Migration test on home server successful!

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK
Just to keep everyone informed about what's happening with the migration process of vBulletin to IPB, so far everything seems to be working as intended! After taking the forum data I imported the forum database into my home server and then went ahead with a test migration. For those that were keeping an eye on the shoutbox you might have seen me doing frequent updates on how I was progressing. Let's put it this way - it took much longer than I thought it would!

Now the main reason it took so long is because my home server is only something very small, we're talking about a NAS with only 512MB RAM and a 2GHz ARM Marvell CPU so it's nothing compared to this server. I would imagine that if I did the same importing process on this server then it would take a fraction of the time.

Anyway once I completed the IPB installation I then started to migrate the vBulletin data across to IPB and all I can say is blimey, it took just as long as the importing process! Now because of there being different configurations and my server having an older version of certain software on here, it meant that some of the data couldn't be copied across so in some of the screenshots you will see places where there's negative numbers, disregard those as that would all be fine on this server.

So after 4 solid days of test migration on my NAS I can now say confidently to everyone that we can migrate to IPB without too many issues and things will be so much nicer compared to what you're all used to. :)

What will need to be done by every user (including myself) is this: Update your email addresses! The reason is because during the migration process vB and other forum software have different ways in which they handle the password encryption/decryption, that means that your passwords will not work! We will let you know in advance of when the website will go down, then when it is up you will need to reset your passwords so sorry about the inconvenience in that regard.

I will also be creating a new skin for the website before we move anything across so I will keep you updated in both the shoutbox and on here. So here's some screenshots for everyone to see, hopefully you all will like the new way things work as it's so much nicer and more intuitive. :)

Main forum frontpage:

Member List:

Calendar:

Thread layout:

Member profile:

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
This is awesome stuff. It is a huge step towards moving PSU out of the dark ages and into a modern community.

Thank you, Varsh, for all your hard work, bro.

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
Good work. Great to see it all coming together now.

One question though...

What will need to be done by every user (including myself) is this: Update your email addresses! The reason is because during the migration process vB and other forum software have different ways in which they handle the password encryption/decryption, that means that your passwords will not work! We will let you know in advance of when the website will go down, then when it is up you will need to reset your passwords so sorry about the inconvenience in that regard.
So what exactly are you saying there? Update my email address? How do I do that? Do you mean just go to my settings/edit profile/change password? or something else?

If my password is not going to work how can I log in and change it?

I can be a dunce at times and I'm not quite getting what you suggest is required. Sorry, i'll go sit in the corner :dunce

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK
Yes it's just your profile settings. If you know that you can access that email address then there's no need to update it. When the new forums are up all you would need to do is click "forgot my password".

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="IntoxNitram, post: 6419718]Sounds good, better software choice for sure! May I ask why you picked this over Xenforo though?[/QUOTE]

Value for the dollar, primarily. Xenforo was on our shortlist, but ultimately we felt PSU's money was better spent with IPB.

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6419747]Value for the dollar, primarily. Xenforo was on our shortlist, but ultimately we felt PSU's money was better spent with IPB.[/QUOTE]

Also the default feature set of Xenforo, while the software itself is better than all messageboards available, is lacking in most areas. The development speed of Xenforo is so slow that its not even funny. It's a real shame as that would have easily been my number 1 choice but due to so many limitations it just simply couldn't be chosen.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
Looks good! I'm anxious how this will affect visiting and posting habits. I'm worried that the difficulty of (micro)managing "new posts" will increase with the number of subforums.
Exciting times :) :S

Jan 27, 2015
[QUOTE="Varsh, post: 6419754]Also the default feature set of Xenforo, while the software itself is better than all messageboards available, is lacking in most areas. The development speed of Xenforo is so slow that its not even funny. It's a real shame as that would have easily been my number 1 choice but due to so many limitations it just simply couldn't be chosen.[/QUOTE]
Strange you went with IPB then, since IPB 4 was meant to launch in November 2014 and something but still isn't around. All softwares seem to have awfully slow development cycles as of recent. Good luck with IPB! Hope it helps PSU continue on well.

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK
I was mentioning frequently about IPB4 in the Summer but like you said, it never appeared though it looks like it will be soon, however we decided to stick with something tried and tested, has mature mods, and is feature rich - IPB was the only one that fit this bill.

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
[QUOTE="Varsh, post: 6420015]...however we decided to stick with something tried and tested, has mature mods, and is feature rich - IPB was the only one that fit this bill.[/QUOTE]

then like Goldilocks porridge it's just right :)

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
[QUOTE="Varsh, post: 6420015]I was mentioning frequently about IPB4 in the Summer but like you said, it never appeared though it looks like it will be soon, however we decided to stick with something tried and tested, has mature mods, and is feature rich - IPB was the only one that fit this bill.[/QUOTE]

Thank goodness the new forum will have mature mods--the ones we have right now are childish and immature. :lol:

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
[QUOTE="Varsh, post: 6420056]You know what I mean by that. Stop pulling my leg. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know EXACTLY what you meant by that, I read your post in the admin section:

Varsh said:
Guys, our mods are childish and immature, they gotta go.
:snicker

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK
You know if there were ever words to be put in my mouth, those were the best yet. :lol:

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
[QUOTE="Varsh, post: 6420070]You know if there were ever words to be put in my mouth, those were the best yet. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Varsh, you gotta learn to stand by your words dude, you won't see Chris denying that he said:

Christopher said:
Fuck PSU and the community. Seriously, we'd have better discussion if we just allowed the bots to post and banned all our existing users.
:snicker

Bitbydeath

Power Member
Sep 10, 2005
You guys checked out the EU PS Forums?
They have a pretty decent skin on it.

Having all the menus on one page is a great idea.

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/English-Forums/ct-p/55#catList

Has scrolling at the top and bottom but if it were just restricted to just a single page with no scrolling would look pretty sweeet.

Posts also have decent separation between OP and following posts.

Font is a bit big and some other things don't look so great but definitely a step up in the right direction.

Last edited:

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="darky89, post: 6433907]Anything new to add about the new forum situation?[/QUOTE]

We added your face and the servers crashed. Didn't want any part of that. So everyone thank Darky for any future delays.