Mortal Engines

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006

Mortal Engines, along with Predator's Gold, Infernal Devices, and A Darkling Plain by Philip Reeve were my favorite books to read growing up. Some people are pointing out differences in the movie, such as the female lead Hester Shaw not appearing to be nearly as disfigured as she was in the books, but that really doesn't bother me. The screenplay is written by the writers of the Lord of the Rings movies (Peter Jackson is said to have bought the rights to adapting the movie as soon as he finished reading the books) so I am optimistic about Mortal Engines being entertaining and (mostly) faithful to the source material.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
I'm probably not the target audience for this, but there is some silly CG in the trailer. Some really nice CG too! But mostly over-the-top hollywood type stuff. Like the sequence at 1:50... yeah, i kinda sign out mentally when i see stuff like that.

Here's hoping that all the silliness was on display in the trailer, and the actual movie has some substance.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Nothing is sillier than the scene in Jurassic World where the redhead successfully runs away from a T-Rex while wearing high heels.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Nothing is sillier than the scene in Jurassic World where the redhead successfully runs away from a T-Rex while wearing high heels.
Yeah, Jurassic World in it's entirety (imho) was a bit silly. The originals still hold up to this day, and it's nice to see the actors actually interacting with 'the world'. When CG is lapped over everything, you get this odd sense that nothing in the world has any tangibility to it.

Like in the section i noted... does a bit of debris not get kicked up into her face? She just pulls off some weird looking shimmy like nothing was even there (because there wasn't anything there) and then continues on her merry way.

But again, im probs not the target audience. As i say, my mind literally switches off when i see CG used this way. Maybe it's just the way that it is cut (more specifically the way Hollywood edits)? A while back I watched a youtube video which looked at the way Jackie Chan edits his movies compared to Hollywood, and it is quite aggravating when the editor makes 100 cuts in a sequence... like, i'm trying to watch the movie. Stop jerking me this way and that way.

Peter Jackson used CG really well in LoTR, but the reason i bring up CG at all is because The Hobbit happened and the CG in that film was

Last edited: