go right ahead. Spend that money😝. Ill be playing those games using my gamepass subscription and saving some dough.

May 20, 2008
Most likely because they say GP model is not sustainable for them. Glad It is for MS. Saved so much money thanks to it.
They kinda suck at. Its clearly not one of the things they do best.

That's again debatable,and remains to be seen.I mean when they are about to give their fanboys an L,they need to say something that will appease them lol
Its clearly not a L if you get the competition to invest in your ecosystem. The zenimax purchase was a boss move. Stuff like that would put Sony in the poor house.😄 Its great for gamers though. It makes you Sony boys change the narrative. Now you gotta come up with something else besides the same old stuff about Ms first party studios.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2005
Its clearly not a L if you get the competition to invest in your ecosystem. The zenimax purchase was a boss move. Stuff like that would put Sony in the poor house.😄 Its great for gamers though. It makes you Sony boys change the narrative. Now you gotta come up with something else besides the same old stuff about Ms first party studios.
You need to take a breath and read more careful what ive said ;) You guys were keep saying that something like that will not happen.The L is for you not for Microsoft lol

May 20, 2008
That's again debatable,and remains to be seen.I mean when they are about to give their fanboys an L,they need to say something that will appease them lol
You need to take a breath and read more careful what ive said ;) You guys were keep saying that something like that will not happen.The L is for you not for Microsoft lol
You guys? When did I say that. I've been saying the opposite. That whole zenimax purchase had nothing to do with sony. It was to keep amazon and google from going after them.

How is it a L for anyone that you're bragging about buying Microsoft games. In going to be playing it on Xbox first, playing the best version and getting it almost nothing when you will have none of that.😄

May 20, 2008
So you thought that Ms would release the games on Ps5 ?Did you said that and i didn't saw it?
I've always said exclusives aren't gonna matter much as time on and Microsoft doesn't see Sony as their biggest competitor anymore because there isn't much Sony can do to hurt them but Google and Amazon can. Just look what happened last gen. Sony outsold Microsoft 2 to 1 but the money they made doesn't show it. It all about software and services now.

That's why you see more PS games going to PC and games like MLB the Show going multiplatform. Microsoft has always been up front about what their plans for the future are so anything they do isn't that surprising. Sony, not so much. They've stumbled with their plans for Gaikai and have fallen too far behind with their services and Ms knows this, hence the deal they struck to allow sony to use azure servers. Big AAA Games are getting more expensive to make and selling 5 or 6 million copies are going to be needed just to break even. So yes, I saw this happening years ago. Just look at what happened with MLB the Show. The truth of the matter is that Major League Baseball wanted more money for the license and they see other sports franchises like Fifa, Madden and NBA 2k making more money so it was either Sony lose that 1st party exclusive license or go multiplatform...or allow EA to come into the picture. Easy choice in my opinion since Sony will benefit more from the deal. Just like Ms will benefit more from allowing their games on other consoles. Just look at all the money they have made from Minecraft alone. Does this mean we'll see future God Of War on xbox? Probably not but its a stronger possibility on PC which is probably ok with Ms because they consider the PC as part of their ecosystem.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
Does this mean we'll see future God Of War on xbox? Probably not but its a stronger possibility on PC
:unsure: Sony relies too much on the traditional business model... se we will probably never see big Sony exclusives landing on PC at launch. They don't have anything like Game Pass to back them up in the long run.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
I've always said exclusives aren't gonna matter much as time on and Microsoft doesn't see Sony as their biggest competitor anymore because there isn't much Sony can do to hurt them but Google and Amazon can. Just look what happened last gen. Sony outsold Microsoft 2 to 1 but the money they made doesn't show it. It all about software and services now.

