More original IPs and less console-to-handheld ported titles, please...

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
What are the chances that we'll see some more original IPs from developers on the NGP instead of the usual console-to-handheld ported titles? Supposedly the power of the NGP will be on the same level as current-gen consoles, so we should be seeing a lot more big-budget titles. Uncharted, Killzone, God of War... yeah, they're all great games but I want to see something new. So shouldn't the first wave of NGP titles establish a wider demographic by showing off the tech's potential? Not to say that Nintendo is doing any better with the 3DS because their launch titles seem pretty "meh", in my opinion.

Sep 29, 2008
Those games are technical powerhouses so I would say they show off the system very well. They are just getting started, it takes time for development to really ramp up for new hardware but in the meantime people will have the classic franchises they know to play.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="Blackout'08, post: 5495215]Those games are technical powerhouses so I would say they show off the system very well. They are just getting started, it takes time for development to really ramp up for new hardware but in the meantime people will have the classic franchises they know to play.[/QUOTE]
Well, apart from Patapon and LocoRoco, I really don't remember any new IPs Sony established for the PSP.

That's why I hope it's different for the NGP this time around.

*goo

Elite Guru
Aug 2, 2008
I'm speculating that we'll see a lot of porting in the early days as it's potentially a quick and easy way for developers to make money. After that, the 'new' games should start to break through. I'm not against it since there are quite a few really good games and it's a good way to obtain developer support for the product.

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
The need for new, fresh IPs is not a problem of handhelds only. While sure, Sony could've done a bit better a job at offering more new franchises for PSP, I feel that doesn't really matter because of 3rd parties doing better than a great job in offering all kinds of cool new stuff. And since the sequels/spin-offs from Sony have been of the quality of Killzone Liberation (still the best Killzone game, imho), Wipeout Pure/Pulse, Everybody's Golf, the two Syphon Filter games, God of War: Ghost of Sparta and whatnot, in addition to offering us brilliant games like the LocoRocos, Patapons & Jeanne D'Arc, I don't mind that there weren't that many new ones.

Last edited:

Wasib

Super Elite
Feb 2, 2007
Ultimately it will come down to the third-parties. They should know (based on the PSP experience) that console hand-me-downs will only reach a limited market and also one that will fall away quickly. If they want greater success - they need to invest in new IP. And that pretty much goes for the video-game industry as a whole!

Sony need to provide a strong platform. That is their primary job.

Judging from the feature list of the NGP Sony has given developers a lot to utilize (Cameras, Motion Sensors, GPS, 3G, Wi-Fi, full array of traditional controls, Augmented reality, front and back touch-screens...)

Furthermore the architecture used in the NGP is not complex to program for either and lots of assets can be transferred over. A lot of the assets used in smart-phone and tablet gaming could also be easily ported over to the NGP and utilization made of the full array of traditional controls.

So it is up to third-parties now to see what they can achieve.

Last edited:

Tibiquera

Superior Member
Oct 14, 2006
The problem with the psp is that it's basically a portable ps2. With the ds, you have some pretty unique games because the touch screen allows for innovative design, which never really was the case with the psp. I'm hoping that with things like the cameras, touch screen, and motion sensor, the ngp will be the place where you'll see the most innovation.

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
here[/URL]) are from established IP's.

Series birthed on the console such as lumines, loco roco, patapon, jeanne d arc, field commander, dead head fred and many more I can't name off my head not only show that the PSP was NOT IP starved, people simply didn't purchase them when they were available.
There were alot of new ip for the psp. if we get around the same amount for ngp, I'll be happy.

vulture

Superior Member
Sep 2, 2007
I prefer ports. Most of what I play are the same types of games I've been playing forever and I'm perfectly happy with that. I love my PSP and didn't like the DS. Everyone criticizes the PSP for not having enough "original experiences" but you know what? Being able to play games like Gran Turismo and GTA Vice City on the go IS AN ORIGINAL EXPERIENCE! When the hell did you get to play ps2 level games on the bus before PSP?

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="vulture, post: 5529126]When the hell did you get to play ps2 level games on the bus before PSP?[/QUOTE]
Technology improving over time is something that we all expect to happen. But that has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

rbrtchng

Forum Guru
Aug 25, 2006
[QUOTE="Blacksite, post: 5495227]Well, apart from Patapon and LocoRoco, I really don't remember any new IPs Sony established for the PSP.

That's why I hope it's different for the NGP this time around.[/QUOTE]

You're kidding right Badman?

I sense Dissidia in your words.

I mean, prinny please.

There are tons of Half Minute pleasures and many Brave Stories, like Jean d'Arc.

If Legend of Heroes is not your cup of tea, might I suggest a Puzzle Quest like Lumines?

vulture

Superior Member
Sep 2, 2007
[QUOTE="Blacksite, post: 5530048]Technology improving over time is something that we all expect to happen. But that has nothing to do with what I was talking about.[/QUOTE]

True you were talking about original IPs, and what I am saying is that even if it's not an original IP, playing highly polished (near) current gen home console quality titles on the go is still an original experience and the novelty of it is something that, for me at least, never really wears off (or at least doesn't for a long time).

If I had to choose between the uncertainty of a new IP and the certainty of tried and true gameplay of any number of ps3 games I love, I'd pick the ports every time. Give me ports first, then we can talk about original IPs-- IMO.