That's why you see more PS games going to PC and games like MLB the Show going multiplatform. Microsoft has always been up front about what their plans for the future are so anything they do isn't that surprising. Sony, not so much. They've stumbled with their plans for Gaikai and have fallen too far behind with their services and Ms knows this, hence the deal they struck to allow sony to use azure servers. Big AAA Games are getting more expensive to make and selling 5 or 6 million copies are going to be needed just to break even. So yes, I saw this happening years ago. Just look at what happened with MLB the Show. The truth of the matter is that Major League Baseball wanted more money for the license and they see other sports franchises like Fifa, Madden and NBA 2k making more money so it was either Sony lose that 1st party exclusive license or go multiplatform...or allow EA to come into the picture. Easy choice in my opinion since Sony will benefit more from the deal. Just like Ms will benefit more from allowing their games on other consoles. Just look at all the money they have made from Minecraft alone. Does this mean we'll see future God Of War on xbox? Probably not but its a stronger possibility on PC which is probably ok with Ms because they consider the PC as part of their ecosystem.
No the reason Sony put games such as Horizon on PC was to convert players to buy a PlayStation so they could buy a PS5 for Horizon and they do it for those benefits. Yes MLB going multiplatform was due to Major League Baseball wanting more. Stadia has been a flop so far and hopefully Amazon streaming service too.

MS always had more resources but Sony has created teams from scratch and now matter what there are people who would rather stick to the original model. Lots of places in the world don't have good enough internet to fully stream everything and some countries. Plus some places in the world internet is super expensive.

May 20, 2008
No the reason Sony put games such as Horizon on PC was to convert players to buy a PlayStation so they could buy a PS5 for Horizon and they do it for those benefits. Yes MLB going multiplatform was due to Major League Baseball wanting more. Stadia has been a flop so far and hopefully Amazon streaming service too.
Nah, you don't put games on other platforms to convert them to buying your console. You keep it off for that. They do it for for the opportunity to gain extra sales and to expand the ecosystem and you don't need the hardware to do that.

MS always had more resources but Sony has created teams from scratch and now matter what there are people who would rather stick to the original model. Lots of places in the world don't have good enough internet to fully stream everything and some countries. Plus some places in the world internet is super expensive.
Created teams of what? If you are talking about game studios, Sony got the majority of theirs the same way Microsoft did. They purchased them . I think Sony Sony purchased both Naughty Dog and Santa Monica between 1999 and 2001 iirc.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Nah, you don't put games on other platforms to convert them to buying your console. You keep it off for that. They do it for for the opportunity to gain extra sales and to expand the ecosystem and you don't need the hardware to do that.

Created teams of what? If you are talking about game studios, Sony got the majority of theirs the same way Microsoft did. They purchased them . I think Sony Sony purchased both Naughty Dog and Santa Monica between 1999 and 2001 iirc.
This is one of the quotes Hulst mentioned when Horizon was revealed. They do games not side by side PC release date as you know. Horizon 2 got revealed not long after this. Plus sales too as you mentioned above the done it for as well.

“I think it’s important that we stay open to new ideas of how to introduce more people to PlayStation,” said Hulst. “And [to] show people maybe what they’ve been missing out on.”

Yes Sony did it through companies that were small and had potential now they have some of the best gaming teams in the industry.

Microsoft changed Rare it was going downhill and going further downhill maybe their new game might be decent. MS had to buy big recently infact they change their story a lot.

Last edited:

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
Gamepass is fine for smaller games and 5-10 hour games. Not for huge games like Elder scrolls 6 and starfield.In the end he will pay more and he wont even have the games
I'm still wondering what the maths of this person are, if he applied any.

BTW... you can get Game Pass Ultimate for USD7 a month these days. I'll probably extend my subscription up to 2022.

P.S. I've just extended my subscription to Jan-2023 :giggle:

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2005
I'm still wondering what the maths of this person are, if he applied any.

BTW... you can get Game Pass Ultimate for USD7 a month these days. I'll probably extend my subscription up to 2022.

P.S. I've just extended my subscription to Jan-2023 :giggle:
Good boy you are a good client (y)